Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Overnight Stays at the Teradaya

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Overnight Stays at the Teradaya Reply with quote
I just spent a very large chunk of my Sunday researching and writing for the SA Wiki about the two major Bakumatsu events that took place at the Teradaya in Fushimi, south of Kyoto.

For my research, I pulled out the Japanese languange brochure that they give visitors at the Teradaya and I was very surprised to (re)learn that it is possible to book an overnight stay. To me, that sounds pretty cool. If anyone is interested in staying there while on a trip to Kyoto, you can book your reserveration by calling +81-75-622-0243.
You need to make your reservation one month in advance. Keep in mind that the Teradaya is closed on Mondays. As of 2003, the price for one night was 7,000 yen, which includes breakfast and is very cheap compared to the price I've paid to stay at other traditional Japanese Inns.
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke,

Groovy. Is that price just for one person or would that accomodate a second?

平和,

マット
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iaidoka-san,

That would be 7,000 yen --about US$58-- per person. Honestly, for that price, don't expect much luxury or great ryokan food, but for such a reasonable price, it is a great opportunity to soak up the atmosphere of a very historical place.(Never mind the ghosts!)Just Kidding

Also, about a 10 minute walk down from the Teradaya, there is an old Edo-period sake brewery and storehouse that is now owned by Kizakura. They make their "Kappa" brand sake there. I went there for lunch (they have a nice little western-style restaruant) and did some sake and beer sampling. Yes, they actually brew small batches of beer there, too. They had this one particular beer that is brewed and fermented using koji rice-- the same type of koji rice used in the sake fermentation process. This beer was outstanding. They also make their own Japanese pickles there and I bought quite a bit of beer, sake and Narazuke! It was a pleasant bonus find on my trip out to the Teradaya.
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke,

That sounds excellent. I will have to keep that in mind for when I finally get over there.

平和,

マット
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
These guys stayed there in period costumes.
http://www.eva.hi-ho.ne.jp/iwaemon/20001028teredaya1.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: