Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Clothes under an ashigaru's armour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harhad
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Clothes under an ashigaru's armour Reply with quote
Hi !

I am new here and I am getting more and more interested in the old japanese time.Apart from that I am a miniature-painter and I want to give my miniatures some historical backgrounds.My next project will be an ashigaru from the later 16th century.
But now my question:
What colour could the armour and what colour could their clothes have ? Would be nice if you could help me Smile

Regards , Chris
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd recommend checking out some books and looking at the actual ashigaru therein. I believe there are several decent Osprey series that you could look into, among others.

Of course, for some reason the 'classic' ashigaru to my mind is wearing a red-laced harumaki or domaru with nothing but a white fundoshi (loin cloth) underneath.

There are a lot of pictures of various battles that you can use for reference. Getting into all of the possible colors would probably take a while.

-Josh
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Clothes under an ashigaru's armour Reply with quote
Harhad wrote:
Hi !

I am new here and I am getting more and more interested in the old japanese time.Apart from that I am a miniature-painter and I want to give my miniatures some historical backgrounds.My next project will be an ashigaru from the later 16th century.
But now my question:
What colour could the armour and what colour could their clothes have ? Would be nice if you could help me Smile

Regards , Chris

Hi Chris,

What scale are your miniatures? I sculpt miniatures for figure companies and have done ashigaru in 28mm, 90mm and 120mm.

From the beginning, ashigaru wore their 'civilian' clothing under armour, especially 'part-timers', farmers becoming part-time soldiers. 'Cheap' in appearance and no uniformity within units. Plain in color, some with stripes.

'Elite' ashigaru could look different. Being on permanent service to their daimyo, their 'civilian' clothing could be of better quality. Those in the service of wealthier daimyo could wear 'uniform' color clothing.

In the latter part of the 16th century ALL ashigaru became permanent full-time professional soldiers. More and more of the ashigaru would have been equipped like the 'elite' units. More uniformed with better quality clothing and armour.

But depending on which army, daimyo or contingent, even by the end of the Sengoku period all the 'look' described above could apply, even within a particular army.

As for the colour of armour, the most common was black. Brown was next. Red was rare compared to the others, but by the latter part of the 16th century there were entire units of 'elite' ashigaru in red armour.

Ashigaru armour in better equipped armies often have the daimyo's mon painted on the breastplate and/or jingasa. The mon often painted in gold, some in red, very rarely in silver.

Some 'elite' units have multi-colored armour. Armour painted in different patterns would identify ashigaru of different daimyo, or even different 'companies' or 'platoons' within one army.

Color plate I did of ashigaru of Niwa Nagashige based on photo of actual armour:

This is the 'classic' look that ashigaru of the Sengoku period were often depicted.

BELOW: On the left for Kato Kiyomasa's ashigaru. On the right for Ishida Mitsunari's ashigaru.

Matsuura ashigaru, armour seen on the lower right in the photo above. Matsuura ashigaru in different 'weapons companies' had different colors and stripe patterns as unit identification. The artist has depicted a finer quality pair of pants for a 'later' time period, compared to the 'cheaper' pair I did on the Niwa for an 'earlier' period.

Designs and patterns on the jingasa identify the ashigaru unit. The one on the upper right belonging to ashigaru of Sengoku Hidehisa, whose ashigaru wore black lacquered armour with gold jingasa.
Harhad
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi !

I am writing about the 54mm Ashigaru from Pegaso miniatures (Italian company).

@Evalerio:
Hi !

For what company did you sculp ? Maybe a look makes me looking forward to buy it =)

The ashigaru i am going to paint is from the Azuchi-Momoyama Period.I am thinking of painting him in a red armour with the 'Hôjô' symbol because its just my favourite one.But I will wait until my order is at home and until I am really sure( - historical background - ).

Ps.: What do you think about my english Smile ?

Regards , Chris
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Chris,

Your English is as good as mine, (I'm Filipino.)

Is it this one by Viktor Konnov?

I am currently doing the same type in 120mm. Can't say the company name yet.

I don't know if my 90mm Onin War ashigaru for Miniature Alliance is still available.
http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/figures_kits_folder/Miniature_alliance/min_9003.html

I believe my 120mm mounted samurai from defunct Fort Duquesne is no longer avalilable:

I am doing the entire 28mm Sengoku period line for Kingsford Miniatures:
http://www.kingsfordminiatures.org/samurai.html
http://www.kingsfordminiatures.org/samurai2.html

I have a photo of a Hojo ashigaru armour, glossy black with red Hojo mon on the breastplate. I 'reconstructed' a Hojo ashigaru in this armour in a color plate and was surprised of how striking the appearance was.

I have seen Hojo armour in black, brown and red.

Regards, Emmanuel

Last edited by evalerio on Sat May 19, 2007 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Harhad
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice work Filipino ! Respect !

Yes , its Victor Konnov's in 54mm scale.It is my favourite one =) ... but I think I won't touch it with a glossy vanish.Its not my style Smile
evalerio
Karou
Karou
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, Chris

If you like Hojo and red...

The Hojo had 'color regiments' corresponding to the five lucky colors.

Hojo Tsunataka commanded the 'Red regiment' from Tamanawa castle. Their banners in red with the Hojo mon in gold(?) or white.

Regards, Emmanuel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: