Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Carmen's Articles on Japanese History/Suite 101
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Fukuzawa Yukichi Reply with quote
Back to Japanese history, my latest article is on Fukuzawa Yukichi, a samurai who traveled the world and adjusted to become a powerfully influential man in the Meiji Era.

Historian Marius Jansen put Fukuzawa on a pedestal in The Making of Modern Japan, "Beyond the voyage of 1860 and the time of his death in 1901 Fukuzawa earned recognition as nineteenth-century Japan's foremost modernizer. Founder of Keio, destined to become Japan's first private university, commentator on cultural and public matters in a never-ending series of essays and books, his influence permeated every aspect of Meiji life."

A Driving Force in the Modernization of Japan: Fukuzawa Yukichi

Carmen
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Asian American Novels on the Theme of Japanese Invasions Reply with quote
Two American novelists, Ha Jin and Chang-rae Lee choose to represent Japanese invasions through different lenses, but both with skilled objectivity. In Nanjing Requiem, Jin focuses on an American missionary woman who helps save Chinese women. In The Gesture Life, Chang-rae Lee juxtaposes the two lives of Hata as a Japanese soldier in Borneo and as a Japanese gentleman in California.

Comparison of WWII Novels by Ha Jin and Chang-rae Lee

Carmen
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: End of Suite 101 articles and the beginning of a book Reply with quote
At this time, I won't be writing any more articles on Suite 101 Online Magazine and Writer's Network. It has evolved into something more like a social media connected by themes. Authors can create their own theme like Asian History and gather people around them. It would take more time than I have right now. I realized it reminds me of nurturing and feeding a tamagotch(i). I'm sure it will appeal to others.

All in all, having deadlines for Suite 101, helped me to increase my writing, and I'm thankful for that.

I'm still interested in writing articles on Asian literature or Japanese history. Moreover, what I am spending most of my time on now is a book of biographies of Meiji women and men.

Carmen
Hosokawa Gracia
Ronin
Ronin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Time to Update Links Reply with quote
In the next couple of months, I will update my articles in full on my blog, Japanese History Enthusiast, by eliminating the links to the now defunct Suite 101.

Gracias,

Gracia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: