Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Why do Japanese Films have crappy CG?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metsuke
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Why do Japanese Films have crappy CG? Reply with quote
Well, compared to the videogames that come from Japan, the movies look pretty weak. I mean, its not so horrible that it detracts from the story, but well.... How come?
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Returner had good CG. Ichi the Killer was OK. A lot of the other ones don't seem to bother. Not sure why - anime uses crazy CG, not sure why they don't use them in movies. I guess most of the movies are *gasp* PLOT DRIVEN rather than CGI driven...
Metsuke
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know! You're right, the newer releases have better effects, but froma few years ago, well, not so much. Not that it bugs me, but I was just wondering. Its not from a lack of technology Just Kidding Lack of interest?
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think shoestring budgets are the biggest factor. There is a thriving international market for anime, so studios can afford to pay a bit more on computer graphics, but live-action films don't have such a high level of demand abroad. Instead of just licensing and subtitling them like anime, US companies interested in Japanese films frequently remake them entirely (i.e., all the recent J-Horror movies).

It's unfortunate, though (and Kitsuno, a lot of the plots for Japanese movies aren't that fantastic to begin with Smile ). I'd love to see chanbara flicks made to the level of stuff like "Hero" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". "Azumi" and the "Zatouichi" remake just aren't cutting it, I'm afraid...
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, for stuff that relates to the level of Hero...we may have to wait for the Fuurin Kazan Taiga drama coming up.

Think it'll do what you want it to? Of course, blood and guts/big budgets won't be in the high levels, but it may be enough...

I do agree, though, about the lack of CG/epic nature in the jidai-geki films of today. I think films from the golden age stand in higher regard than the jidaigeki from today.

I wonder if they will start going up.
Metsuke
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a torrent site that has Taiga dramas?
Anywho, on a semi-related note on Japanese FX, something that has bugged me for along time and was just now reminded of it, where did the 20ft blood spray come from? I've been dying to know!
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
(and Kitsuno, a lot of the plots for Japanese movies aren't that fantastic to begin with Smile ).

Generally speaking, they don't try to rely on CGI to carry the story. A lot of the movies would NEVEr be made in the USA, because they are "too" character driven. The focus is on the characters or the story, and there is very little action, or the action is not used to carry the story. The ratio of good to bad movies is probably pretty even, but the good movies are real good, and unlike the USA they don't rely on CGI.
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, arterial sprays are a reality.

Some movies exaggerate them, but they do exist.
Metsuke
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, but like in chambara and anime? And its only them who do it. You never see it in American or European cinema.
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I would attribute that to the weapons they are using the cut people. Fine cuts produce preasure.

Guns shot wounds...not so much.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, I agree that US films tend to be overly reliant on kewl effects, but I think Japanese movies' emphasis on character driven plots is more a matter of budget necessity than choice. I'd kind of like to see a bit more variety in the characters focused on, too, but that's definitely not a problem unique to Japanese cinema.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a "Hero" or CTHD-style samurai epic yet. Japanese history is every bit as cool as Chinese, and I think if it was produced on an epic scale (perhaps with a grant from the government, like "Hero" received in China) it could do quite well in fostering international interest in Japan and a subsequent influx of $$$. If a movie is cool enough non-Japanese audiences will put up with subtitles and a lack of major stars, and maybe we could get away from the recent "Well, we have to cast this one chick, because she's the only one who can speak any English" phenomenon.
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simply, it's budget.

But these days CG in Japanese movies aren't that bad.
I saw Lorelei and Yamato and Shinobi and Always last year.
The CG were pretty good.
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Re CGI:

Go watch Fukuro no Shiro (Owl's Castle). CGI out the wazoo, and most of it isn't noticable because it's low-profile CGI (buildings that weren't there, towns that weren't there, temple interiors that weren't there) rather than giant monsters or explosions.

Tony
Metsuke
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, looks like Im a 'tard who just hasnt seen enough recent Japanese films. Oh well. Guess I'll just try to get some newer films.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: