Register :: Log in :: Profile   


8. Why did Saito decide to stay on in Aizu to fight the Impe

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member



Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 1698
Location: Columbia, Maryland U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: 8. Why did Saito decide to stay on in Aizu to fight the Impe Reply with quote
http://www.shinsengumi-no-makoto.net/saito_hajime.htm

Because Saito Hajime had been taken into the Aizu clan and given a new name, Fujita Goro. From the site cited above:
Quote:
Upon surrendering to the imperial army, Saito gave yet another name to obscure his identity. Kondo?s execution had made it painfully clear that the life of anyone who had been very high up in the ranks of the Shinsengumi was in real danger if caught. Saito called himself ?Ichinohe Denpachi? and continued to go by it until the clan?s move to the Shimokita peninsula area..

Aizu became the Tonami clan and moved to their new "home" in 1870. Saito was allowed to go with them as he had become a member of the clan. At this time Matsudaira Katamori gifted him with a new name, "Fujita Goro". For this reason Saito always took great care with his new name and would not allow for it to become associated with any sort of scandal. He used it for the rest of his life.

_________________
"Walk the thousand mile road, step by step" -- Miyamoto Musashi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seven
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 8. Why did Saito decide to stay on in Aizu to fight the Reply with quote
Wave Tossed wrote:
At this time Matsudaira Katamori gifted him with a new name, "Fujita Goro". For this reason Saito always took great care with his new name and would not allow for it to become associated with any sort of scandal.


Are you sure about this? Didn't Matsudaira Katamori only give him the last name of "Fujita"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member



Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 1698
Location: Columbia, Maryland U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 8. Why did Saito decide to stay on in Aizu to fight the Reply with quote
Seven wrote:
Wave Tossed wrote:
At this time Matsudaira Katamori gifted him with a new name, "Fujita Goro". For this reason Saito always took great care with his new name and would not allow for it to become associated with any sort of scandal.


Are you sure about this? Didn't Matsudaira Katamori only give him the last name of "Fujita"?
Not according to my source. Do you have different information from another source that states that his first name remained the same (or else he changed it himself) and his last name became "Fujita"?
_________________
"Walk the thousand mile road, step by step" -- Miyamoto Musashi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seven
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, his first name didn't remain the same. (That much is certain.)
*It's so hard to type with one hand.* Anyway, most of my sources just say that he changed his name to Fujita Goro around 1872. (According to some sources such as Hayashi's work, "Fujita" was the family name of Tokio's mother.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member



Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 1698
Location: Columbia, Maryland U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seven wrote:
No, his first name didn't remain the same. (That much is certain.)
*It's so hard to type with one hand.* Anyway, most of my sources just say that he changed his name to Fujita Goro around 1874. (According to some sources, "Fujita" was the family name of Tokio's mother.)
According to this source, Tokio's family name had been Takagi. It doesn't say what her mother's family name was. Here is what my source said about the marriage to Tokio:
Quote:
His next wife was Takagi Tokio, who he married sometime just after arriving in Tokyo in June of 1874...

...Fujita (Takagi) Tokio was born on April 15, 1846. Her original name had been Takagi Sada, but when she taught writing to the Aizu princess, Teru, her nickname had been "Tokio". Later on she adopted this as her real name. During the war she helped to defend the castle in Aizu, mostly giving medical treatment to those who were injured. After the war, when the clan was forced to move, she became the adopted daughter of Kurasawa Heiemon. After returning to Tokyo and marrying Saito (Fujita Goro) she worked as a housemaster for the Womens Higher Normal School (or Joushi Takashi), which was a school for future teachers. As a housemaster Tokio allowed with the schools permission for young women to stay in the Fujita home as they attended classes there. In her later years Tokio participated in many efforts to honor those who had died in the Aizu war. For this reason the family was awarded the plot at the Amida-ji Temple in Aizu where they were buried. Tokio passed away at age 75.
Tokio was really a formidable woman.
_________________
"Walk the thousand mile road, step by step" -- Miyamoto Musashi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seven
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wave Tossed wrote:
According to this source, Tokio's family name had been Takagi. It doesn't say what her mother's family name was. Here is what my source said about the marriage to Tokio:
Quote:
His next wife was Takagi Tokio, who he married sometime just after arriving in Tokyo in June of 1874...

...Fujita (Takagi) Tokio was born on April 15, 1846. Her original name had been Takagi Sada, but when she taught writing to the Aizu princess, Teru, her nickname had been "Tokio". Later on she adopted this as her real name. During the war she helped to defend the castle in Aizu, mostly giving medical treatment to those who were injured. After the war, when the clan was forced to move, she became the adopted daughter of Kurasawa Heiemon. After returning to Tokyo and marrying Saito (Fujita Goro) she worked as a housemaster for the Women�s Higher Normal School (or Joushi Takashi), which was a school for future teachers. As a housemaster Tokio allowed with the school�s permission for young women to stay in the Fujita home as they attended classes there. In her later years Tokio participated in many efforts to honor those who had died in the Aizu war. For this reason the family was awarded the plot at the Amida-ji Temple in Aizu where they were buried. Tokio passed away at age 75.
Tokio was really a formidable woman.



I'm aware of all this. According to Hayashi's work, "Fujita" was the family name of Tokio's mother and Fujita Goro was listed as the eldest son of Fujita Yuji on the family register.

My question remains, did Matsudaira Katamori actually give the last name of "Fujita" AND the first name of "Goro" to Saitou?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 9481
Location: Honolulu, HI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably didn't realize this question was already answered in another thread with pretty much the same title, although there is more info here that helps tie up the other thread, so it's all good Just Kidding
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member



Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 861
Location: North Carolina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
COPY CAT Evil or Very Mad
_________________
"The end of our Way of the sword is to be fearless when confronting our inner enemies and our outer enemies."
-Yamaoka Tesshu

Jonah Matheson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member



Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 2638
Location: 天領 Tama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The leading researcher of Saito Hajime is I believe Akama Shizuko.

Her "Saito Hajime" describes "Katamori gave new name Fujita Goro during the wedding ceremony."

But the book is a kind of novel.

Her research book "Saito Hajime no Nazo" describes "There are many Fujita in Gonohe town, Tonami. Long time ago, many merchants from Oumi migrated to Gonohe and they had Fujita surname. Then I thought Saito himself changed his name. Saito(Yamaguchi)'s ancesters were from Oumi which I have known from the records in Fujita family."

Though it is still mystery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member



Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 2638
Location: 天領 Tama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 8. Why did Saito decide to stay on in Aizu to fight the Reply with quote
Wave Tossed wrote:
http://www.shinsengumi-no-makoto.net/saito_hajime.htm

Because Saito Hajime had been taken into the Aizu clan and given a new name, Fujita Goro. From the site cited above:


Saito decided to stay in Aizu during the battle(1868), he received a new name(or he changed his name) in Tonami(1872).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Seven
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member



Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
The leading researcher of Saito Hajime is I believe Akama Shizuko.

Her "Saito Hajime" describes "Katamori gave new name Fujita Goro during the wedding ceremony."

But the book is a kind of novel.


Thanks for confirming that.

Quote:
Her research book "Saito Hajime no Nazo" describes "There are many Fujita in Gonohe town, Tonami. Long time ago, many merchants from Oumi migrated to Gonohe and they had Fujita surname. Then I thought Saito himself changed his name. Saito(Yamaguchi)'s ancesters were from Oumi which I have known from the records in Fujita family."

Though it is still mystery.


Since Katamori arranged the marriage between Saitou and Tokio, I could see that maybe he also suggested Saitou be listed as the eldest son of Fujita Yuji and therefore "gave" him this family name. As for the given name of Goro, it would make more sense if Katamori gave Saitou a formal given name(imina) rather than a first name, wouldn't?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Help the Samurai Archives




alexisRed v1.2 // Theme Created By: Andrew Charron // Samuraized By: Aaron Rister

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group