Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Lian Hearn's Newest: The Storyteller and His Three Daughters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Lian Hearn's Newest: The Storyteller and His Three Daughters Reply with quote
Lian Hearn's newest book, "The Storyteller and His Three Daughters", is now available in the USA on Kindle (and elsewhere in print). It's a great story that centers on the life of a rakugo storyteller and his family-not to mention his involvement with the Black Ocean secret society. We found it to be an excellent combination of historical fiction with a family drama, with the family of Akabane Sei weathering the changes wrought by the Meiji Restoration.

You can check out our full review on the Shogun-ki: A Tale Of Badgers And Tigers: Lian Hearn’s “The Storyteller And His Three Daughters”.
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, Tatsu, for the comprehensive and thoughtful review. I owe so much to the support and expert knowledge of s-a members. Thanks to all Very Happy

The book is available for all e-book platforms at the publisher: http://www.ligatu.re/book/the-storyteller-and-his-three-daughters
Blossoms and Shadows, my previous historical novel, about Choshu in the Bakumatsu, will also be available in the US soon.
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
heron wrote:
Thanks, Tatsu, for the comprehensive and thoughtful review. I owe so much to the support and expert knowledge of s-a members. Thanks to all Very Happy

The book is available for all e-book platforms at the publisher: http://www.ligatu.re/book/the-storyteller-and-his-three-daughters
Blossoms and Shadows, my previous historical novel, about Choshu in the Bakumatsu, will also be available in the US soon.

Heron, Though I fortunately, have both of these books, I'm pleased to hear they are available or soon available in the U.S.

I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. In Blossoms and Shadows I was intrigued by young Katsura Kogoro (Kido Takahashi) and Monta (Inoue Kaoru), and interested in the daring of women. It was such a complex and exciting era.

In The Storyteller and His Three Daughters,
I couldn't put the book down. The daughters were surprisingly odd in different ways. Again, so much intrigue happening all around, I was especially tantalized by the tie in with the emperor. Wow!
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just saw Blossoms and Shadows on Audible. I figured they'd never do an audiobook because of all the Japanese terms and names, but it looks like one of the VA's is Japanese (or at least Japanese descent). Granted, my early impression is that she sounds like Foghorn Leghorn with a Japanese accent, but...
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an audible account, so I'm definitely adding that to my list.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll be happy to know that the VA sounds like a normal woman on the downloaded version. I guess the preview I heard with Foghorn was messed up Laughing
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Audible were really great over the recording. I liked the voices, but I haven't listened to much of it because (ironic smile) I can't download from Australia.

Gracia, thanks again for your help particularly with The Storyteller. I became interested in those young men when I was in Yamaguchi prefecture in 1999, but the one I really liked after finishing Blossoms was Kusaka Genzui. Such a fascinating character, and a short, tragic life.
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
heron wrote:
Audible were really great over the recording. I liked the voices, but I haven't listened to much of it because (ironic smile) I can't download from Australia.

Gracia, thanks again for your help particularly with The Storyteller. I became interested in those young men when I was in Yamaguchi prefecture in 1999, but the one I really liked after finishing Blossoms was Kusaka Genzui. Such a fascinating character, and a short, tragic life.

Your welcome. I was honored to be asked to help! It's two years now since I began doing research for my historical biographies of two Meiji women and one man, and a year since I joined a monthly writers group. I've finished 14 Chapters and am two-thirds along, so I may be ready by summer to send you and Tatsunoshi my full draft in progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: