Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Sengoku Jieitai imjin senso version .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Sengoku Jieitai imjin senso version . Reply with quote
2005 must have been a bumper year for this story ,first the film than the tv Sekigahara Version but this korean take seems the most interesting .

HEAVENS SOLDIERS
Its somewhat of a dark comedy as a group of south korean soldiers are racing to get a nuke before the north only to encounter a comet and back to 1592 we go .
Hideyoshi's Invasion is underway and the modern day soldiers decide to go find Admiral Yi Soon Shin only to find he is a complete idiot who has constantly flunked the civil service exam ...So what will they do ???

I have not seen it but the i.m.d,b. (not that thats a recommendation )and twitch film have given it good reviews and it did well in Europe .
It is on R 3 DVD w/Eng Subs as well as a Uk dvd also .
I am sort of hit and miss on Korean Films some good others not so ,but i have been impressed by their historical dramas at least the Koguryo and Silla period ones .They have really good production values so this may be worth a gamble or at least get the VCD first and see if its any good .
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, Lemon-I'd missed this one, but just picked it up. With our Imjin War study group going on, this makes a perfect entertainment companion to it.
MexSamurai
Page
Page
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HEAVENS SOLDIERS similar to Sengoku Jieitai 1549 (Samurai Commando Mission 1549) and Sengoku jieitai (Time Slip) -GI Samurai such as time travel.

Just in case you hadn't seen that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foOLfNX1JeU
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: YI SOON SHIN Reply with quote
http://www.kbs-america.com/product/eor_list.php

The KBS E store has all 104 episodes of the 2005 "The Immortal Yi Soon Shin "drama for sale at $400 thats quite a chunk of change though ....but the good thing is you can get individual episodes for $6:00 a pop (all the battles !).

I have heard really good things about this it aired on PBS in Chicago and Philly and has amassed a huge cult following ,the clips on you tube look really good .

Of course its going to be very pro korean and even fans of this drama complain the depiction of Konishi is more akin to Kato yet these seem to be minor quibbles as the drama itself seems to have achieved this almost mythic legendary status ,if nothing else the battles look really well done .
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: YI SOON SHIN Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
http://www.kbs-america.com/product/eor_list.php

The KBS E store has all 104 episodes of the 2005 "The Immortal Yi Soon Shin "drama for sale at $400 thats quite a chunk of change though ....but the good thing is you can get individual episodes for $6:00 a pop (all the battles !).

I have heard really good things about this it aired on PBS in Chicago and Philly and has amassed a huge cult following ,the clips on you tube look really good .

Of course its going to be very pro korean and even fans of this drama complain the depiction of Konishi is more akin to Kato yet these seem to be minor quibbles as the drama itself seems to have achieved this almost mythic legendary status ,if nothing else the battles look really well done .

I have downloaded the first 10 episodes, and watched the first episode, it blew me away, it was extremely well done. My only annoyance is with the fact that all of the "japanese" characters speak korean.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Soon Shin Reply with quote
I can live with that ,usually i cant stand things like that but from all the clips on you tube and the huge cult following it as ,i think im going to have to start picking up some episodes .

I know from other Korean Historical Dramas like the 136 episode Dae Jo Young about the fall of Koguryo and rise of the Balhae Kingdom the battles in that are amazing ,they look like big budget films .
Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Brickster's review from Brick's Picks Fer Samurai Flicks:

Heaven’s Soldiers-here’s a Korean effort that steals a page from the Japanese Sengoku Jieitai series (not to mention our show)-unsuspectin’ mooks from the present get shuttled back through time and are thrust into the middle of a historically touchy situation. In this case, it happens to be members of both the North and South Korean armies that were fightin’ over the possession of a nuke co-developed in secret by both countries. When a mysterious comet passes overhead, they’re sent back to 1572 northern Korea and dropped inta the middle of a battle between Jurchen tribesmen from China and the residents of a Korean village. Despite scatterin’ the tribesmen, the group falls afoul of the local law-and the cause of it all is the famous Korean admiral Yi Sun Shin. This is the same man widely regarded as a national hero for havin’ saved Korea from the Japanese invasions of 1592-8. However, this isn’t the heroic Yi they’ve read about in their history books-here, he’s a liar, a thief, and a drug smuggler who has failed the military entrance exam. The soldiers from the future have to deal with rescuin’ their imprisoned comrades, locatin’ the nuke (which as you would expect is activated and on a timer), savin’ the townspeople from the Jurchens, fightin’ amongst each other, and most importantly, keepin’ Yi alive and tryin’ to put him on the path to fulfill his destiny.
All in all, the film ain’t bad. There are only six soldiers (three from each part of Korea) along with the female scientist that helped develop the bomb, and in a budget-conscious measure, no military vehicles or heavy equipment (other than a small raft). This centers the film more on the characters, which it does nicely, and much of the first hour is devoted to comedy (with the funniest sequence involvin’ a Korean Chief Inspector examinin’ a grenade with the prisoners from the future tied up nearby and unable to bolt). The last half hour delivers the dramatic goods, with a huge, well done battle to end all battles between the Jurchens and the Yi/Soldier/Townspeople alliance. You won’t be disappointed with this fight. Ambushes, chargin’ cavalry, explosions, insanely devastatin’ claymores (of the land mine variety), hackin’ swords, witherin’ gunfire, thrustin’ spears, and the old arrow through the head all feature prominently. Some of the future group live, some die, some return to the future, and some stay in the past.
The one area where the film falls somewhat short is that it shows things 20 years before the Japanese invasion-it would have been substantially better had it shown Yi as a flake then. As it is, you’re left with one short sequence at the end in 1598 at Myeongnyang with Yi’s 13 ships facin’ a Japanese fleet of 333 (the Japanese fleet-flyin' the Mori flag-bein’commanded by a guy-presumably Todo Takatora-wearin’armor with Oda Nobunaga’s crest-hoo, boy). Yi gives an inspirational speech to his men, and there’s a nice touch by showin’ the two survivin’ soldiers from the future decked out in traditional Korean armor and actin’ as his generals. But no battle here…just a fade out after the speech.
Not bad at all-there’s a little somethin’ here for everyone, with decent performances and a spectacular battle. However, the limited budget kept it from realizin’its potential.

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So it really has not much at all to do with the Imjin war.

Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:

Nope, not much at all-only insofar as it has Yi in it, and the last couple of minutes showing the speech before the sea battle.

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brick McBurly wrote:
kitsuno wrote:

Nope, not much at all-only insofar as it has Yi in it, and the last couple of minutes showing the speech before the sea battle.

Does it end with "On my signal, unleash hell!"?

Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Brick McBurly wrote:
kitsuno wrote:

Does it end with "On my signal, unleash hell!"?

Well, all those inspirational 'surrounded by evil, low on gas' speeches are pretty much the same, ain't they?

But unlike Gladiator, Yi ends up with somethin' like "Death comes only to those who fear it-charge!"

Personally, at 13 to 333 (if you believe the numbers the Koreans throw out), it should be "Uuuuuhhh...I think I left a pie in the oven. Be right back, guys!"

"On my signal, unleash hell" was actually the end of my opening address at last week's Valentine's Day Hot Tub Party.

Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tinyurl.com/ywsbc7

kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brick McBurly wrote:
'surrounded by evil, low on gas'

Wasn't that the tagline for Evil Dead 2? Laughing

Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Brick McBurly wrote:
'surrounded by evil, low on gas'

Wasn't that the tagline for Evil Dead 2? Laughing

Close..."Army Of Darkness" (aka Evil Dead 3 or Medieval Dead)-"Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: