Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (PS Vita)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (PS Vita) Reply with quote
A sequel to a Japan-only PS1 game, Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke 2 (published in the West as Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines) was released in North America and Europe this week for the PlayStation Vita, albeit as a PSN-only title in both regions.

The game starts off in 1118, with a disgraced clan executed en masse in response to a series of calamities in Kyoto. The clan (which you as the player gets to name) is resurrected by the gods and scattered to the four winds, tasked with building the strength required to return to Kyoto and wreak vengeance.

However, there is a catch. Actually, make that two catches. First, your clan members (and their offspring) can each live no more than two years, before they die. Secondly, they cannot procreate through normal means, so have to deal with gods willing to go through the appropriate ceremonies. Entire generations of playable characters will be fast-forwarded through by the time the story reaches its conclusion.

Also, while the game has a very stylistic art style, there is one thing that bugs me: when my clan started off in its new (and presumably randomly-allocated) region, it looked awfully like the main island of Okinawa... which is ironic since I called my clan "Matsumae", ahem. (The save screen shows other territories which were not part of Japan at the time, such as Ezo/Hokkaido. While it may be an oversight, I still find it an unfortunate inclusion. Although, I probably shouldn't have used that particular clan name if this was going to be a deal-breaker for me.)

Has anyone else here got a Vita, or PlayStation (Vita) TV, and has tried the game out already?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: