Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Any recs on Hideyoshi bOoks aside from Berry's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hashiba_hideyoshi
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Member for 4 years

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Any recs on Hideyoshi bOoks aside from Berry's? Reply with quote
The SA store only listed Bery's and I'm wondering if there are any other good ones I can take a look at? The only ones I know of are the one by Turnbull and the "Swordless Samurai". I've heard Turnbull's books are a bit suspect so I hesitate to buy that one, and Swordles Samurai seems to be some kind of philosophy book instead of history, so...
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Berry is really about it. Turnbull's only covers part of Hideyoshi's career (and poorly at that-lots of nice pictures, as usual with Turnbull) and Swordless Samurai, while quite good, is kind of a fiction/philosophy cross with little vignettes that demonstrate Hideyoshi's wisdom which are then applied to the modern world.

There's also a much older book from 1888, Walter Denning's "The Life of Toyotomi Hideyoshi". As with most Western books on Japan from that era, loaded with errors and myth presented as fact, but on the bright side it's on the web HERE.
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, there are plenty of books on Hideyoshi in Japanese, but as Tatsu said, Berry's book is pretty much it in English.

And at the risk of playing the "we don't need to study that any more because it's been done" card, Berry's book is so good that it would take some significant change in historical methodology or some new information to surface for me to see a reason for someone to do a monograph/biography on Hideyoshi in toto. Whatever you think of her other books, Berry's Hideyoshi is a magnificent book, and as far as I am concerned the be-all, end-all of understanding Hideyoshi just as Lamers is for Nobunaga. (One day we'll get a better one for Ieyasu than Totman's mailed-in effort...)
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Morgan Pitelka is working on an Ieyasu book. That is what he tweeted to Rekishi no Tabi.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Morgan Pitelka is working on an Ieyasu book. That is what he tweeted to Rekishi no Tabi.

Ieyasu as told through his pipe, a pair of sandals, and a tea bowl? Laughing

Just playing around--Pitelka's part of the new crop of good young historians coming up, like Spafford. He'll do a good job.
hashiba_hideyoshi
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Member for 4 years

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
Berry is really about it. Turnbull's only covers part of Hideyoshi's career (and poorly at that-lots of nice pictures, as usual with Turnbull) and Swordless Samurai, while quite good, is kind of a fiction/philosophy cross with little vignettes that demonstrate Hideyoshi's wisdom which are then applied to the modern world.

There's also a much older book from 1888, Walter Denning's "The Life of Toyotomi Hideyoshi". As with most Western books on Japan from that era, loaded with errors and myth presented as fact, but on the bright side it's on the web HERE.

Ergh... I saw the book you linked. Was debating on whether or not it's worth looking at. I don't think I know enough to tell what is bull and what is truth D:

I want to read it, but I'm scared of buying into the lies.

Okay, I'll definitely pick up Berry's. I'm hoping to be able to learn more of what kind of stuff Hideyoshi did while under Nobunaga, if there's any info of it at all. I felt like those stuff is the foundation for what he will eventually do after Honnoji and stuff, buuut... that's just me and my amateur thinking. Maybe I won't really need those info much after all. But it's still cool to know how/what he did to get promoted into such high ranks (and I'm also curious what exactly did he do that Nobunaga allowed him to adopt Otsugimaru, because I really don't think Nobunaga gives away his kids that easily).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: