Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Pictures of armor and teppo on display at Himeji Castle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Pictures of armor and teppo on display at Himeji Castle Reply with quote

Two example of armor on display at Himeji Castle.

Here is a gun rack positioned near firing stations within Himeji Castle's hon maru.
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice pics. Are they yours?

I didn't visit Himeji yet (I know, shame on me), but I plan to on my next trip. I figure it's a must since it's the only intact castle.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! Yes, all the pictures are mine. All of the photos can be found on the wiki. You can find pictures that I took of Himeji, Osaka and Ako castles.

I've lived in Japan since '95 and actually lived in Osaka for 1.5 years. Osaka is very close to Himeji, and go back to the Kansai area at least 2 times per year, so it also took me a long time to get out there, and man, was I glad I did. The castle is amazing. I would have taken more photos of yari and other things of interest on display, but I was racing through the hon maru (and are those stairs steep!) as quickly as my gimpy knees would let me. I had a Shinkansen train to catch! So at some point, I hope to go back and spend some more time there.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since some folks may not know this, the photo of the arquebus rack is on its side (the left side being the top, right side the bottom).
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
Since some folks may not know this, the photo of the arquebus rack is on its side (the left side being the top, right side the bottom).

Yeah, you are right! I changed the direction of the photo while screwing around in the editor mode and forgot to change it back. I'll do this now. Thanks for noticing! At least the suits of armor are right-side up!
Very Happy
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshin,

That explains the weird physics.

平和,

マット
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The pictures are great! Too bad unless we have articles to put them in, they just sort of sit there unsearchable - guess Obenjo has ALSO volunteered to write some extra articles! Laughing

Actually, there are some articles already up that we can use some of the pics in, so I'm going to start putting them in today.
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo, you should put your name and copyrights on the pics if you don't want them to be everywhere on the web.
Of course, I mean your real name, not "Obenjo".... Just Kidding
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Baian wrote:
Obenjo, you should put your name and copyrights on the pics if you don't want them to be everywhere on the web.

All you have to do is put {{copyrighted}} in the description, and it is taken care of.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Baian and Kitsuno for the advise regarding copyrights!
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Baian wrote:

All you have to do is put {{copyrighted}} in the description, and it is taken care of.

That still won't stop some people and you won't look all the time to see if someone used it.
The best way is write your transparent name diagonally across the photo with something like Photoshop. Since it's transparent you can still see the picture, but it prevents anyone claiming them as their own.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Baian wrote:

That still won't stop some people and you won't look all the time to see if someone used it.
The best way is write your transparent name diagonally across the photo with something like Photoshop. Since it's transparent you can still see the picture, but it prevents anyone claiming them as their own.

I don't think it's worth it. Maybe small print on the lower right corner or something, but if someone wants to be a scumbag, they will be a scumbag, you can't stop it. Anyway, they are low-res small images, not huge high quality pics, so I don't think it is much of an issue - no one will ever be able to (for example) publish them in a book. My advice to obenjo is if he's worried about it, remove the pics. I've put some of my photos up, I'm not worried about it. Low-res images on an internet site are useless to people who would publish them in a book or something.
Baian
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Ashigaru Kumigashira
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Baian wrote:

I don't think it's worth it. Maybe small print on the lower right corner or something, but if someone wants to be a scumbag, they will be a scumbag, you can't stop it. Anyway, they are low-res small images, not huge high quality pics, so I don't think it is much of an issue - no one will ever be able to (for example) publish them in a book. My advice to obenjo is if he's worried about it, remove the pics. I've put some of my photos up, I'm not worried about it. Low-res images on an internet site are useless to people who would publish them in a book or something.

True enough.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the low-resolution pics won't do anyone that much justice if they wanted to use them for a book. Also, I really don't mind if a young student wanted to use them for a sammyrai report.

I posted the pics to enrich our SA Wiki. I did it in the spirit of wanting to share them with the SA community as well as to stimulate some good discussion on the forum. If people are learning something from these photos and the follow-on discussions, then I feel pretty good!

If anybody does have a need for a high-resolution shot of any of these photos, just let me know. Very Happy
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
The pictures are great! Too bad unless we have articles to put them in, they just sort of sit there unsearchable - guess Obenjo has ALSO volunteered to write some extra articles! Laughing

Actually, there are some articles already up that we can use some of the pics in, so I'm going to start putting them in today.

My Himeji-jo Wiki article is about half done, so Obenjo's photos would look great there.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Yes, the low-resolution pics won't do anyone that much justice if they wanted to use them for a book.

Unless it is a book for Little People.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
My Himeji-jo Wiki article is about half done, so Obenjo's photos would look great there.

Thanks Tatsunoshi. I have many more pictures of Himeji-jo, including roof-tile kamons, more pictures of the hon maru from different angles as well as general pictures like teppo firing sankakus and marus, etc. If there is another kind of photo you are looking for, just let me know. I may have it.

Cheers,

Kusanosuke
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Unless it is a book for Little People.

Gosh, you mean somebody might want to write a sammyrai book for the Oompaloompas? Wink

If someone was to steal my low resolution pics for a book without giving credit, why, that would be quite turd bullion! Evil or Very Mad
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got about 300 pics of Himeji-jo as well, if you would like them, Tatsunoshi. Don't know if too much is overkill though.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
I've got about 300 pics of Himeji-jo as well, if you would like them, Tatsunoshi. Don't know if too much is overkill though.

Well, any "extras" that don't go into an article are sort of a waste because there is not way to search them, so it's better to just have enough for articles. (assuming you're talking about the wiki, anyway).
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
ltdomer98 wrote:

Well, any "extras" that don't go into an article are sort of a waste because there is not way to search them, so it's better to just have enough for articles. (assuming you're talking about the wiki, anyway).

I was thinking he could pick and choose from the best, but it's not a big deal. I take about 200 pictures every time i go there, just because I can't help it.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:

Thanks-will do. Aren't some of them in the files on the email list?
I have about 1000 of my own for Himeji (taken over the last 5 years) but to use them I'd have to shoot each one with a vid camera, put it on a website, get the url, put it on picture trail, and it just isn't worth it.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some are, yeah. But many are on my yahoo photos site, which I'll send you the link to. Also, I think I've got more floating around as well. The ones I uploaded are likely edited to reduce the size, so if there are any you want the full picture of, I can send it to you.
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo, I liked those two armor pictures. I tried taking photos of that very armor, but was unsuccessful because I didn’t have the right camera filter to minimize the reflection from the glass.

Revisiting the copyright issue …
Quote:

Quote:

In my opinion, in many cases, it is worth it. Sure, scumbags will be scumbags, but there are steps that can be taken to mitigate IP infringement. Nowadays, it is no longer necessary to place copyright on the image to protect it. The image is protected from the moment it is created. However, it usually requires registration with the copyright office to successfully pursue financial compensation in a court of law. Not saying that it can’t be done, just harder to do. Oh, even though the web version may be too small for use in traditional print media, many will not hestitate (mainly because of ignorance) to use them in their web pages. Many times I have had to ask people to remove my images from their website.

Below are two examples of images that uses five copy protection steps (the digital original is 77mb):
1) Company Watermark
2) Digital Watermark (track web infringers)
3) Copyright Registration
4) IPTC/Metadata Information
5) Secret marking

Fallschirmjaeger

Himeji Castle

Golden Pavillion

Quote:
Yes, the low-resolution pics won't do anyone that much justice if they wanted to use them for a book. Also, I really don't mind if a young student wanted to use them for a sammyrai report.

I posted the pics to enrich our SA Wiki. I did it in the spirit of wanting to share them with the SA community as well as to stimulate some good discussion on the forum. If people are learning something from these photos and the follow-on discussions, then I feel pretty good!

The bottom-line Obenjo (or anyone else) is don’t undervalue your images. Depending on its quality, you will be surprised what some are willing to pay for its use. Several years ago, I created a business that routinely license historical and military images (editorial rights-managed imagery). Depending on use (web, mag, book, video, etc.), placement, size, distribution and duration, an image can generate anywhere from $50 to $1000 with an average of $250. It requires an amazing amount of resources and time to process an image, but the return can be extremely rewarding. My company caters to a very specific market and will never compete against the conglomerates such as Getty and Corbis, but then again, I don’t want to. Our photographers and contributors receive 50 percent commission on any image licensed.

Cheers!
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My "preference" in these cases is for people to only post images that they aren't particularly worried about. Don't post images that you will lose sleep over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: