Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Honorifics and names in the ancient times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hashiba_hideyoshi
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Member for 4 years

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Honorifics and names in the ancient times Reply with quote
I've read that the honorifics commonly used today, like chan, san, kun, and so forth are modern.

So back in the old days, like Muromachi or Edo era, was there ever an equivalent of those honorifics? You have dono and sama and no kimi for those with higher status, but what about the common folk? Do they just call each other by name without any honorifics attached?

And how do samurai usually call each other? Recently I watched the movies "Floating Castle" (Nobou no Shiro?) and "Kiyosu Conference". In Floating Castle, the people were calling each other by their titles, barring a few exceptions. Like, the guy they keep calling "Tanba" was called such because he's the lord of Tanba, not because it was his name.

In Kiyosu conference, Niwa Nagahide keeps on being addressed as "Goroza" and Hideyoshi as "Toukichirou". Those are not quite childhood names as far as I know, but it's not their formal names either.

Are these movies just taking artistic liberties or...?
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My understanding is that "-san" effectively comes from a corruption of "-sama"--over time the "ma" was just shortened to a simple, nasalized "n".

Modes of Address - SengokuDaimyo.com

This article is targeted at members of the SCA, but covers some of it.

I'm not sure about peasants and what they did. I would suspect that "-sama", at least, eventually was picked up by everybody, as I'm not sure that it carries the same weight that something like "-dono" does.

-Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: