Register :: Log in :: Profile   


plot ideas

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 870
Location: Southbridge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: plot ideas Reply with quote
I was thinking on some details in my head about a book I am working on publishing. Do you guys think, that if say a high ranking samurai (an administrator, right hand man of a lord etc.) had a son, that wrecked hell (outright killing of samurai) in the lords territory, do you think the father in the end would have to commit seppuku, regardless of his rank(lets also say he is not well liked, so the lord would want him out?

Maikeru
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 1821
Location: 南加州

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
He wrecked Hell? What did he do, kill all the demons? Free all the souls? Make everything happy and pretty?
_________________
My blog on Japanese art & history: http://chaari.wordpress.com

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 9481
Location: Honolulu, HI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordameth wrote:
He wrecked Hell? What did he do, kill all the demons? Free all the souls? Make everything happy and pretty?


Since this is maikeru, I'm pretty sure he just misspelled "wreaked" Laughing
_________________
Shop Amazon.com, support the Samurai Archives: http://amzn.to/wnDX2j

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 870
Location: Southbridge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
lordameth wrote:
He wrecked Hell? What did he do, kill all the demons? Free all the souls? Make everything happy and pretty?


Since this is maikeru, I'm pretty sure he just misspelled "wreaked" Laughing


But I demand my spelling to be overlooked doo tue my survis hear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member



Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 1698
Location: Columbia, Maryland U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's a film with a somewhat similar plot. It's called (in English) THE BETRAYAL. In this film, the heir of the chief retainer of a clan ends up murdering a samurai from the neighboring fief by striking him from the rear. The murdered samurai's brother comes to the fief where the murder took place (he does not know who did it) and demands that the murderer be handed over. The fief's chief retainer (the murderer's father) decides that a cover-up is needed because of the fact that the murderer is his heir. The murderer wasn't the actual heir to the clan's lordship; but he was the chief retainer's heir, which is important enough -- during the Edo period, when the daimyo was on alternate attendance in Edo, it was the chief retainer who was in charge of actually administrating the fief in the lord's absence.

In the film, another samurai is talked into taking the rap for the chief retainer's heir. He naively leaves the fief and he supposedly will be cleared and allowed to eventually return. Needless to say, things don't work out as planned and the murderer arranges for his father to die (under rather mysterious circumstances) and he takes over and Our Hero finds himself permanently on the lam. I'll let everyone watch the film to find out what eventually happens in the film, but you get the general idea.

At any rate, it's quite possible that, in your scenario, the father would try to arrange a cover-up. If his son had killed all of the samurai in the fief, the father might very well be punished by the clan's lord for being a higly incompentent administrator in allowing his son to go on this sort of murder spree. I have serious doubts that the clan's daimyo would allow the son to get much further than one murder or perhaps two at the most. Unless the son were to possess some sort of advanced ninjutsu skills that allowed him to continue unnoticed in his serial killing spree.

If the son were a crazed serial killer who isn't stopped until several murders have taken place, he would likely be decapitated once caught. I believe that his father would also have been punished for having raised such a son. The daimyo then would probably do a cover-up stating that everyone died of "illness" because he would not want the Bakufu authorities to know that a serial killer had operated within his fief -- fiefs have been abolished for a lot less.

If the son has killed only one of his fellow samurai before being caught, the father then might quietly arrange for assassination and then state that the son "died of illness" to protect his own family and position.

Anyway, it might be an interesting story: the study of a samurai serial killer. Is that what you have in mind?
_________________
"Walk the thousand mile road, step by step" -- Miyamoto Musashi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maikeruart
Shushou
Shushou
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 870
Location: Southbridge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wave Tossed wrote:
There's a film with a somewhat similar plot. It's called (in English) THE BETRAYAL. In this film, the heir of the chief retainer of a clan ends up murdering a samurai from the neighboring fief by striking him from the rear. The murdered samurai's brother comes to the fief where the murder took place (he does not know who did it) and demands that the murderer be handed over. The fief's chief retainer (the murderer's father) decides that a cover-up is needed because of the fact that the murderer is his heir. The murderer wasn't the actual heir to the clan's lordship; but he was the chief retainer's heir, which is important enough -- during the Edo period, when the daimyo was on alternate attendance in Edo, it was the chief retainer who was in charge of actually administrating the fief in the lord's absence.

In the film, another samurai is talked into taking the rap for the chief retainer's heir. He naively leaves the fief and he supposedly will be cleared and allowed to eventually return. Needless to say, things don't work out as planned and the murderer arranges for his father to die (under rather mysterious circumstances) and he takes over and Our Hero finds himself permanently on the lam. I'll let everyone watch the film to find out what eventually happens in the film, but you get the general idea.

At any rate, it's quite possible that, in your scenario, the father would try to arrange a cover-up. If his son had killed all of the samurai in the fief, the father might very well be punished by the clan's lord for being a higly incompentent administrator in allowing his son to go on this sort of murder spree. I have serious doubts that the clan's daimyo would allow the son to get much further than one murder or perhaps two at the most. Unless the son were to possess some sort of advanced ninjutsu skills that allowed him to continue unnoticed in his serial killing spree.

If the son were a crazed serial killer who isn't stopped until several murders have taken place, he would likely be decapitated once caught. I believe that his father would also have been punished for having raised such a son. The daimyo then would probably do a cover-up stating that everyone died of "illness" because he would not want the Bakufu authorities to know that a serial killer had operated within his fief -- fiefs have been abolished for a lot less.

If the son has killed only one of his fellow samurai before being caught, the father then might quietly arrange for assassination and then state that the son "died of illness" to protect his own family and position.

Anyway, it might be an interesting story: the study of a samurai serial killer. Is that what you have in mind?


I do not want to discuss key plot points outright but I will PM some ideas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Help the Samurai Archives




alexisRed v1.2 // Theme Created By: Andrew Charron // Samuraized By: Aaron Rister

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group