Register :: Log in :: Profile   

The S-A Journal of Japanese History Info
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordameth wrote:
OK. Didn't mean to be pushy or anything. Just curious...

...Huh?

I was just commenting on the general situation - something I've been planning on for a while but never got around to doing until now.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've completly forget about this actually...

Kitsuno, could you kindly PM me some details about the article submissions? (Word count, style, etc...)

I look forward to submitting shortly.
-alex
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dash101 wrote:
I've completly forget about this actually...

Kitsuno, could you kindly PM me some details about the article submissions? (Word count, style, etc...)

I look forward to submitting shortly.
-alex

Check the webpage, it will save me time. As for page count, probably no less than 10, and no upward limit, although 100 pages would probably be too much.

lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
...Huh?

I was just commenting on the general situation - something I've been planning on for a while but never got around to doing until now.

Ah. I see now how my comment could have been taken sarcastically, as if I had taken your response to be hostile or something. 何もそんなつもりはなかった。ごめんなさい。

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kitsuno, I'm ready to submit my article on "Ronin". I sent you a PM asking information on how to do it.
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Lord Shibata wrote:
How do you enter submissions to journal? Someone said I should make bio of Shibata Katsuie for it, see how its recieved.

http://www.samurai-archives.com/journal/Submission.html
The email link on this page seems to have been disabled. Will it be re-enabled, or is there a different email?
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wave Tossed wrote:
kitsuno wrote:
Lord Shibata wrote:
How do you enter submissions to journal? Someone said I should make bio of Shibata Katsuie for it, see how its recieved.

The email link on this page seems to have been disabled. Will it be re-enabled, or is there a different email?

Replace the [at] with @.

On a kyoto station computer - gotta go!

Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Wave Tossed wrote:
kitsuno wrote:
Lord Shibata wrote:

Replace the [at] with @.

Thanks! Got it! The article is on its way to the journal. Let me know if there are any changes that need to be made. It's an attached Word document.

Have fun in Kyoto. I might be able to make it there myself next fall, for a brief visit.
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Still my favorite city in the world...

The cost of living times the population divided by population density minus the cost of living plus the proximity of amazing historical places subtracted by the work opportunities equals an equation that equals a great city. Very Happy
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I heard that people in Kyoto tend to be quite unpleasant as compared to most parts of Japan, as they are sick and tired of the hordes of tourists who pervade what would otherwise be a relatively quiet, and extremely historical, cultural, spiritual city.

(Don't get me wrong; I'd love to live out there, in such a historical/cultural environment rather than here in Yokohama. But I'd heard this was one of the major downsides of Kyoto.)

Thoughts?

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I heard that people in Kyoto tend to be quite unpleasant as compared to most parts of Japan, as they are sick and tired of the hordes of tourists who pervade what would otherwise be a relatively quiet, and extremely historical, cultural, spiritual city.

I have never encountered this. I should say though that my wife and I looked at purchasing an apartment in Kyoto and came across a lot questions about personal family backgrounds and such that was a little strange.

But no, I would say in my experience, the people are just people. Very kind, very warm. I often sense that they tell you what they are thinking more then say Tokyio-ites probably would. But that is just an opinion. On the whole, very kind and inviting people.

I have had tea on many, many occasions with older women who i just happened to meet on the street. Topics of local history, or my home country of Canada and the like. That has never happened to me in Tokyo or anywhere else in the world (Asides from my home town of Ottawa. But thats really apple and oranges).
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordameth wrote:

(Don't get me wrong; I'd love to live out there, in such a historical/cultural environment rather than here in Yokohama. But I'd heard this was one of the major downsides of Kyoto.)

Thoughts?

You must have heard that from those snotty Tokyo denizens Just Kidding . I've always found the people in Kyoto to be very helpful and friendly, and many of them will go out of their way to strike up a conversation at a temple, shrine, or other historical site (and not just to practice their English!). The people in my neighborhood southwest of the main station in Minami-ku are particularly nice, especially when it comes to actively including me in the local social gatherings. People from Kyoto are proud of the city and really love talking about it with foreigners.
As far as "hordes of tourists who pervade what would otherwise be a relatively quiet, and extremely historical, cultural, spiritual city", you'd be surprised how few foreigners you're likely to spot outside of the 4 or 5 biggest tourist draws that the tour busses service (Nijo, Kiyomizudera, Kinkokuji, the old Imperial Palace, etc). Tokyo, Osaka, Yokohama, etc, all have much larger concentrations of foreigners prowling the streets.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordameth wrote:

Thoughts?

When you actually speak Japanese they are fine, like pretty much everywhere else in Japan. Although one of the front desk women at my hotel was quite the bitch to me on a daily basis when I had to deal with her, but I think it was because she was incapable of pairing a gaijin with the Japanese language, and that she actual was a bitch. Her co-workers were all fine, but robotic. I've found it is hard to have a conversation with someone when they can only speak in baka-teinei.

Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How was the trip?
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dash101 wrote:
How was the trip?

I'm still in Kyoto, leaving tonight. Guess I'll post a comprehensive follow up with images when I get back, in a more appropriate thread.

Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds great. I hope you have had a chance to go to a 豆腐懐石!
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any news about when the S-A History Journal will be edited and published? Very Happy
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wave Tossed wrote:
Any news about when the S-A History Journal will be edited and published? Very Happy

Wave,

I seem to recall that you asked this very same question not very long ago. As Kitsuno is 1) swamped with work and 2)having PC trouble, I'll answer this question. As soon as there are enough articles to assure the release of a few journal editions, it will be launched. We need to ensure that there are enough articles to fill up a year's worth.

If you are keen to get some feedback on your ronin article in the form of a peer review (Kitsuno is VERY busy, believe me!) email it to me and I can post it on the Kyoshitsu study group Yahoo page where I uploaded other articles and the peer review can start.

Just keep in mind that peer reviews are no walk in the park.

Kitsuno- I think we need a smiley for a ronin bouncy dog! Just Kidding

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi

Last edited by Obenjo Kusanosuke on Sat May 24, 2008 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a little time at the moment to answer, and yes, I'm overrun with non-internet stuff, and my laptop is hooked up to a heart-lung machine and is going to get the plug pulled. I plan on buying a new one within 3 weeks or so.

The other problem is pretty basic - a lack of assistance/interest (not a blame thing, I don't even have the time right now). But suffice it to say, all of the articles are saved safely to my haddrive and my portable harddrive, and assuming we get more entries and assuming I can get help, there is a fair chance we'll have it done before the end of the year.

Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
[CONTAINS EDITS]

I'm sorry, but a misunderstanding seems to have arisen. And in reply, I wrote some rather sarcastic comments to one of the moderators that may have sounded offensive to him. In an attempt to clear up the misunderstanding rather than fanning the flames further, I am deleting these comments. Instead, I will re-iterate my true reasons for wanting to see the Samurai Archives Journal be edited and eventually published.

I posted in another section about how I thought that the Samurai Archives Journal would provide welcome and refreshingly different articles and viewpoints from amateur historians. I did not have any idea at all that this comment would be mis-interpreted to mean that I only want the Samurai Archives Journal to be published because it might contain my own article that I have submitted.

I didn't mention my article in my earlier comments. It is quite possible that my article will not be included in the SA Journal. I submitted it, and the editors are free to accept it, give suggestions for re-write, or reject it outright.

In any event, whether the Journal contains my article or doesn't contain it, my main desire is to be able to read the articles that do end up being included in the Journal. I'm sure that they will be very interesting. I realize that, being non-professionals in the Japanese History field -- and thus very busy with their own full-time job commitments -- the editors will have to take their time in editing and publishing what I'm sure will be a fine journal.

Last edited by Wave Tossed on Sat May 24, 2008 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
I have a little time at the moment to answer, and yes, I'm overrun with non-internet stuff, and my laptop is hooked up to a heart-lung machine and is going to get the plug pulled. I plan on buying a new one within 3 weeks or so.

The other problem is pretty basic - a lack of assistance/interest (not a blame thing, I don't even have the time right now). But suffice it to say, all of the articles are saved safely to my haddrive and my portable harddrive, and assuming we get more entries and assuming I can get help, there is a fair chance we'll have it done before the end of the year.
Thank you. That's all I needed to know. Very Happy

By the way, if you need some assistance with reading/editing, etc. please let me know. Perhaps I can give you some help. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: