Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Samurai Heraldry Gallery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
UESUGI KENSHIN (1530 - 1578), the almost legendary and colorful 'Dragon of Echigo' need no introduction. He was first named
NAGAO KAGETORA. In 1547 he defeated his brother Harukage to become the head of the Nagao family, a vassal of the Yamaouchi-Uesugi. As Nagao Kagetora, Uesugi Kenshin would have first displayed the Nagao banners below.

The Nagao banners above are seen in festivals honoring Uesugi Kenshin and in Taiga dramas depicting the great warlord of Echigo.

In 1551 Kagetora provided protection for his overlord Uesugi Norimasa, head of the Yamaouchi branch of the Uesugi. Kagetora would later be adopted by Norimasa. Kagetora would then display the heraldry of the Uesugi (below) as his own.

The Uesugi banners above can be seen in festivals honoring Uesugi Kenshin and the Kawanakajima battles.

The red sun disc on blue, a treasure of the Uesugi House. The 'Bishamonten' banner Kenshin's personal standard. The 'Dragon' banner raised on the battlefield when Kenshin goes on the attack.

The very first samurai heraldry I learned about after buying my first samurai book so many years ago. One of the most frequently illustrated and described set of banners. Examples of the banners above have survived, photos show the blue fan to be in very bad shape.

The banners here may represent sets of 'unit heraldry' within the Uesugi army. The white nobori and hata-jirushi are based on a Kawanakajima screen. The white sashimono with bird mon is said to belong to a Uesugi family member. The red fukinuki and 'shige' standard appear in the '100' heraldry book. The red fukinuki also appear in the Kawanakajima screen. I am still looking into the meaning of the 'shige' banners.

Last edited by evalerio on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:14 pm; edited 21 times in total
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
UESUGI KAGEKATSU (1555-1623), Kenshin's nephew who won the battle for succession following the death of the great warlord of Echigo. Sided against Tokugawa Ieyasu during the Sekigahara campaign, but would fight for Ieyasu during the Osaka Winter Campaign. During the operation to take the riverside forts he captured Shigino fort. He was counterattacked by the Osaka garrison and had to be reinforced by the Horio, Niwa and Sakakibara contingents. He refused Ieyasu's call to withdraw from the battle.

The nobori and blue sashimono are from color plates in Turnbull's books, Kagekatsu 'inheriting' them as Kenshin's successor. The three uma-jirushi appear in color plates in two Rekishi Gunzo books. The red sashimono and the two uma-jirushi flags appear in O Uma-jirushi.

Last edited by evalerio on Sun May 08, 2011 11:44 am; edited 15 times in total
Kagemusha
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems Amako Tsunehisa had also a red and white Hata Jirushi. Caption taken from the same Taiga drama that shows correctly Ouchi Yoshioki´s Hata Jirushi and Nobori:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5721/tsunehisa.jpg
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For now I can't verify red Amako banners.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NAOE KAGETSUNA (1509 - 1577), one of Uesugi Kenshin's principal retainers. Commander of the baggage train and rear guard at the Saigawa at the 4th Battle of Kawanakajima.

Nobori are based on the '100' heraldry book. The blue and white nobori can be seen on the Kawanakajima screen. The uma-jirushi is based on the illustration on Turnbull's 'Samurai Warlord'. Participants in the annual Kawanakajima festival use a red uma-jirushi and the sashimono.

TENCHIJIN: HIGUCHI KAGETSUGU became the head of the Naoe as NAOE KANETSUGU (1560 - 1619). He served Uesugi Kagekatsu. During the Sekigahara campaign the Uesugi sided with Ishida Mitsunari. Kanetsugu led 20,000 Uesugi troops to confront the Mogami, Date, Nanbu and Akita. He laid siege to Hataya, Kaminoyama and Hasedo on his march towards Yamagata, Mogami Yoshiaki's HQ. With the defeat of the Western aliiance at Sekigahara Kanetsugu raised the siege of Hasedo and withdrew.

The banners are based on the '100' book. The three red nobori on the right are based on the '118' book. The white banners are Kanetsugu's personal banners, while the red represent the Naoe. An example of the white uma-jirushi with the bird mon still survives.

Last edited by evalerio on Mon May 09, 2011 12:15 am; edited 10 times in total
Kagemusha
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
evalerio wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
It seems Amako Tsunehisa had also a red and white Hata Jirushi. Caption taken from the same Taiga drama that shows correctly Ouchi Yoshioki´s Hata Jirushi and Nobori:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5721/tsunehisa.jpg

I cannot confirm for now if there were red Amako banners.

I would caution on using Taiga drama as reference for heraldry. Film makers have to take artistic license to prevent confusion for the viewers, or worse, for dramatic visual effect. I can understand why. Film makers avoid having two armies in battle flying the same color banners. In most cases color rather than mon for instant recognition. Entire armies made up of different clans or contingents using the same color and/or mon.

While the main HQ banners may be correct or come close, most of the banners become more fictional as you get to the front ranks. 'Historical' dramas that used fictional heraldry:
Dokugan-ryu Masamune
Kagemusha
Furin Kazan (TV series and film)
Ten to Chi to
BBC's Shogun

NOTE: The formation of the army on the march in the Taiga drama looks more like a European army.

I agree that most of the movies and series are making a crappy job in showing heradlry. But in particular the one that the captions are from "Mori Motonari", has made impression to me by depicting heraldry. Maybe not small thanks because of the period when the drama starts. Namely turn of the 16th century. Thus the Sashimono´s had not appeared on the battlefields, so the series is only depicting only Hata Jirushi´s and odd Nobori here and there.Here are couple other captions showing quite accurately other clans heraldry then Amako:

Ouchi:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8528/ouchi2.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6770/ouchi1.jpg

Mori:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1751/mori.jpg

Another Amako:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7282/amago2.jpg

Ofcourse. The producers might have done perfect job with the two first and messed up the third, but id keep an open mind about it. About the European look, maybe indeed how the Hata Jirushi is flown there is similarity to European armies of the time and their flags, because lack of frame compared to Uma Jirushi,Nobori or even Sashimono.
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
KAKIZAKI KAGEIE (1513? - 1575?), one of Uesugi Kenshin's '28 Generals'. Led the vanguard at 4th Kawanakajima and charged into the contingent of Shingen's brother Takeda Nobushige who was killed in the ensuing battle.

The 'Praying Mantis' uma-jirushi and red 'Radish' flags are flown by participants in annual samurai festivals honoring Uesugi Kenshin and appear in color plates in Turnbull's 'Samurai Warlords' and Osprey's Kawanakajima Campaign book. The first white 'Radish' uma-jirushi appears in a color plate in a Rekishi Gunzo book which feature one of the Kawanakajima Screens where the standard can be seen. The second white 'Radish' Uma-jirushi and the wild boar standard appear in the compilation book of 100 heraldry sets. The wild boar standard can also be seen in the Kawanakajima screen.

NOTE: I don't know if there were two actual 'Radish' Uma-jirushi, or if they are the result of different interpretations by two different artists. (As an example, I have THREE different 'Shoki' O Uma-jirushi belonging to Honda Tadakatsu!)

HONJO SHIGENAGA (1539 - 1613), one of Kenshin's 28 generals. Often troublesome, defying and disobeying Kenshin. At the 4th Battle of Kawanakajima, Shigenaga's contingent was in the vanguard led by Kakizaki Kageie.

Banners are from the '100' book. The uma-jirushi can be seen in the Kawanakajima festivals and in a color plate in Turnbull's 'Samurai Warlord'. NOTE: The sashimono is speculative based on the uma-jirushi, but appears in books and films as Murakami sashimono.

Last edited by evalerio on Sun May 08, 2011 10:45 pm; edited 9 times in total
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Emmanuel, I can barely keep up with the revisions. I particularly like the new banners held by ashigaru and samurai. Very Happy John
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
John, the ashigaru was 'extracted' from my illustration of Date Masamune and his hatamoto.

MURAKAMI YOSHIKIYO (1503 - 1573), a formidable warlord of Shinano who waged a 30-year defensive campaign against Takeda Shingen before he fought under the banner of Uesugi Kenshin. He defeated Shingen at the Battle of Uedahara. He fought in Kenshin's headquarters division at the 4th Battle of Kawanakajima.

Yoshikiyo's banners appear in several Rekishi Gunzo heraldry books. The uma-jirushi in hata-jirushi form has slashed lower edges. The red nobori can be seen in the Kawanakajima screen. The uma-jirushi flag is based on a drawing in Turnbull's 'Samurai Warlords', this flag can be seen used by reenactors in Kawanakajima festivals. The sashimono is based on Terje Solums' book 'Saga of the Samurai' #3 on Takeda Shingen.

Last edited by evalerio on Sun May 08, 2011 11:09 am; edited 3 times in total
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TAKEMATA HIROTSUNA, replaced Kakizaki Kageie's vanguard as it withdrew to regroup. Takemata Hirotsuna led the second wave which crashed into the contingents of Naito Masatoyo and Shingen's uncle Morozumi Masakiyo. Hirotsuna was knocked off his horse as the troops collided and Morozumi Masakiyo would die in the fighting.

The nobori is based on vague description in Turnbull's Sourcebook, aided by an illustration of the uma-jirushi banner in Turnbull's 'Samurai Warlords'. The 3d uma-jirushi of a 'Venetian blind' bamboo screen and sashimono are based on color plate in Osprey's Kawanakajima Campaign Book. The uma-jirushi banner used in the annual Kawanakajima festival.

SUIBARA TAKAIE (1546 - 1616), one of Kenshin's '28 Generals'. Fought in the second wave at 4th Kawanakajima. He would go on to serve Uesugi Kagekatsu at the siege of Osaka.

The nobori is described in The Sourcebook. The uma-jirushi is illustrated in Turnbull's 'Samurai Warlords' and the sashimono in the Osprey Kawanakajima campaign book. The uma-jirushi used in the annual Kawanakajima festival.

Last edited by evalerio on Sun May 08, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 8 times in total
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MATSUMOTO KAGESHIGE, one of Kenshin's '28 Generals'. Fought in the third rank at 4th Kawanakajima and received a letter of commendation for bravery from Kenshin.

The nobori is described in The Sourcebook. The uma-jirushi is illustrated in 'Samurai Warlords' and the sashimono is illustrated in Osprey's Kawanakajima Campaign book. The banners are flown by participants in annual festivals depicting the Matsumoto in the Uesugi warband. NOTE: The sashimono is illustrated in Osprey in reverse image with the white side with mon next to the flag pole. The plain black and white sashimono can be seen in one of the Kawanakajima screens.

SUDA CHIKAMITSU (1526 - 1598), a warlord of Northern Shinano who fought alongside his neighbors against Takeda Shingen before seeking help from Uesugi Kemshin. He would serve Kenshin as one of his '28 generals'. He fought in the third rank at 4th Kawanakajima.

The nobori is described in The Sourcebook and illustrated in 'Samurai Warlords'. The uma-jirushi is based on the banner used by reenactors during the Kawanakajima festivals. The blue sashimono is illustrated in Osprey's Kawanakajima Campaign book, the white sashimono from the Kawanakajima screens.

YASUDA NAGAHIDE, one of the '28 Generals'. Fought on the left flank at 4th Kawanakajima and received a letter of commendation for bravery from Kenshin. Woud go on to support Kagekatsu during Otate no Ran.

The nobori and sashimono are from the Kawanakajima screens. The uma-jirushi illustrated in 'Samurai Warlords' and can be seen at the annual Kawanakajima festival.

AMAKASU KAGEMOCHI - One of Kenshin's '28 Generals'. Led Kenshin's rearguard at 4th Kawanakajima. With only 1,000 men had the impossible task of holding off 12,000 Takeda troops at the ford at Chikumagawa.

The nobori is based on vague description in Turnbull's Sourcebook, aided by an illustration of the uma-jirushi banner in Turnbull's 'Samurai Warlords'. The 3d 'sunburst' uma-jirushi and sashimono are based on color plate in Osprey's Kawanakajima Campaign Book.

Last edited by evalerio on Sun May 08, 2011 12:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Hojo Clan of Odawara Retainers Reply with quote
Nicely done Evalerio. Greetings Smile I was amazed the way you designed the banners of the Hojo Clan and this is one of my favorites. I am inquiring about the Hojo Clan retainers (Daidoji, Matsuda,Kano, Toyama, Inomata, Itabeoka, Narita, Ueda, Shimizu and Okamoto Masahide)have you seen there personal flags or sashimonos from this loyal retainers? Very Happy

Thank you,

Larry
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hojo Clan of Odawara Retainers Reply with quote
Thank you. I am currently trying to find banners on the names on your list, with very little luck. What I have on Daidoji have been added to page 2, right after the Hojo sets. Stay tuned as Hojo Ujiyasu will also be updated later.

Last edited by evalerio on Tue May 31, 2011 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hojo Clan of Odawara Retainers Reply with quote
Salamat Evalerio. Looking forward more on the Hojo Clan Banners and their retainers.

evalerio wrote:
YellowRegiment wrote:
Nicely done Evalerio. Greetings Smile I was amazed the way you designed the banners of the Hojo Clan and this is one of my favorites. I am inquiring about the Hojo Clan retainers (Daidoji, Matsuda,Kano, Toyama, Inomata, Itabeoka, Narita, Ueda, Shimizu and Okamoto Masahide)have you seen there personal flags or sashimonos from this loyal retainers? Very Happy

Thank you,

Larry

Thank you. I am currently trying to find banners on the names on your list, with very little luck. What I have on Daidoji have been added to page 2, right after the Hojo sets. Stay tuned as Hojo Ujiyasu will also be updated later.
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hojo Clan of Odawara Retainers Reply with quote
Awesome artwork Smile Evalerio on Daidoji banners. I will upload a picture here soon and due to research and base on one of the Rekishi Gunzo books that I bought couple of weeks ago. In this book it has a picture of Samurai on horseback with his personal banner.

YellowRegiment
YellowRegiment wrote:
Salamat Evalerio. Looking forward more on the Hojo Clan Banners and their retainers.

evalerio wrote:
YellowRegiment wrote:

Thank you,

Larry

YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Hojo Clan Retainer Reply with quote
Greetings again Evalerio, I just uploaded this picture and does show a couple of Hojo samurai and ashigaru. As you can see in Japanese language, the samurai on horseback must have been a retainer for the Hojo Clan, I just don't know who he is and the sashimono he have. The rest of the the samurai have a sashimono in which entirely don't know what it is. Thought I could help you on your research. Smile
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hojo Clan Retainer Reply with quote
I have that same book. I don't have a name for it yet. The mon is the same as Tada for the Takeda and Watanabe for the Uesugi.

I have three other sets of flags belonging to the Hojo family, but haven't identified them yet. Tracking Hojo retainers whose banners may have survived by being recorded in 'O Uma-jirushi', by serving Tokugawa Ieyasu after the fall of the Hojo.

Last edited by evalerio on Tue May 31, 2011 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hojo Clan Retainer Reply with quote
Good to go brother, I guess we are in progress of relieving the past. I see you also have the same book. I am currently working on a diorama base on the rest of the other banners you've created in this website particularly the Battle of Kawagoe in which Hojo Tsunanari was completely surrounded by Ogigayatsu Tomosada, Uesugi Norimasa and Ashikaga Haruuji. It seems to happen the rest of the other surviving Hojo retainers after the fall of Odawara castle in 1590 has to serve Tokugawa Ieyasu. I know so much to ask..any resources when it comes to the banners of Ogigayatsu and Uesugi Normasa?
evalerio wrote:
YellowRegiment wrote:
Greetings again Evalerio, I just uploaded this picture and does show a couple of Hojo samurai and ashigaru. As you can see in Japanese language, the samurai on horseback must have been a retainer for the Hojo Clan, I just don't know who he is and the sashimono he have. The rest of the the samurai have a sashimono in which entirely don't know what it is. Thought I could help you on your research. Smile

I have that same book. I don't have a name for it yet. The mon is the same as Tada for the Takeda and Watanabe for the Uesugi.

I have three other sets of flags belonging to the Hojo family, but haven't identified them yet. Tracking Hojo retainers whose banners may have survived by being recorded in 'O Uma-jirushi', by serving Tokugawa Ieyasu after the fall of the Hojo.
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am currently trying to put together what I have on the armies of Kai, Suruga, Sagami, Shinano, Kozuke, and Echigo, covering 'The Age of Takeda Shingen'. To see if I have enough for a book. So far I have over 90 sets, with Shingen alone occupying 5 pages of banners. I am working on the chapter for the Hojo and the battle of Kawagoe.

For Uesugi Norimasa: The Uesugi Mon of two birds inside a circle of bamboo.
Nobori- dark blue with three mon in white.
Uma-jirushi- dark blue with mon in white.
Sashimono- dark blue with mon in white.

From what I can find at the moment, the Ogigayatsu appear to use identical mon and banners. There are 'reverse' examples, white flags with mon in black.
OishiYoshio
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just something to ponder and keep an eye out for. The Murakami Suigun character 上 has been described as having a loop at the beginning (left) of the bottom stroke, to distinguish it from other 上 Mon. (This was told me by a Mr Murakami, one of the City council chiefs today on In-no-Shima.)

See here: http://0845.jp/shimanami/archives/002247.shtml
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the response Evalerio. Now I got the idea on what I will do for the diorama with all the banners for Uesugi Norimasa and Ogigayatsu Clan. Looking forward for that chapter you are working on for the Hojo Clan for the battle of Kawagoe.
evalerio wrote:
I am currently trying to put together what I have on the armies of Kai, Suruga, Sagami, Shinano, Kozuke, and Echigo, covering 'The Age of Takeda Shingen'. To see if I have enough for a book. So far I have over 90 sets, with Shingen alone occupying 5 pages of banners. I am working on the chapter for the Hojo and the battle of Kawagoe.

For Uesugi Norimasa: The Uesugi Mon of two birds inside a circle of bamboo.
Nobori- dark blue with three mon in white.
Uma-jirushi- dark blue with mon in white.
Sashimono- dark blue with mon in white.

From what I can find at the moment, the Ogigayatsu appear to use identical mon and banners. There are 'reverse' examples, white flags with mon in black.
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hojo Clan of Odawara Retainers Reply with quote
The Kamon on Daidoji banners are almost related to Heike(Taira Clan). Now for the Ko-umarijushu it is the same with Takeda Katsuyori's banners. Nicely done.
evalerio wrote:
YellowRegiment wrote:

Thank you,

Larry

evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hojo Clan of Odawara Retainers Reply with quote
Takeda Katsuyori's uma jirushi is Tai for 'great'.

For Daidoji the same character is for first character for Dai doji.

Last edited by evalerio on Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Hojo Ujiyasu Banners Reply with quote
Good to go Evalerio..I did not know he have a Red Nobori. Did he inherit this Hojo Ujitsuna or probably somebody design for him? Not only that almost identical to Hojo Soun except that he does not have the white fish scale mon and gold piping in the middle.
evalerio wrote:
The HOJO of Odawara.

HOJO UJIYASU (1515-1570)

The main banners are described in Turnbull's Sourcebook and 'Samurai Warlords' and appear in Rekishi Gunzo books.

Turnbull described the core of Hojo Ujiyasu's army, the Go Hatamoto, in the Sourcebook and 'Samurai Warlords'. Six 'companies' with 7 'units' and one company with six 'units'. Each unit composed of a 'captain' leading 20 men, all wearing 'unit' kana sashimono. Sashimono with the kana in red identifies a 'unit' led by one of Ujiyasu's 'generals'. The Go Hatamoto has a total of 1008 men.

The complete set of characters appear in 'Samurai Warlords', if arranged in the correct order is said to spell a poem.

Forming the Hojo second rank in the battle line were the go-shiki sonae, the five coloured regiments, in the five lucky colours of yellow, white, red, blue, and black.

HOJO TSUNANARI (1515-1587), the hero of the night battle of Kawagoe, commanded the Yellow Regiment.

The uma-jirushi is described in the Sourcebook and crudely illustrated in 'Samurai Warlords'. A reproduction is briefly seen in the TV series 'Furin Kazan' at the night battle of Kawagoe. The sashimono, nobori and hata-jirushi are based on those used during the Hojo Odawara Godai Matsuri.

KASAWARA NOTO of Shimoda castle, commanded the White Regiment. I could not find examples of his banners, but they were probably the same as those of HOJO UJISHIGE (1536-1578), son of Tsunanari who distinguished himself in battles against Kenshin and Shingen.

The hata-jirushi is based on those used in the Hojo Odawara Godai Matsuri. Ujishige's complete set is described in the Sourcebook and illustrated in 'O uma-jirushi'.

I know very little about the other colour regiment commanders.

HOJO TSUNATAKA of Tamanawa Castle, commanded the Red Regiment.

The nobori is from a Rekishi Gunzo color plate. The red sashimono with white mon is from a photo of a surviving example. The rest are based on those used in the Hojo Odawara Godai Matsuri.

TOMINAGA UEMON of Kurihashi Castle, commanded the Blue Regiment.

All are based on those used in the Hojo Festival.

TAME SUO no kami of Hirai Castle, commanded the Black Regiment.

Speculation based on the other 'colored' examples. Rare and hard to see in photos and videos of the Hojo Festivals.
YellowRegiment
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which Rekishi Gunzon book you are refering to about the Hojo Ujiyasu Banners?
evalerio wrote:
The HOJO of Odawara.

HOJO UJIYASU (1515-1570)

The main banners are described in Turnbull's Sourcebook and 'Samurai Warlords' and appear in Rekishi Gunzo books.

Turnbull described the core of Hojo Ujiyasu's army, the Go Hatamoto, in the Sourcebook and 'Samurai Warlords'. Six 'companies' with 7 'units' and one company with six 'units'. Each unit composed of a 'captain' leading 20 men, all wearing 'unit' kana sashimono. Sashimono with the kana in red identifies a 'unit' led by one of Ujiyasu's 'generals'. The Go Hatamoto has a total of 1008 men.

The complete set of characters appear in 'Samurai Warlords', if arranged in the correct order is said to spell a poem.

Forming the Hojo second rank in the battle line were the go-shiki sonae, the five coloured regiments, in the five lucky colours of yellow, white, red, blue, and black.

HOJO TSUNANARI (1515-1587), the hero of the night battle of Kawagoe, commanded the Yellow Regiment.

The uma-jirushi is described in the Sourcebook and crudely illustrated in 'Samurai Warlords'. A reproduction is briefly seen in the TV series 'Furin Kazan' at the night battle of Kawagoe. The sashimono, nobori and hata-jirushi are based on those used during the Hojo Odawara Godai Matsuri.

KASAWARA NOTO of Shimoda castle, commanded the White Regiment. I could not find examples of his banners, but they were probably the same as those of HOJO UJISHIGE (1536-1578), son of Tsunanari who distinguished himself in battles against Kenshin and Shingen.

The hata-jirushi is based on those used in the Hojo Odawara Godai Matsuri. Ujishige's complete set is described in the Sourcebook and illustrated in 'O uma-jirushi'.

I know very little about the other colour regiment commanders.

HOJO TSUNATAKA of Tamanawa Castle, commanded the Red Regiment.

The nobori is from a Rekishi Gunzo color plate. The red sashimono with white mon is from a photo of a surviving example. The rest are based on those used in the Hojo Odawara Godai Matsuri.

TOMINAGA UEMON of Kurihashi Castle, commanded the Blue Regiment.

All are based on those used in the Hojo Festival.

TAME SUO no kami of Hirai Castle, commanded the Black Regiment.

Speculation based on the other 'colored' examples. Rare and hard to see in photos and videos of the Hojo Festivals.
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OishiYoshio wrote:
Just something to ponder and keep an eye out for. The Murakami Suigun character 上 has been described as having a loop at the beginning (left) of the bottom stroke, to distinguish it from other 上 Mon. (This was told me by a Mr Murakami, one of the City council chiefs today on In-no-Shima.)

See here: http://0845.jp/shimanami/archives/002247.shtml

The Murakami mon with a 'loop' is not depicted with the different mon used by Shinano warlord Murakami Yoshikiyo (above on this page).

The Murakami mon with a 'loop' IS depicted with the different mon used by Murakami Takeyoshi, admiral of the Mori navy. The 'looped' mon is however not used on the banners I illustrated on page 5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: