Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Trusted Dealers for Armour (Kabuto specifically)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgd99
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Trusted Dealers for Armour (Kabuto specifically) Reply with quote
I have read and searched every post here and as far as trustworthy and/or quality dealers for Kabuto all I have found was one mention of Torado. Some links on the Nihonto message board had other dealers, but little Kabuto.

Does anyone have any recommendations for authentic antique Kabuto dealers (early Edo or pre Edo)? Other than Toraba, I find Shogun Armory. Those seem to be the only two with any type of Kabuto stock (and most are sold). There is a dealer in tokyo that has about 20 different web addresses, but they remind me of a NYC Times Square store and I don't know if they are reputable. Most other dealers are focused on weaponry.

Toraba seems to have more kabuto, but I am dissappointed that an e-mail I sent 4 days ago regarding one piece, has not been answered. Three days after I sent the e-mail, the items status was changed from avaialable to hold, so I know the owner is tending to the site.

So, I am looking for a well respected dealer (authentic items, accurately described items, expertise and customer service).

Any insight is welcome.

Best Regards

Mark
M.J.Peters
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kinokuniya Katchu

http://www.kinokuniya.tv/

They are in Tokyo and I've dealt with them before. They have more than what is shown on the website. The piece listed as B-2 is a nice Saotome kabuto. I examined this piece last week and the pictures don't do it justice (It *is* a little pricey but is a signed piece).

They also have a VERY nice haruta piece that isn't listed on the website.
mgd99
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the information. I was beginning to wonder if anyone here seriously collected samurai antiquities.

I had not seen that dealer, but probably because it is a non-English site and was not showing up on any of my searches. The piece you site is very nice, a bit pricey, but if it is completely original, it seems fair.

I will contact them to see what else they may have that is not listed. I don't speak Japanese so other than the price, I can't gain much from the descriptions on their website.

The two other websites I found have nice items, but they seem to sell before they get listed and also seem too busy to be bothered with new customers. Business must be too good.

Thanks again.

Mark
mgd99
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again.

I went with Shogun Armory and picked up this.

BR

Mark

SO FUKURIN SO HIGAKI 26 KEN Kabuto
Tachibana clan Momoyama-Early Edo period

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: