Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Ranald MacDonald
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Ranald MacDonald Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranald_MacDonald

I had never known about Ranald MacDonald before. You can read about him in the link provided above. I first heard about him in my Japanese class, where we read the following from our textbook:

"ラナルド・マクドナルドは、一八二四年にアメリカ大陸のフォート・ジョージという町で生まれた。父はスコットランド人、母はインデイアン*であった。一八三五年の秋、マクドナルドは三人の日本人漂流者がアメリカ大陸に流れ着いたというニュースを聞いた。その三人がインデイアンに似ていると聞いて、マクドナルドは感動した。そして、インでイアンの祖先がアジアからやってきたという伝説を思い出し、日本に対する憧れを抱くようになった。その頃の日本は鎖国中で、オランダ人以外の白人の入国は許されなかったが、マクドナルド、自分はインでイアンだから、日本人が暖かく迎えてくれそうな気がした。

マクドナルドはやがてにほんへ行こうと決心し、そのためには日本近海へ出かけていく捕鯨船の船員になるのが一番いい方法だろうと考えた。幸い、ちょうど日本方面へ向かう捕鯨船プリマス号の船員として、雇ってもらうことができた。一八四八年六月、プリマス号が北海道に近づいた時、マクドナルドは船長からボートをもらい、一人で陸地へ向かった。そして北海道の近くの利尻島という島に上陸した。

幕府はマクドナルドのことを聞いて驚いた。そして、九州の長崎からオランダ船で国外へ送り出すことに決定し、彼を長崎へ送らせた。そのころ、多くのアメリカの捕鯨船が日本近海に現れるようになり、中には難破して日本に上陸する者もあった。また、イギリス船も現れ始めていた。そのころ幕府にはオランダ語のできる通訳はいたが、英語のできる通訳がいないため、大変不便に感じていた。そこで幕府は、オランダ語の通訳の中から十二人を選び、マクドナルドから英語を学ばせることにした。マクドナルドは、アメリカ人としては日本で初めての英語教師となり、この十二人の侍に英語を教えたが、翌一八四九年四月に長崎へやってきたアメリカの軍艦で北アメリカへ送り返された。彼は一生日本のことが忘れられなかったらしく、一八九四年にワシントン州の姪の家で病死した時、姪に「サヨナラ、マイ・デイア、サヨナラ」と言って死んだと言われている。

マクドナルドから英語を習った十二人の侍の中に、森山栄之助という男がいた。彼は語学の天才で、英語をよく覚えた。一八五三年に日本の開国を求めて江戸湾へやってきたペリーが、翌年の一月にまた江戸へ戻ってきた時、条約の日本語訳の仕事をしたのがこの森山だった。マクドナルドから習った英語が、日米交渉のために立派に役立ったわけである。"

*I can't figure out how to make a katakana combo of "de" and "i".
----

"Ranald MacDonald was born at Ft. George, U.S.A., in 1824. His father was Scottish and his mother was Native American. In the fall of 1835, MacDonald heard of three Japanese castaways who drifted to America. MacDonald was moved that the three looked like Native Americans--he remembered the legend that the ancestors of the Native Americans came from Asia, and Japan began to hold a special place in his heart. At that time, Japan was under a policy of isolationism, and the only Caucasians allowed to enter Japan were the Dutch. However, because MacDonald was part Native American, he felt as if the Japanese would warmly welcome him.

Being that MacDonald soon decided to go to Japan (decided to go to Japan soon? soon decided?), he thought that becoming part of a Japan-bound whaling vessel's crew would be his best option. Fortunately, he was hired by the Japan-bound whaling vessel, Plymouth. In the 6th month of 1848, when Plymouth neared Hokkaido, MacDonald received a boat from the ship's captain, and traveled alone to an island named Rishiritou.

The Bakufu was surprised when they heard about MacDonald. Planning to send him away on a Dutch ship, they sent him to Nagasaki (Kyushu). Around that time, many American whaling vessels were appearing in Japanese waters, with an occassional crew becoming shipwrecked and landing on Japanese soil. English vessels also began to appear. The Bakufu had Dutch interpretors, but because there were no English ones, the Bakufu felt inconvenienced. Therefore, the Bakufu chose twelve samurai employed as Dutch interpretors and forced MacDonald to teach them English. As an American, MacDonald was the first English teacher in Japan. In the fourth month of the next year, 1849, he was sent back to North American aboard an American warship that came to Nagasaki. It's said that MacDonald never forgot about Japan his whole life, uttering "Sayonara, my dear, sayonara", in Japanese, on his deathbed in his neice's Washington home in 1894.

Among the twelve samurai that learned English from MacDonald, there was one particular samurai named Moriyama Einosuke who was a linguistic genius, who learned English well. In 1853, Commodore Matthew C. Perry came to Japan (Edo Bay) to pursue Japan's opening to the rest of the world. When he returned the following January, the interpretor who dealt with the treaty was Moriyama Einosuke, himself.

Drum roll...

The English learned from MacDonald helped splendidly in Japan-U.S. relations. The End."

I'm no good at translating, so I'm sorry for how rough it is. I'm supposed to be writing a paper on the subject, but I figured getting a post in here wouldn't hurt Just Kidding
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This guy and Nakahama Manjiro / John Mung are perennial favorites for both Japanese textbooks in the West and English textbooks in Japan. Neat stuff. You could definitely make movies out of their lives.

By the way, ディ is entered in as "de xi". Putting an x in front of a vowel gives you the smaller version.
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru, *thank you* for that computer tip...*thank you so much*

I have Manjiro's translated journal, "Drifting Towards the Southwest" or something like that. His life was extremely interesting.
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This guy, BTW, is the reason the McDonald's mascot in Japan is DONALD McDonald.

Tony
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is that to make sure the two aren't confused?
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nagaeyari wrote:

Call me crazy, but I thought he was Ronald there too.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The creepy clown IS, in fact, called Donald McDonald in Japan (but Grimace, Fry-Guy, Hamburglar, and Birdy are all the same). Japanese Wikipedia suggests the change was made because Ronald McDonald is difficult for Japanese folks to pronounce, though, so I don't know if Ranald factors into it.

(If you want to see another funny example of a slightly modified facet of American pop-culture, get a Japanese person to sing the Mickey Mouse Club song for you: "Mickey Mickey Mickey Mickey Mickey Mickey Mouse! Mickey Mouse! Mickey Mouse! Mickey Mickey Mouse!" Laughing )
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
nagaeyari wrote:

Call me crazy, but I thought he was Ronald there too.

Yeah, I always heard "ronarudo" in the commercials... Ayashii...
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only one way to find out:

Dude, try Google. That's what it's for. .co.jp
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here you go, the Donald Room. Never thought I'd be looking up the official Japanese McD's homepage in response to a post here. Wink
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Here you go, the Donald Room. Never thought I'd be looking up the official Japanese McD's homepage in response to a post here. Wink

I just found that about a minute before you posted this. All I can say is ... おそろしい... It's one thing when trailer trash feeds thier kids Micky Deez over breastmilk, but to market it to the poor innocent Japanese!?!

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane - Lenny Burnside is not afraid. Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn - world serves its own needs, feeding Japanese Mickey Deez...

It's the end of the world as we know it and need a big mac.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do they have the Mega Mac in the US, or is it just a Japanese thing? It's kind of funny; I constantly get crap about the horrible American diet, but this artery clogger is selling out every day all over Japan. Rolling Eyes
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Do they have the Mega Mac in the US, or is it just a Japanese thing? It's kind of funny; I constantly get crap about the horrible American diet, but this artery clogger is selling out every day all over Japan. Rolling Eyes

I can't afford to eat a McDonald's here - the Discover Bay Mcdonald's in Waikiki might as well be located in Shinjuku. $8 for a 10 piece McNugget meal...!

I have tried the giant monster Burger King breakfast sandwhich - I'm not sure what is in it, but it's about 5 inches tall, and has cheese-egg-meat-cheese-egg-meat-cheese, and is about a million calories. You need to take Lipitor just to make it.
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My best friend went to Japan not too long ago and he said that Japanese McDonalds have Japanese oriented meals that have different toppings and fish in them. Is that true? He hates seafood(well pretty much most Japanese food...even though his wife is Japanese), so he only ate at McDonalds most of the time when he was there. Laughing
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin wrote:
My best friend went to Japan not too long ago and he said that Japanese McDonalds have Japanese oriented meals that have different toppings and fish in them. Is that true? He hates seafood(well pretty much most Japanese food...even though his wife is Japanese), so he only ate at McDonalds most of the time when he was there. Laughing

Yeah, they've got some different stuff--the teriyaki burger with mayo, and a tatsuta-age chicken sandwich, and a few other things. Nothing too crazy though. I hate McDonald's, but can eat it here when forced to.
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
the teriyaki burger with mayo, and a tatsuta-age chicken sandwich, and a few other things.

That doesn't sound too bad.
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the subject of Japanese McDonald's... are any other fast food joints very popular in Japan? Do they have other major companies located in Japan like Burger King, Pizza Hut, Subway or maybe some others that are popular that don't necessarily serve just Japanese food? Are there Chinese take-out places just like in America or are they different? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I'm genuinely curious.
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mmm...Mos Burger...
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nagaeyari wrote:
Mmm...Mos Burger...

That's the nastiest burger around. The few times I've been there, it was like they took a day old burger and threw it in the microwave. Soggy bread and mushy meat. Icky.
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing

Sounds like East and West aren't so different after all Smile
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
nagaeyari wrote:
Mmm...Mos Burger...

That's the nastiest burger around. The few times I've been there, it was like they took a day old burger and threw it in the microwave. Soggy bread and mushy meat. Icky.

HERESY!!!!!

MosBurger is the BOMB DIGGEDY! I love MosBurger.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin wrote:
On the subject of Japanese McDonald's... are any other fast food joints very popular in Japan? Do they have other major companies located in Japan like Burger King, Pizza Hut, Subway or maybe some others that are popular that don't necessarily serve just Japanese food? Are there Chinese take-out places just like in America or are they different? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I'm genuinely curious.

US fast food joints in Japan:
McD
Wendy's (the best of the bunch)
Subway
KFC
Domino's
Pizza Hut
Krispy Kreme (brand new store in Shinjuku--the lines there are UNREAL. No one should want a donut that bad)
Starbucks
Tully's (Coffee)

Common Japanese/Asian chains:
Lotteria (also in Korea, may be other places--Lotte's fast food chain. Like a McD's, sort of)

MosBurger (Best place outside of Starbucks and Mr. D...don't listen to Kitsuno, he's been wrong all day).

Mr. Donuts (the best place in the world--free coffee refills...)

Pizza La (Delivery Pizza)

Doutour (coffee place)

There's some others, I'm blanking right now.

There is no Burger King--you've got to find a US military base to get that. Also, Taco Bell did exist allegedly 10 years ago, but I've never actually *seen* one. Most places above are pretty much like you'd find in the States, but menu items are tailored to Japan. Pizza places have squid and corn and so forth, burger joints have a teriyaki burger or different flavored french fries, etc. It's weird when you first see it, but seems pretty normal to me now. The worst part of all of these places is the drink sizes, like anywhere else in Japan. The food sizes are smaller (generally the Japanese medium/normal is a US small, Japanese small is a US kids, etc), but that doesn't bother me--I don't eat a lot of fast food, so it doesn't bother me if I don't get the humongo jumbo big-as-your-head bucket o' fries. I *DO* want my big drink, though--not the 48oz Whizzinator, mind you, just a drink large enough to last me through a meal. A thimble doesn't cut it.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Domer covered most of the major ones. We've also got Denny's, but it's not as good as the US ones, the menu is too fancy. There used to be Burger Kings in various places and a lone Taco Bell in Shibuya, but both closed several years ago and now can only be found on military bases. Which sucks, since life without Taco Bell is not worth living. I wish we had a Wienerschnitzel here, too, but they're somewhat hard to find even in the US.

The most surprising foreign restaurant I've found in Japan is Cafe du Monde. It's a world-famous cafe from New Orleans (I used to live there), and they serve beignets (sort of a French donut covered in powdered sugar) and cafe au lait. While there are a half dozen Cafe du Monde franchises scattered around Louisiana, there aren't any in other states in the US. So it was quite a shock coming across one in Imabari (Ehime prefecture). I've also seen them in Hiroshima and Kyoto, and the Japanese website lists a bunch more.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Domer covered most of the major ones. We've also got Denny's, but it's not as good as the US ones, the menu is too fancy.

I didn't list Denny's, Skylark, Royal Host, etc. because they're diner type places, not fast food. But the same holds true there as well.

Quote:
There used to be Burger Kings in various places and a lone Taco Bell in Shibuya, but both closed several years ago and now can only be found on military bases. Which sucks, since life without Taco Bell is not worth living. I wish we had a Wienerschnitzel here, too, but they're somewhat hard to find even in the US.

Allegedly there was a Taco Bell in Nagoya, but I never made it there. But come talk to me if you need a fix, and I can hook you up. Mad Pimpin

Quote:
The most surprising foreign restaurant I've found in Japan is Cafe du Monde.

We saw the one in Hiroshima Station and about flipped out. And of course stopped to have a beignet. I make beignets from scratch, but Cafe Du Monde is pretty darn good.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:

MosBurger (Best place outside of Starbucks and Mr. D...don't listen to Kitsuno, he's been wrong all day).

Yeah, You've had like 3 years for your taste buds to shrivel up and die, silly me Just Kidding

ltdomer98 wrote:

Mr. Donuts (the best place in the world--free coffee refills...)

Oh, I could tell you STORIES about me and them donuts that would make the health ministry quake!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: