Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Koryu Nabeshima han

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mayumi hokao
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Koryu Nabeshima han Reply with quote
Dear all

I'm looking for info on the Shingetsu muso yanagi ryu and related arts. Also arts that would have been neobours so Ise jitoku ryu, muso shindo ryu, kage ryu, oishi kage ryu, sosuishitsu ryu (Saga, fukuoka, Nagasaki)

Were they nabeshima han otome ryu?
What does is consist of?
Is there anything that can be compared to it?
What does it focus on?
Kogusoku
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nabeshima-han's Otome-ryu was indeed Shingetsu Muso Yanagi-ryu (心月夢想柳流 ). Shingetsu Muso Yanagi-ryu was a ryuha that was an amalgamation of Hontai Takagi Yoshin-ryu jujutsu, Kukishin-ryu hyoho, Shinkage-ryu kenjutsu and Akiyama Yoshin-ryu jujutsu.

Shingetsu Muso Yanagi-ryu was founded by Iwanaga Ichiryusai (岩永一柳斎 ) a Nabeshima-han Goshi (郷士 - Similar to a Yeoman, a low ranking bushi), who after studying various bugei ryuha and embarking on musha-shugyo (warrior's pilgrimage.) developed his own system in Horeki Year 3 (1754).

The ryuha's martial syllabus includes jujutsu, iaijutsu, kenjutsu, naginatajutsu, kusarigamajutsu, sojutsu and juttejutsu)

The last line of this ryuha is now being practiced in Hyogo-Prefecture.

Hope this helps.

What is it exactly that you want to know about these other kyushu bugei ryuha?

S.Delaney
mayumi hokao
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the info, I would love to see the ryu moving in action.

My family are originally from Saga ken (i've been living abroad since early teens due to parents works) and I am begining to get an interest in Koryu so I would love to learn from a ryu developed in the area.

I found Kage ryu and ise jitoku which are still around as well as sousushitsu ryu. (I think?) It interests me to think of which ryu moved in and out of Saga back then, through the karatsu han, the nabeshima han, kuroda han and what is still left now.

Shin getsu muso Yanagi ryu looks like it has a big teaching, i hope to see it one day and even begin training.

If you have any more info I would be most grateful

Yours sincerley

Mayumi
Kogusoku
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ise Jitoku Tenshin-ryu (伊勢自得天真流 ) is still taught in Fukuoka-Prefecture, near Hakata. It used to have a syllabus of kenjutsu and other weapons, but now mainly teach just jujutsu.

Sosuishi-ryu (双水執流 ) is taught in Fukuoka and in Tokyo, there are at the moment three different lines. There are also several shibu in the United States, Australia, Europe and the UK. Sosuishi-ryu teaches kumi-uchi (jujutsu) and koshi no mawari (iaijutsu).

Kage-ryu is as far as I know still taught in Kyushu. They teach Choken Battojutsu (長剣抜刀術 ). They have a shibu dojo in the Phillipine Islands.

S.Delaney
mayumi hokao
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dear Delaney

Thanks again, I looked at some of the ryuha involved in the creation of Shingetsu muso yanagi ryu and they all seem very interesting.

And I see there are maybe connections between them also, Kukishin and takagi, the Yoshins. Have the arts remained seperate or did the founder blend them to a composite/sougou form?

It would be interesting to see what was in Saga prior to Yanagi ryus development? And Ise Jitoku has quite an interesting iai section.

I am looking forward to one day know this ryu.
Thank you for all your advice.

mAyumi
Kogusoku
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mayumi hokao wrote:

And I see there are maybe connections between them also, Kukishin and takagi, the Yoshins. Have the arts remained seperate or did the founder blend them to a composite/sougou form?

Yes, that's correct, Iwanaga Ichiryusai blended them according to his own preferences and beliefs based on life experience. Most of these experiences were presumably from his Musha-Shugyo.

Quote:
And Ise Jitoku has quite an interesting iai section.

Yes, but the jujutsu and iai are taught in different lines. The disciplines have been seperated via groups in Fukuoka.

S.Delaney
mayumi hokao
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dear Mr Delaney

Sorry I have been away for some time working, I have looked at the founding ryus only on the web (so perhaps not such a good place) and saw how hands practical they are, I really am excited about shin getsu muso yanagi ryu as it is a blend of these other arts,which all seem very focussed, which really interests me as well as it being held in the nabeshima family.

I would love to begin training in it.

Do the Nabeshima family still do it, know of it?

Also How would be the best way to see this ryu?

Thank you for your time

Mayumi
Kogusoku
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mayumi hokao wrote:
Do the Nabeshima family still do it, know of it?

No, it is not trained by the Nabeshima family.

At present it is only being taught in Hyogo-Prefecture.

mayumi hokao wrote:
Also How would be the best way to see this ryu?

The best way of seeing this ryuha would be at the Nihon Budokan yearly Kobudo Taikai. The taikai is run by the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai and is funded by the monbusho. It is usually held at the February of each year, but it is never certain who is going to demonstrate as the members of the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai demonstrate in a rote system.

If you aren't in Japan, another avenue is a DVD showcasing the ryuha you can buy from BAB Japan. They sell the Nihon No Kobudo video series which was produced by the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai.

Hope this helps.

S.Delaney
mayumi hokao
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your patinece and thoughts.

Before I rush off to Japan In Febuary or buy the DVD I just have one more question, do you know this ryuhas ways? objectives? Not sure what words to use here. Ie Aikido blends with opponants force, and may be light and flowwing some ryus are very attack orrientated with deep stances, some are attack and stealth, some control through terror.

I know this is a big question and one which is very difficult to answer until study perhaps. But I just wondered.

This will be my last question on the Nabeshima Otome ryu. And again Thank you so much for your time

Mayumi
Kogusoku
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
mayumi hokao wrote:
Thank you so much for your patinece and thoughts.

Before I rush off to Japan In Febuary or buy the DVD I just have one more question, do you know this ryuhas ways? objectives? Not sure what words to use here. Ie Aikido blends with opponants force, and may be light and flowwing some ryus are very attack orrientated with deep stances, some are attack and stealth, some control through terror.

It's a sogo-bujutsu. A comprehensive system of military arts.

If you haven't a prior grounding in budo. Do some before persuing a koryu to get some foundation knowledge. A number of koryu schools require students to have some prior knowledge.

S.Delaney
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: