Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Third Annual Samurai Fiction Contest
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Third Annual Samurai Fiction Contest Reply with quote
I am in the preparation stages for the rules, regs, and parameters for the third annual Samurai Fiction contest.

Here is some information:

This time around I will expand the number of genres available, however this time I will make them more strict. Previously, the "Historical Fiction" section was the only genre with any real "rules" for how it was to be done. This time around, to make it fair, I will add one or two requirements per genre.

Also, this time the entry fee will be on a sliding time scale - that not might be a "real" English phrase, so let me explain:

If you sign up for the contest between now and September 15th, 2006, the fee will be $7.

If you sign up for the contest between September 16th and December 31st, 2006 the fee will be $10.

If you sign up for the contest between January 1st and the deadline of March 31st, 2007 the fee will be $15.

So, hopefuly it will encourage the procrastinators to sign up and start writing early. As before, the winner of the contest will win the entire pot minus 5% to cover paypal fees, and this year, if we can get over 10 entries, I will throw in some of my own money for the winner (depending if there is a strike where I work or not Whatever - so as soon as I decide how much, I'll let you know.) I am still debating how much, but it may be substantial.

If you want to join, PayPal the registration fee (currently $7) to webmaster @ samurai-archives.com - as always, please list with your paypal payment along with your name, as many of the following as applicable: Your Yahoo ID, your Delphi Forums ID (even if that forum is no longer really in use) and your Samurai Archives Citadel ID. This is so that I can keep easy track of who has entered.

The entry fee is non-refundable unless there is no contest. But there will be a contest.

If anyone knows they will not enter, but wants to judge, let me know. If you sign up as judge now, but eventually decide to enter, that's fine, too. You'll be removed from the judges circle to enter into the contest. Like always, I won't be judging, since I will be the one receiving the stories. I will just moderate the proceedings.

Feel free to reply to this post with questions, etc.

I will keep updating as things progress.

Last edited by kitsuno on Wed May 09, 2007 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kitsuno. PM sent on the matter. Please reply with you instructions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
More info on the contest - I'm still working on the overall rules and regs - If anyone would like to give me ideas or advice on how to make the contest "better", or "more fair", or anything, particularly how I should handle genres this time around, post it here.

Also, FOR EVERY 5 ENTRANTS, I WILL ADD $50 TO THE FINAL PRIZE.

Got that?

Let me repeat: FOR EVERY 5 ENTRANTS, I WILL ADD $50 TO THE FINAL PRIZE.

So try to get as many people to sign up as you can. Also, remember: The sooner you sign up, the cheaper the entry fee.

Also, I am considering splitting the winnings 80/20 with the runner up, but I have to think about that.

Feel free to post questions, comments, or ideas here.
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: subscriptions Reply with quote
C'mon people. Now is cheeper and i've registered... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am trying to decide what to do this year with genres. I don't want to restrict it to only historical fiction, because that would eliminate a lot of potential entries. What genres from what is listed here on the last Samurai fiction contest should be eliminated, and what genres do you think should be added in?
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno,

I figure that Horror and Ghost Story could be combined into the same genre. Also, for the more artisticly inclined among us, a Manga genre might be an interesting addition.
Are you still going to keep the late 19th century limitation?

Peace,

Matt
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
I figure that Horror and Ghost Story could be combined into the same genre.

I have thought about that, and they could be combined, but the Japanese "Ghost Story" isn't always horror, and it is always themed with betrayal or revenge. So you could say you could have a ghost story that incorporates horror, but the "real" ghost story genre in Japan is very specific.

msr.iaidoka wrote:
Also, for the more artisticly inclined among us, a Manga genre might be an interesting addition.

I admit that would be interesting, but that would be a completely different contest.

msr.iaidoka wrote:
Are you still going to keep the late 19th century limitation?

Definately, no "modern sammyrai" here.
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno,

Good point about the ghost stories, my Western mind often forgets the little things. Smile
About the "modern sammyrai," wouldn't genres like sci-fi and cross-over lead to such things or is it that the settings have to be Bakumatsu or earlier?

Peace,

Matt
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:

About the "modern sammyrai," wouldn't genres like sci-fi and cross-over lead to such things or is it that the settings have to be Bakumatsu or earlier?

Not necessarily, that's what time travel or things like Wild Wild West are for. So it will stay bakumatsu or earlier.
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno,

Understood. Thank you much. Smile

Peace,

Matt
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe that there should be a clarification about whether a writer can write "sequels" or stories that feature characters that had been in earlier stories. I would agree that a story should be COMPLETELY independant, not at all dependant upon reading a previous contest story.

But should entrants be forbidden from writing stories that feature characters from any previous contest stories? This should be clarified.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wave Tossed wrote:
I believe that there should be a clarification about whether a writer can write "sequels" or stories that feature characters that had been in earlier stories. I would agree that a story should be COMPLETELY independant, not at all dependant upon reading a previous contest story.

But should entrants be forbidden from writing stories that feature characters from any previous contest stories? This should be clarified.

That's a tough one, because even a completely seperate story could be construed as a sequel based on the characters alone... Maybe if you write the story you want, but change the characters names...?

Does anyone have any thoughts? (particularly the judges?)
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Wave Tossed wrote:

That's a tough one, because even a completely seperate story could be construed as a sequel based on the characters alone... Maybe if you write the story you want, but change the characters names...?

Changing the characters' names would work in categories such as "horror" or "ghost stories" or "pulp fiction." But if you write historical fiction, based upon real events and/or real historical personages, then that's just about impossible.

Really, this should be clarified. Either you can write stories featuring further adventures of given characters from a previous story -- assuming that the new story is entirely independant. Or else writing such stories should be explicitly banned, resulting in a disqualification.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:

While I have no problem with recurring characters, it's a sad fact that 90% of sequels or thereabouts are inferior to the original. This comes from authors (and readers, too) falling in love with their creations. They seem to focus more on the character and less on the story, which can really be harmful in a short story format. While stories that have character development and evolution as their goals are fine, all too often it falls into the same players doing the same thing over and over (like Star Trek, pulp novels, and Zatoichi films-great for quick entertainment, but you get the feeling you've already seen it a million times).
So, in my opinion, having recurring characters is fine as long as the authors realize that they had better make sure there's a point to the second or third installments.
Mencius
Ninja
Ninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really should take part in this some time. But I guess I'm just too lazy to write and too cheap to pay. Just Kidding

Last edited by Mencius on Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very good point about historical fiction needing the same names. As "moderator" of the judges, here is my final decision (pending input from the community here)

Sequels that are a continuation of events from a previous story OR stories that don't follow the "short story" format, stories that seem to just be a part of a larger story, are forbidden. However, compact focused short stories that use the same characters as a previous story are OK, as long as it is a completely seperate story, AND feels like a complete short story.

Still somewhat vague, but if I am going to allow the same characters to be used over and over, that is the best I can do. I will be certain to point out to the judges that even if they are reading a story with the same characters as have been presented before, to pay special attention to the overall plot and format, rather than just focus on the fact that it is the same characters.

But, in using the same characters, you may be setting up judges for an unconcious bias - but again, there will be judges this year who didn't participate last year.

Also, again:

Anyone interested in judging, PM me.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are some very good tips for writing short stories - I'll probably incorporate some of this into the "rules" of the contest, so all potential writers should take a look:

http://www.write101.com/shortstory.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_3337_write-short-story.html

If anyone has any other or better short story links, feel free to post them.
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Very good point about historical fiction needing the same names. As "moderator" of the judges, here is my final decision (pending input from the community here)

Sequels that are a continuation of events from a previous story OR stories that don't follow the "short story" format, stories that seem to just be a part of a larger story, are forbidden. However, compact focused short stories that use the same characters as a previous story are OK, as long as it is a completely seperate story, AND feels like a complete short story.

Still somewhat vague, but if I am going to allow the same characters to be used over and over, that is the best I can do. I will be certain to point out to the judges that even if they are reading a story with the same characters as have been presented before, to pay special attention to the overall plot and format, rather than just focus on the fact that it is the same characters.

But, in using the same characters, you may be setting up judges for an unconcious bias - but again, there will be judges this year who didn't participate last year.

Also, again:

Anyone interested in judging, PM me.
This makes sense. I think you should put a condensed version of what you wrote above in the rules.

Now I've got to get entered. So I can begin on my "Fuwa Kazuemon Meets Captain Kirk" story. Just Kidding
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still working on the official webpage for the 2007 Samurai Fiction contest, it should be up by the end of the week - keep in mind that the fee is currently $5, but will bump up to $7 on 9/15/06.

EDIT: Sorry, that is supposed to be $7, up to $10 on 9/16/06.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is the URL for the 2007 Samurai Fiction contest:
http://www.samurai-archives.com/writcon2.html
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now I've entered! Very Happy Very Happy Cool

Now I have to come up with a story. Don't worry, it won't be "Fuwa Kazuemon Meets Captain Kirk." Just Kidding
Tsubame1
Hida no Kami
Hida no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Already enroled. Likely I was the first one... Cool

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As of September 15th, the entry fee is now $10 - and will stay there until December 31st. If you sign up for the contest between January 1st and the deadline of March 31st, 2007 the fee will be $15.

The more people who sign up, the bigger the winnings - and like I said, for every 5 entries, I'll throw in an extra $50.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's see... Maikeru, Nagaeyari, and Tatsunoshi still need to sign up - golden opportunity to make some cold hard cash Wink
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Let's see... Maikeru, Nagaeyari, and Tatsunoshi still need to sign up - golden opportunity to make some cold hard cash Wink

Well, I'm a judge so I'll pass...although I'm sure everyone's dying to read my epic short story involving samurai daimyo in Nehan...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Oshirase All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: