Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Did I hear someone say....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Ruin
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Did I hear someone say.... Reply with quote
Sammyrui?
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/101393/How_It_s_Made_Samurai_Sword_Katana.html
I just ran across this awhile ago. Its kind of interesting. But I think some of their information is wrong. Confused Well anyways. Enjoy. I guess.
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In your opinion which information is wrong ?

BTW, I'm quiet sure the old man you see in the video is the last survivor of the Yasukuni tatara in which
WWII top level swords were made. If it wasn't for his contribution we would have no more tatara.
His contribution to the making of the present dayu ONLY working tatara was priceless.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I enjoyed it. I think the program covered the basics very nicely. The only part that I thought a bit ridiculous was towards the end when the swordsman deflected arrows in flight. Other than showing that the man had quick reflexes, I didn't understand the point of the demonstration.

If it was me, I would have eliminated the circus tricks and used that time on the sword fittings (koshirae, tsuba).
rikoseishin
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw this awhile back. And it was decent but there are a couple of problems. The main one is Tanaka Fumon, the guy Ranger was talking about. There is a thread in the MA section, if anyone is interested, so I will just say he takes away from the quality and legitimacy of the document. And the other is the bushi sentenced to seppuku in the forest. But I am just more wandering what he did to deserve that Shocked

Jonah Matheson
Lord Ruin
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tsubame1 wrote:

BTW, I'm quiet sure the old man you see in the video is the last survivor of the Yasukuni tatara in which
WWII top level swords were made. If it wasn't for his contribution we would have no more tatara.
His contribution to the making of the present dayu ONLY working tatara was priceless.

Well. Wasn't the part about seppuku wrong? I always thought they cut the head off if the Samurai shows discomfort. Confused But then again. I'm no expert. So I apologize for any inanity.
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lord Ruin wrote:
Tsubame1 wrote:

Well. Wasn't the part about seppuku wrong? I always thought they cut the head off if the Samurai shows discomfort. Confused But then again. I'm no expert. So I apologize for any inanity.

I was under the impression that the reason there was a second (the guy who cuts the head off) was to prevent a long drawn out death. As the act of seppuku was the attonement for crimes/sins or preservation of honor and the beheading was a release so to not suffer by bleeding to death. Seppuku would also be used to prevent your enemy from taking you captive as well.
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lord Ruin wrote:
I always thought they cut the head off if the Samurai shows discomfort.

When you have a sword making a triangular or x-shaped cut in your stomach, it's awful hard to not show discomfort, I would think. The sight of my own intestines spilling into my lap would be a bit discomforting to say the least, even without mentioning the pain.
SicklyBug
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
Lord Ruin wrote:
I always thought they cut the head off if the Samurai shows discomfort.

When you have a sword making a triangular or x-shaped cut in your stomach, it's awful hard to not show discomfort, I would think. The sight of my own intestines spilling into my lap would be a bit discomforting to say the least, even without mentioning the pain.

I can honestly say that I don't think I would make it past the blade's penetration. As soon as the blade enters my stomach, it would be rather hard to continue cutting with the pain that accompanies it. Then again after the adrenaline kicks in, who knows what is possible.

Has anyone read about anybody in history that could not continue with the ceremony? I would think that most people would be kind enough to omit such a weakness.
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Lord Ruin"]
Tsubame1 wrote:

Ah ok... the matters about the Samurai are debatable,
but Gassan Sama made quiet a good job in showing the info about the swordmaking.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this is the same show I saw on National Geographic and wrote about in the following thread http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=1422

4 guys make the steel; Gassan makes the sword; Honami polishes it; flashbacks to swords being tested on criminals; silly seppuku scene in the woods; Turnbull adds some analysis as does Inoue sensei on how swords are made; annoying "old boy" narrator keeps saying "sammyruai"; Tanaka Midori shows that she *can't* handle a sword then shoots an arrow at daddy Fumon, who cuts the arrow in half; blah blah blah.

Am I right? Is this the same show?

Last edited by Obenjo Kusanosuke on Wed May 09, 2007 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tsubame1 wrote:
Ah ok... the matters about the Samurai are debatable,
but Gassan Sama made quiet a good job in showing the info about the swordmaking.

I agree. Gassan Sadatoshi has always promoted knowledge of nihonto to western (non-Japanese) enthusiasts. The Gassan school is my favorite gendai swordsmith. Several years ago, I picked up a book at the NBTHK sword museum called "Japanese Master Swordsmiths: The Gassan Tradition" by the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. The book was written about 20 years ago, but the information is still good.
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
I think this is the same show I saw on National Geographic and wrote about in the following thread http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=1422

4 guys make the steel; Gassan makes the sword; Honami polishes it; flashbacks to swords being tested on criminals; silly seppuku scene in the woods; Turnbull adds some analysis as does Innoue sensei on how swords are made; annoying "old boy" narrator keeps saying "sammyruai"; Tanaka Midori shows that she *can't* handle a sword then shoots an arrow at daddy Fumon, who cuts the arrow in half; blah blah blah.

Yeah, that's the show.
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ranger wrote:
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:

4 guys make the steel; Gassan makes the sword; Honami polishes it; flashbacks to swords being tested on criminals; silly seppuku scene in the woods; Turnbull adds some analysis as does Innoue sensei on how swords are made; annoying "old boy" narrator keeps saying "sammyruai"; Tanaka Midori shows that she *can't* handle a sword then shoots an arrow at daddy Fumon, who cuts the arrow in half; blah blah blah.

Yeah, that's the show.

Thanks, Ranger. This show was pretty informative, but I really wanted to test a sword on the narrator by the time it was over.
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ranger wrote:
Several years ago, I picked up a book at the NBTHK sword museum called "Japanese Master Swordsmiths: The Gassan Tradition" by the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. The book was written about 20 years ago, but the information is still good.

A darn good one that my collection lacks...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: