Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Whose armor is it anyway?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Whose armor is it anyway? Reply with quote
Warrior riddle baffles young musicians

A SAMURAI helmet is the centrepiece of a museum display created by young musicians.
The teenagers from the Spring Boroughs area of Northampton were given access to Northampton Council's museum archive to create a display as part of a project to inspire people who would not normally visit the town's museums.

During their visit, musicians Influence, Ill'usion and Saint Craze became particularly interested in a suit of samurai armour which is likely to date back to the Tokugawa period of 17th century Japan. The armour is marked with the blazon of Tokugawa Sho-guns, indicating it belonged to a high-ranking warrior.

There is no record of how the armour came to be in the museum, only that it was discovered in Abington Museum's archives during the 1970s.
The musicians will attempt to uncover the history of the armour and find out how it came to be in Northampton.

The project was the brainchild of Northampton Museums and the Castle ward CASPAR+NR team's youth worker Lucy Lisowiec, who said: "This has been a great learning experience for the young people involved and a fantastic opportunity to raise the profile of the museum service."

Lejorne Pindling (aka Ill'usion) said: "When we were first offered the chance to look through the museum's archive I don't think anyone expected to discover anything like a full suit of samurai armour.
"The distinctive armour has been expertly crafted to look impressive and ornate while protecting the samurai warrior in battle.

"It will be a challenge to uncover how the armour arrived in Northampton and I am glad to be involved in displaying it to the public."

The samurai helmet will be on display at the Northampton Museum and Art Gallery in Guildhall Road throughout March.
Opening times are Monday to Saturday 10am to 5pm and Sunday 2pm to 5pm.
Admission is free.
Last Updated: 02 March 2007
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose armor is it anyway? Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
"It will be a challenge to uncover how the armour arrived in Northampton and I am glad to be involved in displaying it to the public."

I would like MUCH MORE to know where A LOT of
japanese stuffs went in the days just after the great
flood of Florence

kitsuno wrote:

The samurai helmet will be on display at the Northampton Museum and Art Gallery in Guildhall Road throughout March.

I bet those items are on display somewhere, but not
in public...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: