Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Heraldry during the Sengoku era...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eval, please give me a reminder in about two weeks. I am leaving for an overseas trip this weekend and can get to this and maybe dig up some more goodies for you when I get back.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Emmanuel, someone who has seen your art on my site has a question. It is here. http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=80032#p80032
Thanks, John
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Emmanuel, one year and no new artworks in this thread ? Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Carlo,

I will look into the 3d skull sashimono and get back to you. A 3d paper mache skull would be simple to build and would not be a burden, so it's possible as a sashimono. When I was in Grade 6 I built life-size paper mache of a swordfish and a 7 foot long crocodile.

Haven't been around as I've taken Obenjo's advise to work on a book. Have finished 140+ sets of banners covering the rise and fall of Takeda Shingen and includes the Hojo, Imagawa, Shinano warlords, half the book feature Uesugi Kenshin and his own dealings with neighboring provinces. Included are battle scene illustrations to complement the banners, showing how the banners were deployed and displayed. Mikatagahara and Nagashino scenario are being illustrated, with the emphasis on 4th Kawanakajima with several illustrations for it.

Individuals whose armour have been identified are illustrated in the battle scenes as 'portraits' to complete their heraldic display. There are 'speculative' depictions of individuals based on screens and woodblock prints. (Sakai Tadatsugu's 3d skull sashimono as an example if I get to do the book on Tokugawa Ieyasu.).

I have so many questions so I will ask them here when I have things sorted out.

My youngest sister gave birth to her first child. So I am also an uncle and babysitter for an adorable 5 month baby boy. Keeping me busy away from the workbench, but enjoying every minute of it.

On my breaks I have started sorting out banners for the rise and fall of Oda Nobunaga.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eval,
That's great. I am looking forward to seeing your book in print!

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, great news indeed. I'll be wanting a copy for sure. John
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same here and wishing you the best. The rise and fall of Nobunaga. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Evalerio,

Just got back from a long deployment and things are doing good and the adjustment here in the states. Things are very fast phase and be able to reabsorb things and the best amenities the world can offer me after 7 months of long slumber in the desert of Afghanistan. Just want to say hi and hope your book will out and can wait to see it. Take care and have fun with your nephew.
evalerio wrote:
Hi Carlo,

I will look into the 3d skull sashimono and get back to you. A 3d paper mache skull would be simple to build and would not be a burden, so it's possible as a sashimono. When I was in Grade 6 I built life-size paper mache of a swordfish and a 7 foot long crocodile.

Haven't been around as I've taken Obenjo's advise to work on a book. Have finished 140+ sets of banners covering the rise and fall of Takeda Shingen and includes the Hojo, Imagawa, Shinano warlords, half the book feature Uesugi Kenshin and his own dealings with neighboring provinces. Included are battle scene illustrations to complement the banners, showing how the banners were deployed and displayed. Mikatagahara and Nagashino scenario are being illustrated, with the emphasis on 4th Kawanakajima with several illustrations for it.

Individuals whose armour have been identified are illustrated in the battle scenes as 'portraits' to complete their heraldic display. There are 'speculative' depictions of individuals based on screens and woodblock prints. (Sakai Tadatsugu's 3d skull sashimono as an example if I get to do the book on Tokugawa Ieyasu.).

I have so many questions so I will ask them here when I have things sorted out.

My youngest sister gave birth to her first child. So I am also an uncle and babysitter for an adorable 5 month baby boy. Keeping me busy away from the workbench, but enjoying every minute of it.

On my breaks I have started sorting out banners for the rise and fall of Oda Nobunaga.
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Emmanuel, I'll purchase a signed copy. Very Happy
Just advise when it'll be ready so me and jhon can do a little advertising. Many people not registered here is still very interested in japanese heraldry.

Congrats for the newborn !

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
evalerio wrote:
depictions of individuals based on screens and woodblock prints. (Sakai Tadatsugu's 3d skull sashimono as an example if I get to do the book on Tokugawa Ieyasu

The details of those screens and woodblock prints would be a great help to me just now. Ian Bottommely
isn't able to find them and I mentioned it seems to remember the matter was discussed here, but I'm no more able to find any of the references.

Templar
Tea Master
Tea Master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A book, that's good news I'll certainly be getting it.
Zenmaster
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found this today. Thought it might be useful. Most of these are familiar. It's a small little icon of sashimono.

http://japanese.reader.bz/sashimono

And these. I imagine they're edo period though.

http://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/bunko30/bunko30_e0252/bunko30_e0252.html

Isaias
Kagemusha
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As this is not so huge question. I think this thread would be suitable for it.
For quite some time now. I have been wondering. What was the difference between heraldry of Yamanouchi and Ogigayatsu Uesugi armies? I have seen only the basic white Sashimono´s with love bird design used for both and since their headays were apparently before the Use of Nobori and Uma Jirushi become more common, so i am having hard time to understand how could the different branches tell apart who were who, because definetely there are records that they clashed against each other.

Maybe someone has come by some interesting Hata Jirushi designs prior Uesugi Kenshin, or maybe even different looking/ coloured Sashimono´s?
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Banners for the Yamanouchi and Ogigayatsu branches of the Uesugi is a source of headaches for me for the chapter on the Uesugi.

I have complete sets of Uesugi dark blue and white. Nobori, uma-jirushi and sashimono in both dark blue and white versions. Hata-jirushi in white version only.

The white hata-jirushi with the Uesugi mon in black would likely be used by both branches of Uesugi. I found this to be common practice in many armies with different members of the same family commanding their own contingents. Different family members may have distinct sets of heraldry, but flying the same hata-jirushi which represented the clan and not any specific family member.

For Uesugi Norimasa, head of the Yamanouchi branch I illustrated his banners based on the banners used by his adopted son Uesugi Kenshin, dark blue Uesugi flags seen above. The red disc on dark blue flag a treasure of the Uesugi House being flown by Kenshin reinforcing that dark blue was used by the Yamanouchi branch. I was pleasantly surprised this is what was shown in the recent TV series 'Furin Kazan' where Gackt Cool adopts Norimasa's dark blue banners, Nagao samurai replacing the Nagao sashimono with Uesugi ones.

I did come across a unique set of white Uesugi banners flown in a Kenshin Matsuri. White banners with black Uesugi mon inside a circle of dark blue. For now I have this associated with Kenshin only.

While I only have Kenshin and later Kagekatsu flying the dark blue versions in the later periods. I have several commanders flying the same white Uesugi banners, Jojo Masashige and Shida Yoshihide as examples. Until I come across more information this is what I currently have.

As in many confrontations within a clan, it is the vassals doing the fighting that would enable combatants to tell friend from foe. As examples, the Nagao fighting for the Yamanouchi branch. Nagao banners used by Kenshin can be seen in the updated page 6 of the Samurai Heraldry Gallery.

I also have a chapter on Otate no Ran where the same questions pop up again. Mad
Kagemusha
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your answer Evalerio. It seems like the most logical one to this interesting dilemma. Cant wait for you to publish as i think your work is more then valuable. bow
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep the good work going Emmanuel. You rule

marder
Page
Page
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Emmanuel

I was looking for some of the lesser known people at Sekigahara on the Gifu screen (which I find so busy as to be confusing). The illustration below shows somewhat central, a Hôjô scale in a circle on a flag with a black triangle at the bottom and lozenges bordering it. I have a similar Hôjô style mon down for the Hirano, and I thought the black zig-zags nearby would be the Fukushima. This would make sense as the Hirano were in Masanori's Division, and the Hirano were reputedly descended from the Hôjô Regents.
Have you anything on file for the Hirano? It appears the banner bearer is directly behind another samurai with a black horo and a gold 3D sashimono, in front of another with a Kyôgoku banner. Would appreciate your thoughts.

eickhorn
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A easy "new member" question, Ashigaru of Takeda Shingen army, should have the sashimono in red with black diamonds? and the samurais? I was lookind for more info on internet, and I didn't found a "clear" guide about..(I'm planning to paint a samurai army in 28mm, so it should be historically accurate...) Thanks!
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
eickhorn wrote:
A easy "new member" question, Ashigaru of Takeda Shingen army, should have the sashimono in red with black diamonds? and the samurais? I was lookind for more info on internet, and I didn't found a "clear" guide about..(I'm planning to paint a samurai army in 28mm, so it should be historically accurate...) Thanks!

A. Standard Takeda sashimono. Using the Hojo system, a central pool of ashigaru, where men were allocated to certain commanders to increase the size of their personal 'division' if assigned an important mission on the battlefield or during a campaign. Taiga drama have shown Shingen using this sashimono early in his career, before he became the head of the clan.

B.This is the sashimono used in reenactments and festivals today honoring Takeda Shingen. This would be the sashimono used by Shingen's personal troops after he became head of the Takeda. The white bars could indicate different companies, Example with one stripe or two for different ashigaru companies. No stripes for mounted samurai. A red sashimono with black mon could represent a second 'unit' of mounted samurai.

C. Used in today's festivals and reenactments. Identified in the Kawanakajima Screen as the colors of Shingen's son Takeda Yoshinobu.

D.Shingen's brother Takeda Nobukado. Used in today's reenactments and festivals.

E.Shingen's brother Takeda Nobushige.
E1.Nobushige's samurai.
E2.Nobushige's ashigaru.
Used in today's festivals and reenactments. Nobushige killed at 4th Kawanakajima, the heraldry was passed on to his son Takeda Nobutoyo. This was the color of the Takeda Vanguard, alongside the black heraldry of Yamagata Masakage.

F.Based on description in Turnbull's books. The flag of Shingen's uncle Morozumi Masakiyo.

G.Sashimono for Anayama Baisetsu. Used in today's festivals and reenactments.
G1.Samurai.
G2.Ashigaru.

The sashimono above display four of the five 'Lucky' colors. Have not come across a 'yellow' example sporting the Takeda mon.
NOTE:In later reenactments and festivals the blue G1 seemed to have been replaced by a yellow version!

An unidentified green heraldry with white Takeda mon is used in today's festivals.
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Emmanuel, how is your book coming along? Can we be looking forward to it soon? John
eickhorn
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much Evalerio!! you are doing a really good job with the heraldry, I read you are writting a book, good luck!! (you earn another buyer!!) Wink thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: