Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Eguchi no Kimi - related to the Minamoto?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Eguchi no Kimi - related to the Minamoto? Reply with quote
Is anyone here familiar with the story of Eguchi no kimi?

She was a 12th century courtesan based at a rural inn, or according to some versions of the story, simply the innkeeper's daughter; the now-famous monk Saigyo stayed at the inn one night, as he was looking for somewhere to stay as he made his way towards Tennoji, and according to some versions of the story, slept with her.

The following morning, he awakes to discover that she was in fact the bodhisattva Fugen.. there's a Noh play, and a whole bunch of ukiyo-e and other stuff derived from this story, tying into the themes of courtesan & pleasure district as monk and temple. Enlightenment through pleasure; disconnection from the everyday world and everyday worries, whether it be through meditation and prayer at a temple, or through activities in the pleasure district.

But here's the real point of this post: I am currently reading a book on early Okinawan history which claims that this same Eguchi was the mother of Minamoto no Tametomo.

Does anyone know anything about this? Seems bizarre to me that a courtesan from the provinces who figures in Saigyo Monogatari should also happen to have become involved with a major samurai leader such as Minamoto no Tameyoshi, giving birth to Tametomo.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
How does the history claim that the two are the same? Blatantly, or does it simply mention Eguchi twice? Also, what's the source?

I ask because we seem to have a simple given name (Eguchi) with an honorific (no kimi). For one, I don't see calling 'Eguchi, the innkeeper's daughter' Eguchi no kimi. Now, if Saikyo was staying at a person's house and that has later been transmuted to an inn because that is the familiar modern concept, I could probably understand that.

Otherwise it seems to me that Eguchi, here, would just be a given name, and someone has lumped stories about two people named Eguchi into the same character. Without knowing the source better, though, it is hard to say.

-Josh
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The source for the original story of Eguchi and Saigyo is called "http://park.org/Japan/Hitachi/nippon/saigyo_e/main.html". The story section in question takes place in the Eguchi region of Settsu province, hence Eguchi is a place name (i.e. lady of Eguchi), not a given name.

As for the source I am currently reading, in which she appears as Tameyoshi's lover and Tametomo's mother, it is the first in a series of books on the royal dynasty of Okinawa, entitled 『新琉球王統史:舜天・英祖」。The connection is that Ryukyuan historical legends claim that Shunten, the first king of Okinawa, was the son of Tametomo, a claim which is highly doubted by historians today and frequently dismissed as an attempt by the 17th century writers of the histories to justify Ryukyu's links to Japan.

In any case, the actual text in question is as follows:
「その為義が江口の君(大阪淀川方面の遊女)に産ませた子が、為朝です。」

She doesn't appear otherwise; I'd be happy to provide more of the surrounding sentences, but I do not believe they would illuminate anything further.

Thanks.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, that makes more sense. I should have realized it, considering how rare women's given names are.

Looking up some quick online sources, I see that Eguchi was apparently a prosperous town on the Yodogawa. I see two real possibilities:

1) Eguchi no kimi was the daughter of a prosperous family in Eguchi and married off to Tameyoshi, and at one point Saigyo did stay at her family's residence and traded poetry with her. That she is later turned into a 'harlot' by Zeami could be nothing more than poetic license when her relationship to Tameyoshi and Tametomo was no longer understood and she was just known as a 'lady of Eguchi'.

2) Tameyoshi married a 'lady of Eguchi'. Saigyo traded poems with a 'lady of Eguchi'. There is no relation between the two (as if I were to say that I married a lady of Newport News, and a lady of Newport News is married to a lawyer--that doesn't mean I'm a lawyer).

I don't see anything in the quoted text to imply that the two women are the same, so I would tend to go with answer #2. In fact, the more I look at stuff online, the more I tend to believe that. Here's a work with Zeami's version of "Eguchi", translated into English, that may be of interest:

http://books.google.com/books?id=t4QEbb8Nnq4C&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=Kan'ami+eguchi&source=web&ots=6_3CSuhzre&sig=ijdS81nymSXOblpyKSYLu_No3Eo#PPA73,M1

-Josh
MexSamurai
Page
Page
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Minamoto no Tametomo Reply with quote
lordameth

Hmm.. not sure about Eguchi no Kimi if related to the Minamoto. But I knew some all about Minamoto no Tametomo. You mentioned of Okinawa, that made me recall of Tametomo have been exile to Okinawa.
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MexSamurai wrote:
You mentioned of Okinawa, that made me recall of Tametomo have been exile to Okinawa.

May have been. Which is precisely where his connection to the book I'm currently reading comes in.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just finished reading Hogen Monogatari--and then I loaned it out to a friend. I didn't think it was Okinawa that Tametomo was exiled to, but it is Oshima, off of the Izu penninsula. According to HM he twists the wording of the exile into an imperial decree to take over the island and ones near it, including 'Devil's Island'--a land of tall, uncultured, hairy barbarians (at least as they are described in HM) who are supposedly descended from Devils. It doesn't really fit going all the way to the Ryukyu islands, though. If that happened, it probably would have been when his wife fled with two of his sons, so he couldn't kill them when he committed seppuku.

-Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: