Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Woodworking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Woodworking Reply with quote
I am final goign to redo my basement, And I am going to do a Japanese inspired design, with one or two tatami rooms. Anyway, I am going to go to thesaw mill and prurchase the boards for the floor, and do them myself. But how were they finished? Were they planned or sanded? Did they use wax or some sort of oil such as tung oil to treat the wood? Also any suggestions as to wood I should use? I was thinking I would use cedar which I know was used alot in Kyoto, but it is very expensive. Any other less expensive woods that were used?.

Jonah Matheson
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you going to put tatami over the wood floor?
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the rooms, but I am going to leave the halls bare.

Jonah Matheson
Azuki Arai
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a small remark on this topic, remember that when you see "cedar" in descriptions of Japanese architecture or whatever, it's not the cedar we are familiar with, but Japanese cedar (aka Cryptomeria). It's a different tree altogether, in Japanese called sugi. Sugi is in the cypress family and is not related to actual cedars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugi

Just FYI. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
Are you going to put tatami over the wood floor?

*follow up question* do you have kids/pets, or do you plan to have them in the future? Speaking as someone who's moving out of a house with tatami mats, I would rethink this unless a. you have a way to block it off and keep kids/pets out (we just shut the fusuma), or b. you do what we did when the kid came and cover it with a rug. Tatami look nice, but it's a pain to keep them in good condition if you want to use the room at all.
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lol, I do not have kids. I will not have any for at least another 10 years, if then God willing. And I am old fashioned in that I do not let the dog in the house.

Jonah Matheson
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not expert of this kind.
But if these pictures give you any idea.
http://www.k2-homes.com/portal/house100/list.jsp?sc=0007
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
rikoseishin wrote:
I am old fashioned in that I do not let the dog in the house.

That poor dog.

I love Japanese timber framed houses and woodworking. I framed houses for a few years when I first left home. I saw a show on TLC one time about a man that went to Japan at 17 to learn traditional Japanese woodworking with traditional tools and wood. After I saw that I have always dreamed of doing that. I have read a few books on the subject that I've found at Barnes and Noble. One was about a person that went to Japan to learn woodworking. I don't know much about finishing rooms Japanese style but I know that they frame very differently. They carve special joints in solid timbers and lock them together as well as use Japanese planes and hand saws. My suggestion, if you really want to go all out, look into a book on Japanese framing. That should tell you all the basic things you need to know about the woodworking aspect. Where you would get the specific tools or materials is beyond me. It could be pricey, I have no idea personally. Here's some book recommendations. I hope I was helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Japanese-Carpentry-Secrets-Craft/dp/4770019785/sr=8-3/qid=1170347777/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-7407852-8494357?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Japanese-Joinery-Woodworking-Carpenters/dp/0881791210/sr=8-1/qid=1170347777/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7407852-8494357?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Shoji-Design-Install-Japanese-Screens/dp/0870118641/sr=8-8/qid=1170347777/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8/104-7407852-8494357?ie=UTF8&s=books
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shikisoku,

Thanks for the pitcures, they did not realy help with the finishing questions I have, but they did give me some good ideas about how to do the cellings, so thanks Very Happy

Nitsu,

So you used to do framing huh? Well guess what, I am the son of a carpenter so I grew up building houses. Except I can gp from the sill to the shingles..although I would prefer not to.

Oh, and I have been meaning to get those exact books. But I have textbooks I had to get first...dirty rotten...anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Jonah Matheson
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
rikoseishin wrote:

Nitsu,

So you used to do framing huh? Well guess what, I am the son of a carpenter so I grew up building houses. Except I can gp from the sill to the shingles.

Nice. I framed, did roofing, insulation, drywall, masonry and I have helped do plumbing and electrical but I never did that for a living, just for friends and family. I always wanted to learn more about finishing work but I haven't had the chance yet. I'm not a carpenter per se but I know a thing or two bout buildin and fixin things. I prefer my cushy office job sitin in front of my computer a bit more than bustin my hump outside in this weather though. I would give it up in a second for a job doing traditional Japanese woodworking if I had the chance.

...and if it paid more. Wink Cool
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have offetn thought of doing that, that way I can go straight to Japan. But I do not know anything about it. They would tel me to frame a LBW, and then I would have to tear it won cause I used mails Embarassed

Jonah Matheson
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
rikoseishin wrote:
I have offetn thought of doing that, that way I can go straight to Japan. But I do not know anything about it. They would tel me to frame a LBW, and then I would have to tear it won cause I used mails Embarassed

In one of the books I read about the man who went to Japan discusses many things about the differences in how they work as well as culture. He said it was difficult to adjust in many different ways. They have a different way of acting on the job, a different way of doing everything and a different type of work ethic. He stressed that anyone interested in going to Japan to learn shouldn't invest completely in it until checking it out well enough because it can be shocking to most Americans how different they do everything.
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know, that is why Iam getting a degree in Landscape architecture wiht a minor in Japanese, and i am in the process of becoming a traditionaly trained Japanese garden designers intern Very Happy

Jonah Matheson
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
rikoseishin wrote:
I know, that is why Iam getting a degree in Landscape architecture wiht a minor in Japanese, and i am in the process of becoming a traditionaly trained Japanese garden designers intern Very Happy

Nice. No opportunities like that round here... That's why I'm planning on moving asap. Cool
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well hey if you are down this way we could build a tea house or something, asumming oyu owuld work for some rice and cha Rolling Eyes

Jonah Matheson
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
rikoseishin wrote:
Well hey if you are down this way we could build a tea house or something, asumming oyu owuld work for some rice and cha Rolling Eyes

You know I'd be be down! My parents are about to retire and they are planning on moving to North or South Carolina. My wife and I desperately want to get outta New York but we don't know where we want to go yet. Someplace warm with a lot more martial arts and asian people. My wife wants more Asian friends because she's Korean and there are no Asian people at all in our area. Plus, more Asian people means Asian grocery stores. I never hear the end of her complaining that only one store sells kimchi for about an hour radious in our area.
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin,

There is a surprisingly large Korean population in Charlotte.

平和,

マット
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
niitsu kakunoshin,

There is a surprisingly large Korean population in Charlotte.

Really...? Interesting. How bout traditional Japanese martial arts?
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin,

As with any large city there are innumerable schools. However, there is a great Kendou club if you are into weaponry. As for other types of schools, I honestly would not be able to vouch for their validity since I have not had much time since I moved up here to expand my training.

平和,

マット
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
niitsu kakunoshin,

As with any large city there are innumerable schools. However, there is a great Kendou club if you are into weaponry. As for other types of schools, I honestly would not be able to vouch for their validity since I have not had much time since I moved up here to expand my training.

平和,

マット

I have trained extensively in Chinese weapons but I am dying to get more into Japanese sword. I only have a few years of real teaching from a couple of teachers or kenjutsu. I have never had the opportunity to practice and compete in kendo though and would love to do it. My greatest ambition in martial arts currently is to seek out more training in Japanese sword arts. I never live close enough to a good dojo. Crying or Very sad
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin,

The Kendou school is fantastic, however there is no good Iaidou in this city. There are some Seitei iaidou no kata studied and practiced by the Charlotte Kendo Club but whether or not that is good Iaidou is up for debate.

平和,

マット
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
niitsu kakunoshin,

The Kendou school is fantastic, however there is no good Iaidou in this city. There are some Seitei iaidou no kata studied and practiced by the Charlotte Kendo Club but whether or not that is good Iaidou is up for debate.

平和,

マット

Interesting. Thanks for the input. I really have no idea where I want to move to from New York, but I'm definately open to ideas.
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin,

The Charlotte region is nice. It is the biggest city in North Carolina, but it does not compare to New York and Miami/Fort Lauderdale. If you do decide to make it down this way I suggest you live outside of Mecklenburg County (where Charlotte is). The taxes are less in the neighboring counties.

平和,

マット
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
niitsu kakunoshin,

The Charlotte region is nice. It is the biggest city in North Carolina, but it does not compare to New York and Miami/Fort Lauderdale. If you do decide to make it down this way I suggest you live outside of Mecklenburg County (where Charlotte is). The taxes are less in the neighboring counties.

平和,

マット

I bet the overall cost of living is much more bearable. Out here rent costs an arm and a leg just for a place that is just barely adequate.
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin,

I just bought a brand new 1500 square feet house in a decent neighborhood for $117,000. There are plenty of you Yankee types moving down from New York and being able to live quite comfortably. Smile

平和,

マット
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: