Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Uesugi Kenshin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:

It was too impractical to send whole heads back to Hideyoshi, so the samurai shipped back pickled ears and noses to Hideyoshi instead. Ya gotta present your war trophies, you know?

And opened the door for 'abuses' and 'fraud' to inflate 'body counts'. With just ears and noses you don't see who they were attached to.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
evalerio wrote:
And opened the door for 'abuses' and 'fraud' to inflate 'body counts'. With just ears and noses you don't see who they were attached to.

Yep, IIRC Turnbull's "Samurai Invasion" mentions samurai hacking noses and ears off of live folks just to up their score.

The invasions of Korea were extremely brutal. Even pet dogs were hacked to pieces. Shocked
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Even pet dogs were hacked to pieces. Shocked

Keeping in mind the location, was this cruelty or lunch?
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Keeping in mind the location, was this cruelty or lunch?

Samurai going native? Wink
LordKenshin
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jemmus wrote:
LordKenshin wrote:
well it would have been interesting to see him fight the Oda

On the topic of Kenshin, I thought you might find this interesting: A Japanese biography if Kenshin published around 1999 theorized that he had the psychological condition "multiple personality disorder." I guess we can add that one to the theories that he a) was gay, and B) that he was actually a (very masculine) woman in disguise.

It's too bad more isn't known about him. Who knows, maybe someday some new historical sources will be discovered that will give us a better description of him. Otherwise I guess we'll always just be stuck with guesses and conjecture.

there is no way that is true!
Nakashi
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LordKenshin wrote:
jemmus wrote:
LordKenshin wrote:
well it would have been interesting to see him fight the Oda

On the topic of Kenshin, I thought you might find this interesting: A Japanese biography if Kenshin published around 1999 theorized that he had the psychological condition "multiple personality disorder." I guess we can add that one to the theories that he a) was gay, and B) that he was actually a (very masculine) woman in disguise.

It's too bad more isn't known about him. Who knows, maybe someday some new historical sources will be discovered that will give us a better description of him. Otherwise I guess we'll always just be stuck with guesses and conjecture.

there is no way that is true!

You never know! I would not bve surprised. I doubt it

Nakashi
LordKenshin
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I highly doubt that but whatever.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought a book today that is a collection of contemporary 16th century letters written by, to, and about, Sengoku daimyo. There is one about Uesugi Kenshin written by Konoe Sakihisa in Kyoto that I thought was pretty interesting/funny. The book is in my hotel room, and I'm at a public computer, so I am just paraphrasing, but essentially Konoe is writing about his major hangover, brought on by nightly visits to his mansion by Ashikaga Yoshiteru and Uesugi Kenshin and their entourage of a "horde of cute young boys", which results in drunken revelry until the morning hours. He wraps up the letter saying that "Kenshin really likes young boys".

Laughing I couldn't make this stuff up.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I must have this book!!!!

Tony
BadMonk
Merchant
Merchant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
More propaganda put out by that darned Nobunaga, no doubt!!! I doubt it

But really, on the subject of Kenshin, how can NHK have never of done a Taiga series on Kenshin? Surely that would be one of their highest rated I would think. But then I'm slightly prejudiced (hence the name!).

Here is a list of all the series so far:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiga_drama

kitsuno wrote:
I bought a book today that is a collection of contemporary 16th century letters written by, to, and about, Sengoku daimyo. There is one about Uesugi Kenshin written by Konoe Sakihisa in Kyoto that I thought was pretty interesting/funny. The book is in my hotel room, and I'm at a public computer, so I am just paraphrasing, but essentially Konoe is writing about his major hangover, brought on by nightly visits to his mansion by Ashikaga Yoshiteru and Uesugi Kenshin and their entourage of a "horde of cute young boys", which results in drunken revelry until the morning hours. He wraps up the letter saying that "Kenshin really likes young boys".

Laughing I couldn't make this stuff up.

Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bad Monk,

Next year's NHK Sunday night taiga drama, (and like everybody who knows a thing or two about taiga dramas already knows this Just Kidding ) is about Kenshin, so hold your horses. Speaking of which, I'm sure you are familiar about the stories regarding Kenshin and his favorite stallion, "Blackie", yes? Laughing

There is another famous letter by a high-ranking Murakami retainer named Kurouma Bakatari that discussed in detail much of the "horsing" around that Kenshin used to like to partake in. Apparently Kurouma liked horses, too. I just looked his name up in the Sengoku Ahomei Jiten and found out that he died after being kicked in the head by a horse during a banquet thrown by Kenshin. Hmmm... More Oda propaganda?

Also, when quoting something, can you place the quote at the top of the post, where it's supposed to be? Thanks.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi

Last edited by Obenjo Kusanosuke on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of the world's shortest books-"Sengoku Daimyo Who WEREN'T Sexual Deviants (By Today's Standards)".
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The book is: 手紙から読み解く戦国武将意外な真実

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
BadMonk wrote:

But really, on the subject of Kenshin, how can NHK have never of done a Taiga series on Kenshin? Surely that would be one of their highest rated I would think. But then I'm slightly prejudiced (hence the name!).

Here is a list of all the series so far:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiga_drama

If you want to know what (most of) the Taiga drama are about, try the S-A Wiki. http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=NHK_Taiga_Drama They did do one on Kenshin some time ago.
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dammit, I just placed an order with Amazon, too!!

Thanks, man. It's now safely in my shopping cart. Smile

Tony
BadMonk
Merchant
Merchant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Bad Monk,

Next year's NHK Sunday night taiga drama, (and like everybody who knows a thing or two about taiga dramas already knows this Just Kidding ) is about Kenshin, so hold your horses. Speaking of which, I'm sure you are familiar about the stories regarding Kenshin and his favorite stallion, "Blackie", yes? Laughing

There is another famous letter by a high-ranking Murakami retainer named Kurouma Bakatari that discussed in detail much of the "horsing" around that Kenshin used to like to partake in. Apparently Kurouma liked horses, too. I just looked his name up in the Sengoku Ahomei Jiten and found out that he died after being kicked in the head by a horse during a banquet thrown by Kenshin. Hmmm... More Oda propaganda?

Also, when quoting something, can you place the quote at the top of the post, where it's supposed to be? Thanks.

Ok.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Kenshin taiga Reply with quote
TEN TO CHI TO (1969 )
Was the Kenshin Taiga Drama ,but unseen by almost everybody .

Next years Taiga will have Kenshin but only for the opening few episodes ,still the depiction of the Echigo war after Kenshin's demise (sharp stick anyone ??sorry i know its a myth but a damn good one )should make this well worth it ,in fact after a year of the current crap Chushingura would even be welcome .
BadMonk
Merchant
Merchant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Kenshin taiga Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
TEN TO CHI TO (1969 )
Was the Kenshin Taiga Drama ,but unseen by almost everybody .

Next years Taiga will have Kenshin but only for the opening few episodes ,still the depiction of the Echigo war after Kenshin's demise (sharp stick anyone ??sorry i know its a myth but a damn good one )should make this well worth it ,in fact after a year of the current crap Chushingura would even be welcome .

Hopefully next year Kenshin wont be played by a Manga-looking rock star w/ a nose job!
RollingWave
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am most amused that in the Hideki Miyashita Sengoku series, Kenshin looks exactly like Vladimir Putin. but yes, I could seen Kenshin riding a horse naked, it was probably even a common occurrence.
Laughing

Kenshin seems to be completely inexplicable, he had Kaga and especially Noto set up for the taking for many years already, yet never really bothered to do it until the Oda were closing in on that border. It felt like he enjoyed messing around with Shingen or go on a wild goose chase in Kanto more than actually acquiring easy territory. You could argue that Kaga due to the Ikko thing was more difficult, but in Noto he had the exiled Hatakeyama lord begging him to attack and he only paid lip service and/or put out a half arsed attempt for over a decade.

If Kenshin lived another 10 year what would happen? who knows, the Oda position in Echizhen was hardly secured at the time, having only very recently reacquired it after a massive bloodbath, and towards the end the Ikkos were allied with Kenshin. Yes Nobunaga had proven to be very good at coming back from defeat, at the same time it was almost his entire main retainers in Tedorigawa outside of Akechi that lost to him, and we have letters from Nobunaga saying that he might consider ceding everything in the north to Kenshin. (I guess that means Echizen and Wakasa.)

And as the recent podcast discussed, Oda's large realm was not nearly as secured as one would believe, he's always in fear of rebellion, and indeed the year when Kenshin died, aka when he was suppose to launch his big punch on Oda, was also the time when Matsunaga Hisahide rebelled.

We could theorize, that if Kenshin laid another smack down on the Oda forces in 1577, there would be many others following Matsunaga's rebellion in Jinai, combined with that Honganji was not subdued yet at that time (and allied with Kenshin) things could fall apart quickly for Nobunaga. Remember, very shortly afterwards Bessho clan rebelled and Hideyoshi was trapped in Harima.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: