Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Adult vs. Child's Kabuto
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgd99
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so if anyone is out there and can chime in here.

The first photo shows the part of the fukigaeshi with the mon. This is matched to the maezashi but this first part of the fuki' is not part of the first lame. It is a separate piece.

The second part of the fuki' (with the lacing) looks like it is part of the first lame, but in the picture you can see a long crack in the lacquer. I cannot tell if this is just a srack or if it a crack over a joint (that might join the second part of the fuki to the first lame.) In effect, I am not positive that either part of the fukigaeshi are a complete unit with the shikoro (is the shikoro from a later date or from a different helmet).

Favoring the chance that the second (laced) wing of the fujli is a definite complete unit with the shikoro is that the lacing is consistent to the rest of the shikoro.

Having not looked into many kabuto, I don't know if the mountings for the shikoro or tehen look original or are from repairs.

The two closely spaced holes that repeat around the rim of the hachi.......I don't know if that is to attach the partially pulled back uchi-bari or if they are origianl attachment holes for the shikoro. I believe they are for sewing in the cap.

Those are my thoughts on it. I will still talk to the Met about the who/how about getting this evaluated formally, but these are my interest points.

Thanks

Mark
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My .02 cent assessment.

Quote:
I am trying to learn if the mountings look original on the shikoro(I believe they are) where they attach to the hachi and fukigaesgi. The mons look original to the piece to me. They are Chamoni. They were originally thought to be Tachibani, but were misread by the dealer.

The mountings as well as the mon do look original as does the lacing on the shikoro. However, there is a very high likelihood that the lacing is a replacement.

Quote:
The Lacquer is unmarred on the hachi. Don't know if it was redone at some point. I was led to believe all parts are original to the piece but uncertain on the maedate.

It’s almost impossible to tell if the lacquer was reapplied by photos (especially the pictures you posted), but periodic restoration and/or maintenance of armor was common and routine. Just like soldiers today are expected to maintain their equipment for optimal performance, the samurai would also be expected to keep armor and weapons battle ready. Even today, nihonto togishi (polishers) continue the discipline, tradition and art of weapon maintenance as their forefathers did 300 years ago. So it is my guess in this particular case is that the lacquer probably has undergone some maintenance.

Quote:
It was represented as Late Momo to Early Edo.

I concur that your kabuto is consistent with Momoyama/Early Edo Period examples that I have seen.

Quote:
The second part of the fuki' (with the lacing) looks like it is part of the first lame, but in the picture you can see a long crack in the lacquer. I cannot tell if this is just a srack or if it a crack over a joint (that might join the second part of the fuki to the first lame.) In effect, I am not positive that either part of the fukigaeshi are a complete unit with the shikoro (is the shikoro from a later date or from a different helmet).

To me, the crack looks like a stress fracture at a logical point where the metal/lacquer would be at its weakest. I have heard of some kabuto, especially during the warring states period, having detachable fukigaeshi, but this doesn’t look like such an example.

Quote:
Favoring the chance that the second (laced) wing of the fujli is a definite complete unit with the shikoro is that the lacing is consistent to the rest of the shikoro.

The two closely spaced holes that repeat around the rim of the hachi.......I don't know if that is to attach the partially pulled back uchi-bari or if they are origianl attachment holes for the shikoro. I believe they are for sewing in the cap.

More than likely they are mounting points for the uchibari.
mgd99
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Sounds very reasoned and reasonable.

My pix did stink. I shot in room light and hand held just to quickly get some shots up.

I appreciate the insights.

These are remarkable items to own, there are some beautiful items out there.

M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: