Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Ranald MacDonald
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Yeah, You've had like 3 years for your taste buds to shrivel up and die, silly me Just Kidding

Dude, you're on crack. MosBurger was down the street from school, and I was there at least once a week. MMMmmmm riceburger!

Quote:
Oh, I could tell you STORIES about me and them donuts that would make the health ministry quake!

I guarantee you I've got matching stories. When you've memorized the "DJ"'s voiceover to the music tracks they play in the restaurant, you know you're a regular. The Mr. Donuts staff got worried when I didn't show up in the evenings--I'd hit a booth, throw down my stuff, get some coffee and a donut, and study kanji for 3 hours or so every night. I was a fixture.
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do have to admit spending a ton of money at Mr. Donuts in order to get the Mr. Donuts gift. I got a Pon De Lion tote bag. Was it worth buying dozens and dozens of donuts? Was it worth giving them to random Japanese people and becoming their gaijin god?

You decide.
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MosBurgers.

Oh, man, that is the shizznit!!

I *loved* their teriyaki burger.

There's also the odd First Kitchen, whose name, legend goes, from a misunderstanding of "faasuto" for "Fast Kitchen."

Tony
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:

I guarantee you I've got matching stories.

When it comes to Mr. Donuts stories, I've got everyone beat. I'll refrain from mentioning exactly what sort of stories so as to not throw my morals or sanity into question. Suffice it to say, I probably ate as many donuts as you, but never paid for a single one Laughing
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
I didn't list Denny's, Skylark, Royal Host, etc. because they're diner type places, not fast food. But the same holds true there as well.

I had no idea Skylark was a foreign restaurant. Have you seen any IHOPs? Used to go there a lot during my college days, but I haven't seen any in Japan. Even if I found one it probably wouldn't have the skeezy greasy spoon atmosphere that was the main attraction of the US IHOPs, though.

Quote:
Allegedly there was a Taco Bell in Nagoya, but I never made it there. But come talk to me if you need a fix, and I can hook you up.

Might have to take you up on that sometime. I've been having my folks send me cans of refried beans and making my own.

MosBurger is good stuff, but a little pricy. (The Mos stands for Mountain, Ocean, Sun, by the way; not a lot of people know that.) Freshness Burger is good, too, but likewise expensive. I'll only go to Lotteria if there isn't a McDs around, though.

I haven't yet made the trek to the new Krispy Kreme, but I figured the lines would be insane. We've got a Donut Plant in Jiyuugaoka, though, and supposedly Donut Plant is a famous place from New York.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
ltdomer98 wrote:

I guarantee you I've got matching stories.

When it comes to Mr. Donuts stories, I've got everyone beat. I'll refrain from mentioning exactly what sort of stories so as to not throw my morals or sanity into question. Suffice it to say, I probably ate as many donuts as you, but never paid for a single one Laughing

I lived at the Mr. Donuts right outside Kyoto Eki during my first trip to Japan...at least until I found 'Spaghetti & Cake' at the second story downtown on Gojo-dori.
I hear the new Krispy Kreme in Kyoto will be opening soon as well.
Delicious, live giving donuts...yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe I've just had bad luck, but the Mister Donuts franchises I've been to here have all been pretty bland, like the sweetness had been reduced to better suit Japanese taste buds. Donut Plant is pretty good, though, with chocolate donuts that actually vaguely resemble those found in the US. Of course, it's like $3 per donut...
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nagaeyari wrote:
I do have to admit spending a ton of money at Mr. Donuts in order to get the Mr. Donuts gift. I got a Pon De Lion tote bag. Was it worth buying dozens and dozens of donuts? Was it worth giving them to random Japanese people and becoming their gaijin god?

You decide.

I'm going to go with yes, and yes. If you come over to my house, we've got Mr. D spoons, cups, etc. to outfit our own store, it seems.

Pon De Ring is good, but I'm a sucker for a Buttercrunch. Too bad only they only seem to have them about 40% of the time.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
AJBryant wrote:
There's also the odd First Kitchen, whose name, legend goes, from a misunderstanding of "faasuto" for "Fast Kitchen."

Thanks for the backup on Mos.

With my katakana dyslexia, I thought it was "Fast Chicken" for the LONGEST time....
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SO I guess they do have a lot of American places in Japan. MosBurger? Never heard of it. Is that anything like White Castle because they SUCK! Everyone knows Wendy's is the best burger place followed by McDonalds. Have any of you ever ate at Portillos? They have those in Illinois. They are the best fast food joint on planet Earth!
Bushikan
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Mr. Donugt Reply with quote
There is one in Shinjuku-ku a few blocks from the subway, Wendy's is only a block from that. I make it a point to avoid both places. Ramen (tsukemen= awesome) , onigiri, unagidon, nabeyaki udon, and regular wonderful Japanese rice, these are things to enjoy. Also Yoshinoya saves lives. Also if you want a real treat go to Korea Town and get you self some nice spicy food, I don't know the names of the food, I ask my friends to pick for me and im never disappointed.

Last edited by Bushikan on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mr. Donugt Reply with quote
Bushikan wrote:
There is one in Shinjuku-ku a few blocks from tthe subway, Wendy's is only a block from that. I make it a point to avoid both places. Ramen (tsukemen= awesome) , onigiri, unagidon, nabeyaki udon, and regular wonderful Japanese rice, these are things to enjoy. Also Yoshinoya saves lives.

My wife LOVES Raman. She has like store display sized boxes of EVERY flavor in our cupboards. I personally can't stand the stuff. If I want soup I'll have some Chunky chicken noodle. Wink
Bushikan
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Ramen Reply with quote
Thats not Ramen
Ramen in Japan that you buy from restaurants is very very different. Its the difference between Primadore tomatoes and heienz (if you can't tell I'm Italian). Aizu Ramen is the best!!!!!!!!
When you have the real thing you'll never go back.
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ramen Reply with quote
Bushikan wrote:
Thats not Ramen
Ramen in Japan that you buy from restaurants is very very different. Its the difference between Primadore tomatoes and heienz (if you can't tell I'm Italian). Aizu Ramen is the best!!!!!!!!
When you have the real thing you'll never go back.

Really? I'll have to take your word for it. Cool My wife makes awesome homemade udon. It helps she used to work at my favorite Japanese restaurant for over a year.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin wrote:
MosBurger? Never heard of it. Is that anything like White Castle because they SUCK!

No, it's nothing like the little squares of crap that you get at Krystal (in the South) or White Castle (in the North).
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Donugt Reply with quote
Bushikan wrote:
Also Yoshinoya saves lives.

Yoshinoya is AWESOME. Sukiya's not bad, and I love the variety at Matsuya. Gyuudon places rock. I didn't include them or ramen or soba fast food places since the discussion was focusing on Western style fast-food, but I'd take a Yoshinoya over all of them except Starbucks and Mr. D. any day of the week.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Donugt Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin wrote:
My wife LOVES Raman. She has like store display sized boxes of EVERY flavor in our cupboards. I personally can't stand the stuff. If I want soup I'll have some Chunky chicken noodle. Wink

Your wife is Korean, right? Don't take this the wrong way, but the ramen Koreans like is absolute crap--when you have to put processed cheese slices on top of it to make it good, you know you're working with inferior products.

Japanese ramen is nowhere near what you get in the stupid packages in the States. That stuff is inedible. It's like comparing a Ruths Chris porterhouse to a piece of dried up 4 year old beef jerky. Japanese ramen generally comes in a few varieties, based on the type of soup used: miso, shoyu (soy sauce), shio (salt), or tonkotsu (pork bone stock). I've seen tonkotsu mixed with most of the others as well. Every region of Japan has it's particular ramen style--Kyushu's mainly tonkotsu and shio, Sapporo is miso, Hakodate is shoyu, Asahikawa and Tokyo are shoyu, etc. Usually it's topped with a variety of things, everything from pickled bamboo shoots to slices of pork to green onions to hard boiled eggs, in combination. The best places are simply to *die* for, and usually the smallest, dinkiest looking places you can find. In Nagoya there was a place down the street from my house--Manraku. Had counter seating for about 10 people, and you'd have people lined up behind each chair, waiting their turn. As soon as one person got up, the chair was filled by the next person. Sometimes the wait would be 2-3 deep at each chair. And it was SO worth it. Across the street from my office in Tokyo was a place that served barbecue ramen--somehow they injected a smokey flavor like something right off the grill into the soup. Amazing. I ate lunch there quite a lot, but you had to get there right when they opened, or you'd be waiting an hour. Not more than 100 yards away was another shop, Kaotan, run by a Taiwanese guy. This little dinky run-down place was famous all over Japan, and people came from out of town just to eat there.

It's impossible to really get you to understand without coming here and eating it, but once you have ramen in Japan, "maruchan" or "top ramen" just isn't edible anymore.
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Boy, you really are making me hungry. I particularly like nabeyaki udon. The best bowl I've had was outside of the Ninomaru. Ahh, wish I could make it. John
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to love Yoshinoya, but during the mad cow scare a few years back American beef imports were stopped completely, and they took gyuudon off the menu entirely (which is like McDonalds not selling hamburgers). They brought it back once the ban was lifted a year or so later, but I haven't been back since. I prefer Nakau now.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Domer, you should try Pepper Lunch if you haven't already. It's a little bit like yakiniku. They give you a hot black iron plate with slices of beef around a mound of rice seasoned with pepper, corn, and green onions, and inside the mound of rice is a dollop of flavored butter. Mix it all together to let it cook evenly, add some sauce (I recommend the curry sauce), and eat. It's pretty simple, but gooood.
niitsu kakunoshin
Gunshi
Gunshi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mr. Donugt Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
niitsu kakunoshin wrote:

Your wife is Korean, right? Don't take this the wrong way, but the ramen Koreans like is absolute crap--when you have to put processed cheese slices on top of it to make it good, you know you're working with inferior products.

Japanese ramen is nowhere near what you get in the stupid packages in the States. That stuff is inedible. It's like comparing a Ruths Chris porterhouse to a piece of dried up 4 year old beef jerky. Japanese ramen generally comes in a few varieties, based on the type of soup used: miso, shoyu (soy sauce), shio (salt), or tonkotsu (pork bone stock). I've seen tonkotsu mixed with most of the others as well. Every region of Japan has it's particular ramen style--Kyushu's mainly tonkotsu and shio, Sapporo is miso, Hakodate is shoyu, Asahikawa and Tokyo are shoyu, etc. Usually it's topped with a variety of things, everything from pickled bamboo shoots to slices of pork to green onions to hard boiled eggs, in combination. The best places are simply to *die* for, and usually the smallest, dinkiest looking places you can find. In Nagoya there was a place down the street from my house--Manraku. Had counter seating for about 10 people, and you'd have people lined up behind each chair, waiting their turn. As soon as one person got up, the chair was filled by the next person. Sometimes the wait would be 2-3 deep at each chair. And it was SO worth it. Across the street from my office in Tokyo was a place that served barbecue ramen--somehow they injected a smokey flavor like something right off the grill into the soup. Amazing. I ate lunch there quite a lot, but you had to get there right when they opened, or you'd be waiting an hour. Not more than 100 yards away was another shop, Kaotan, run by a Taiwanese guy. This little dinky run-down place was famous all over Japan, and people came from out of town just to eat there.

It's impossible to really get you to understand without coming here and eating it, but once you have ramen in Japan, "maruchan" or "top ramen" just isn't edible anymore.

My wife actually buys a bunch of different kinds of pre-prepared noodles. She buys the cheap American crap and some expensive Korean and Japanese kinds that come in all shapes and sizes. We go to this Japanese market in Jersey every month and she loads up. I can't stand any pre-prepared noodles of any kind, especially the kimchi or seaweed flavored stuff. Don't get me wrong, I actually eat kimchi(not seaweed though...YEEEUUCK!) Come to think of it, I don't really eat any pre-prepared food except frozen pizzas. I have all sorts of cooking books and appliances so I usually prepare everything. I like variety I get sick of stuff REALLY fast, so I'm always trying to come up with something new to make. The problem is I'm also a picky eater. I don't like most seafood(which means I don't like MOST Korean and Japanese food). I can eat fish, but I'd rather not. The only seafood I really like is crab and lobster and I can't afford that stuff.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shin no sen wrote:
Boy, you really are making me hungry. I particularly like nabeyaki udon. The best bowl I've had was outside of the Ninomaru. Ahh, wish I could make it. John

Being a Nagoya boy, I'm a huge fan of miso nikomi udon. MMMM...
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
I used to love Yoshinoya, but during the mad cow scare a few years back American beef imports were stopped completely, and they took gyuudon off the menu entirely (which is like McDonalds not selling hamburgers). They brought it back once the ban was lifted a year or so later, but I haven't been back since. I prefer Nakau now.

I have to give Yoshinoya partial credit, though--instead of switching to Australian beef and calling it "Gyuu-meshi" like Sukiya, etc., they stuck to their guns and refused to sell Aussie beef. Apparently something about the way Aussie cows are raised compared to US cows (food, free range, something) makes it less suitable to gyuudon. Anyways, I don't know where they are getting their beef now, but that's what was keeping them from selling it. Tondon isn't a bad substitute, though.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
Domer, you should try Pepper Lunch if you haven't already.

You know, I've seen it, almost walked in a dozen times, but never have. It looks awesome--I'll have to try it sometime.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Donugt Reply with quote
niitsu kakunoshin wrote:
My wife actually buys a bunch of different kinds of pre-prepared noodles. She buys the cheap American crap and some expensive Korean and Japanese kinds that come in all shapes and sizes. We go to this Japanese market in Jersey every month and she loads up.

What's the name of it? Is it in Cherry Hill? If so, I've been there--nice place.

I'm not talking about pre-prepared stuff. I'm talking about going to a ramen restaurant. Whether it's a hole in the wall or a nice place or a street vendor, it'll be better than anything you can imagine from a package in the States, even if you got it at an import store.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Edo Period All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: