Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Upcoming Edited Volume on Imjin War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Upcoming Edited Volume on Imjin War Reply with quote
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138786639/

All,

Found this while looking around online, and thought it might be interesting to the group. It will be available in December of this year.

The East Asian War, 1592-1598
International Relations, Violence and Memory
Edited by James B. Lewis

Routledge – 2015 – 416 pages

Quote:
As East Asia regains its historical position as a world centre, information on the history of regional relations becomes ever more critical. Astonishingly, Northeast Asia enjoyed five centuries of international peace from 1400 to 1894, broken only by one major international war – the invasion of Korea in the 1590s by Japan’s ruler Hideyoshi. This war involved Koreans, Japanese, Chinese Southeast Asians and Europeans, saw the largest overseas landing in world history up to that time, and devastated Korea. It also highlighted the nature of the strategic balance in the region, presenting China’s Ming dynasty with a serious threat that perhaps foreshadowed the dynasty’s subsequent overthrow by the Manchus, played a major part in the establishment of the Tokugawa regime with its policy of peace and controlled access to seventeenth and eighteenth century Japan, and demonstrated the importance for regional stability of the subtle relationship of Korea to both China and Japan. This book presents a comprehensive analysis of the war and its aftermath in all its aspects – military, political, social and economic, and cultural. As such it deepens understanding of East Asian international relations and provides important insights into the strategic forces that continue to operate in the region at present.

ToC:

Introduction James B. Lewis

Part 1: International and Domestic Background
1. Japanese-Korean and Japanese-Chinese Relations in the Sixteenth Century Saeki Kōji
2. Korea’s Pre-war Domestic Situation and Relations with Japan Han Moon Jong
3. Violence, Trade, and Impostors in Korean-Japanese Relations, 1510-1609 Kenneth R. Robinson

Part 2: War
4. The Imjin Waeran: Contrasting the First and the Second Invasions of Korea Kitajima Manji
5. Hideyoshi’s View of Chosŏn Korea and Japan-Ming Negotiations Sajima Akiko
6. Post-war Domain Source Material on Hideyoshi’s Invasion of Korea: The Wartime Memoirs of Shimazu Soldiers Murai Shōsuke
7. The Role of the Chosŏn Navy and Major Naval Battles During the Imjin Waeran Yi Min’ung
8. Righteous Army Activity in the Imjin War Nukii Masayuki
9. Ming Grand Strategy and the Intervention in Korea Kenneth M. Swope
10. Wanli China versus Hideyoshi’s Japan: Rethinking China’s Involvement in the Imjin Waeran Harriet Zurndorfer
11. The Celestial Warriors: Military Aid and Abuse during the Korean War, 1592-98 Nam-lin Hur
12: International Relations and the Imjin War James B. Lewis

Part 3: Impact and Memory
13. "The Inestimable Benevolence of Saving a Country on the Brink of Ruin": Chosŏn-Ming and Chosŏn-Later Jin Relations in the Seventeenth Century Han Myung-gi
14. Chosŏn Korea and Ming China After the Imjin Waeran: State Rituals in the Later Chosŏn Period Kuwano Eiji
15. War and Cultural Exchange Ha Woo Bong
16. The Imjin Waeran in Korean and Japanese Literatures Choi Gwan
17. Fashioning Womanly Confucian Virtue: The Virtuous Woman in Post-war Literary Discourse Michael Pettid

Conclusion James B. Lewis

The price is hefty at $170.00 (List price on Routledge's website), but I was impressed to see an edited volume on the Imjin War. I know some of you may screw up your nose to see our friend Ken Swope included (he's actually a nice guy in person, people!) and not SA Hero Samuel Hawley, but I think the mix of Japanese, Korean, Western, and Chinese authors likely serves to balance out biases and limited viewpoints. Editor James B. Lewis is a Koreanist, but I'm sufficiently comforted by the number of Japanese names involved to believe this isn't a one-sided telling of how awful Japan was.

Routledge offers this through their Asian States and Empires series, and series editor Peter Lorge is kind of like an unofficial mentor to me, helping me put my Nagashino work into a publishable book format, so I can vouch for the series as a whole.

Check it out for you Imjinphiles...but maybe from a library near you. Very Happy
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice find (despite the lurking presence of the odious Swope ^_^ ), thanks for posting it. Thanks to the largesse of the Chiba coffers just preordered on Amazon (about $25 cheaper). This might be the well-balanced volume we've been waiting for.
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll be waiting with interest for your review!
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally got my copy of this today. It looks great, all that I was hoping for and more. It won't be of much use to anyone looking for detailed specific military operations (but hey, Hawley and Turnbull have those covered already), but for every other aspect of the war (political/economic/social/etc) it's a gold mine. I flipped through my old pal Kenny Swope's contribution and he has really scaled back the rhetoric and some of the goofier claims he made in his book on the war. Of course, some still survive, like how the mighty Ming cannon forced the Japanese to radically change their tactics (when it can be easily and conclusively proved they didn't-the Japanese had already been fighting that way for years).

I still get a chuckle (although I don't slam my fist on the table) when I see the Shogun-ki's review of his book is the second result on Google when you search 'Kenneth Swope'.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: