Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Help me please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timing and Precision
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Help me please Reply with quote
Hello anyone! il get right down to the point.. i am Jamaican and have been, for as long as i can remember, extremely fasinated with katanas and Japanese swordsmanship and different styles.. but there are very few places in Jamaica who have even heared of such things and these places do not train in what i need to know .. i am wondering if there is anyone who can possible provide me with any tips , hints , online books , .. anything at all that can help me out. I know i was born to do this .. but it had been a very long , extremely discouraging road for me .. and i finally feel as if im getting somewhere.. so forgive me if i ramble . I only recently was able to track down someone on this wretched island of mine who had a very low quality katana in pritty bad condition.. i was desperate however and paid too much for it .. i in no way regret my decision .. as it is the best i could do.. its impossible to bring down any such weapon i try to order from overseas. and i am looking for anyone .. anywhere .. who has any idea of how i can obtain what i truely feel i deserve.. and more importanty i must learn how to use one .. the few videos i have watched have shown me the great skill and effort required to master some of these techniques. and i can think of nothing more challenging that i would rather do .. this is my first real "lead" on the subject as i have only recently been exposed to the internet.. if there is anyone who can help me in anyway .. or even reply anything at all i would be greateful. My email adress is: bobbymard@hotmail.com
i am also on the msn messenger thingy every now and then .. i would greatly appreciate any kind of reply whatsoever .. as i am desperate to begin some kind of formal treaining (though i have developed quite unique skills with a meter ruler i have used ever since i was about 7 years of age) Smile Thank you for bothering to read my rambling .. and if i have not aggitated anyone too much .. a reply would make my year! thank you
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems you are asking more about Kenjutsu/iaijutsu, (using the sword) so I have moved this to the Martial Arts section. If I misunderstod please correct me.

Jonah Matheson
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
(Moderator hat Off)

As to your question in general, that is if i indeed understood what you asked, you should look in your area for a dojo. i do not know what you are looking for though, whether it be koryu (old styles) or gendai (new styles). But no matter what you want you should first, and only first find a good dojo. And then you can go from there as to what your sensei tells you.

As to helping you find a dojo I can not point you in a direction as to the nearest one to you. However, if you post a similar question as the one above on E-budo I am sure some one can at least give you an idea where to look.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/

Be forwarned if you are looking for a koryu dojo, you mayhave to travel several hour to do so. For instance I have to go about 1hr and 45 mins, one way. And you will have to decide its worth it or not.

Also, you mentioned you had watched videos. DO NOT try and learn from those. The main reason those are made, are not to teach, but instead to be somewhat of a keepsake. Again, the best thing is to find a dojo first.

Jonah Matheson
Timing and Precision
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanx a lot for the help so far guys .. haha and i am not that insane, that i would attempt anything i have seen in those videos :p

However as for the matter of me finding a dojo ,, i have called just about every one on the island i think .. even one with an advertisment in the phone book spelled "Dogo" lol ... i figure at this point my only hope is to find someone on the island who is not a certified teacher , but who can at least "start me in the right direcction"

Thanx a lot for the replies guys .. you have no idea how much it means to me to finally feel like im getting somewhere Smile
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys what you talklin bout? I don't see no stinkin guyS" Smile

You might want to try and search by word of mouth. Alot of koryu to not advertise.

Jonah Matheson
Timing and Precision
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe thanks ladies!! i have tried the whole word of mouth thing and all iv gotten is a kind of confused "get away from me you weirdo" kind of look from ppl .. heh heh .. but i will , as usual continue to ask around Smile
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LADIES......yeah...i will just ignore the whole lady thing. Twisted Evil

I was trying to make a jokeabout the fact that there were no guy'S plural. Just me!

(grumbles to self, "great Tony has something else he can rag me about)

Jonah Matheson
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timing and Precision,

My best piece of advice is to go to every community center and public access building and ask the building owners. You may get lucky. My Iaidou no doujou down in Florida was in a community center and they did not advertise.
My only other recommendation is to join the Iaido-L listserv (do a search for it via Google or you favorite search engine) and ask the folks there. They are very helpful.
Best of luck to you and I hope you find the quality that you seek.

Peace,

Matt
Timing and Precision
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for all the help Ladies and gentlemen !! and w/e else is in this forum Shocked i have been to these centers and have gotten nowhere Sad but i will not give up .. i will try searching online some more thank you all Smile and any further little hints or tips are all greatly appreciated
Bladeswinger
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me please Reply with quote
Timing and Precision wrote:
Hello anyone! il get right down to the point.. i am Jamaican and have been, for as long as i can remember, extremely fasinated with katanas and Japanese swordsmanship and different styles.. but there are very few places in Jamaica who have even heared of such things and these places do not train in what i need to know .. i am wondering if there is anyone who can possible provide me with any tips , hints , online books , .. anything at all that can help me out. I know i was born to do this .. but it had been a very long , extremely discouraging road for me .. and i finally feel as if im getting somewhere.. so forgive me if i ramble . I only recently was able to track down someone on this wretched island of mine who had a very low quality katana in pritty bad condition.. i was desperate however and paid too much for it .. i in no way regret my decision .. as it is the best i could do.. its impossible to bring down any such weapon i try to order from overseas. and i am looking for anyone .. anywhere .. who has any idea of how i can obtain what i truely feel i deserve.. and more importanty i must learn how to use one .. the few videos i have watched have shown me the great skill and effort required to master some of these techniques. and i can think of nothing more challenging that i would rather do .. this is my first real "lead" on the subject as i have only recently been exposed to the internet.. if there is anyone who can help me in anyway .. or even reply anything at all i would be greateful. My email adress is: bobbymard@hotmail.com
i am also on the msn messenger thingy every now and then .. i would greatly appreciate any kind of reply whatsoever .. as i am desperate to begin some kind of formal treaining (though i have developed quite unique skills with a meter ruler i have used ever since i was about 7 years of age) Smile Thank you for bothering to read my rambling .. and if i have not aggitated anyone too much .. a reply would make my year! thank you

Try http://kenjutsukai.tripod.com KIAI magizine. LOTS of useful info on ken.
Timing and Precision
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: me again Reply with quote
hello all .. its me again .. just saying thanks for all the help .. but i am still without a teacher Sad if theres anyone else who has anything to say .. w/e .. id appreciate it
Hiro Katsumoto
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey I come from the USVI and I know how hard it is to find a Dojo for any kind of martial arts. I was on the island of St.Thomas and all we had was a Tae Kwon Do at the community center that was a joke but don't give up.
Timing and Precision
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey there fellow islander! Very Happy i have not given up yet .. and i never will.. i feel like i was born to do this .. and my life now has a big hole that it must fill.. i have been to just about all the websites listing dojos.. but have yet to see one even in the carribbean for that matter. but i am still looking here .. asking around in places where our own local defense force would not dare enter. Just Kidding thanks for the encouragement.. and i will continue to search ..until i find.
Battousai
LOL LOL
LOL LOL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well on your spare time while your not looking for dojos and teachers exc.. why dont you, in a way teach yourself. Read books that teach these things. Some ancient info on learning samurai sword stategy is The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi. You obviously may have to find a translated version. There are many other books besides this one. Another thing is that you must train train train and train some more. Practice your moves slowly as samurai did and find the weaknesses of your moves. Make those weaknesses unnoticable or even perfected so that you know how to counter your opponents actions. Invent your own moves.

On thing to remember is that the physical isnt everything. Your mental strength comes in to play the entire time. To be able to keep your focus and not let adrenaline get to you. It could be your downfall. Frustration will turn you off focus and cause you to make mistakes. Perfect your moves in training yourself mental and physically. I will caution you for what ever you do dont let it be placed in the position of what may be most important in your life. Just teach yourself like I said on your spare time. Find new ways. After all martial arts and sword fighting was taught by man. You are a man. Human in any case. Smile

Cool Battousai Cool
Timing and Precision
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: yo Reply with quote
hey thanks for the support man .. i know these things all too well .. i started practicing since i was about 7 years old .. with broken broomsticks ,, and a meter ruler.. i actually consider myself to be rather good .. i have trained just about every night since then.. i have invented many moves .. and even more counters for others i have seen .. i only began practice cutting when i was 14 .. when i aquired my first real katana ... thanks for the support a lot .. ppls answers really give me a boost and give me some kind of hope Smile
Lazarou's_Ronin
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the only problem with teaching yourself is that you wont have anyone to 'teach you properly' and may end up doing demo's twirling your sword like a baton between backflips all the while squeaking a mantra.. Which isn't what I think you want lol! Have you considered that to pursue your calling, you may have to emigrate? good luck, and don't give up! Very Happy
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Dojo Reply with quote
Hi, Try these dojo ans kwoon in Jamaica. There are more. Jamaica is rife with martial arts, I remember I think in the early 70's Black Dragon MA that was well known in Jamaica. At least they can direct you to what you want. John

Colossus Gym 61 Constant Spring Road (10), , Jamaica - (876) 968-1999
Errol Lyn's International Martial Arts Instruction 25 Annette Cres (10), , Jamaica - (876) 925-0463
First Jamaica Karate Club 5 Lyndhurst Cres (5), , Jamaica - (876) 754-9754
Sidekicks Taekwondo Association 16 Rio Cobre Drive, Spanish Town, Jamaica - (876) 907-4782
Tae Kwon-Do Centre Jamaica 37 Lady Musgrave Road (5), , Jamaica - (876) 978--893
Tai Chi Workshop 10A West Kings House Road (10), , Jamaica - 1 888 824 2441
Wing Lung Kung Fu & Tai Chi Association 176 Old Hope Road (5), , Jamaica - (876) 977-7230
World Zendo Kai Kan Karate Organization Shop17, , Jamaica - (876) 969-8283
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: