Register :: Log in :: Profile   

game show question: which battle is it?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: game show question: which battle is it?! Reply with quote
Finally a Japanese game show question that we can all enjoy!

This was taken from the 5/28/2008 showing of ヘキサゴン2クイズパレード.

Besides having all of our favorite geinin (see pic for 小島よしお in back...), you can learn some interesting kanji readings. What's more, you can shake your head at the many television stars that can't read kanji at all in the first place Just Kidding
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sheesh, even if the only thing on there you can read is the year, if you're at this forum you should be able to answer it Just Kidding

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I love watching this show if get home on time to see it on Mondays. It's fun answering nearly all the questions before the geinin can. Laughing It is really sad that so few of them actually know much of anything about their history, but again, it is fun watching them struggle and rack their brains over the most basic questions, such as the one being asked in the photo!

BTW, I think Shiki posted about this show before.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the show last week (I think), the question was "Who established People's Republic of China?" and one of the damnest girl said "Lincoln".
MexSamurai
Page
Page
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
"Lincoln".

Do you mean Abraham Lincoln?
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was actually an obscure and difficult question. Of course, if we are talking about the modern day PRC, sure, Mao would have been the correct answer. But in this case, I do believe the girl answered correctly when she gave the name of Abe Rinkon.

The Abe were low ranking samurai from Satsuma. Abe Rinkon didn't like Hisamitsu's early pro-Bakufu stance and left the han without permission to become a shishi. Abe was instrumental in establishing the short-lived first People's Republic of China(town) in Yokohama. The republic was ruthlessly crushed by a detachment of British marines from the legation in Kanagawa under orders from Sir Harry Parkes. The reason that Britain resorted to armed force was that Abe was fomenting rebellion amongst Britain's colonial subjects. When the Chinese staff serving the British in Yokohama revolted, Parkes simply lost it when he couldn't get his skivvies starched properly.

A couple of years later, when Sakamoto Ryoma drafted his 8 point manifesto on how the post-Tokugawa Japanese government should function, he based his ideas on those of Abe Rinkon.

Abe Rinkon was truly a remarkable Japanese defender of liberty and justice. And now, you know the rest of the story. Good day.

shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MexSamurai wrote:
shikisoku wrote:
"Lincoln".

Yes.
But she didn't know his first name.
MexSamurai
Page
Page
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
MexSamurai wrote:
shikisoku wrote:
"Lincoln".

Yes.
But she didn't know his first name.

Faint Faint Faint
Brick McBurly
外人タレントスーパースター
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
This was actually an obscure and difficult question. Of course, if we are talking about the modern day PRC, sure, Mao would have been the correct answer. But in this case, I do believe the girl answered correctly when she gave the name of Abe Rinkon.

The Abe were low ranking samurai from Satsuma. Abe Rinkon didn't like Hisamitsu's early pro-Bakufu stance and left the han without permission to become a shishi. Abe was instrumental in establishing the short-lived first People's Republic of China(town) in Yokohama. The republic was ruthlessly crushed by a detachment of British marines from the legation in Kanagawa under orders from Sir Harry Parkes. The reason that Britain resorted to armed force was that Abe was fomenting rebellion amongst Britain's colonial subjects. When the Chinese staff serving the British in Yokohama revolted, Parkes simply lost it when he couldn't get his skivvies starched properly.

A couple of years later, when Sakamoto Ryoma drafted his 8 point manifesto on how the post-Tokugawa Japanese government should function, he based his ideas on those of Abe Rinkon.

Abe Rinkon was truly a remarkable Japanese defender of liberty and justice. And now, you know the rest of the story. Good day.

While I think ya got the right idea, I think you've got the wrong answer. The gal was right! As with a lot of Japanese names, look it up in an historical names dictionary and you'll see multiple entries. I think the key word in the question was 'founded'. It just so happens that 'Honest' Abe Rinkon, at one time a humble Edo period ronin turned entrepreneur (havin' been turned out fer sellin' his swords for a nice place settin', and insertin' steak knives in the sword fittin's) founded the People's Republic Of China tableware store in Kyoto during the 1860's. Honest Abe was one of the first people in Japan to embrace the deceitful Western way of doin' business, utilizin' fine print, rapidly spoken sales pitches, and bombastic message boards promisin' huge discounts and savin's over the other dish vendors. He bought cheap Western produced dinner china, and charged full price to the status-conscious denizens of Kyoto. His impact on Japanese society is seen even today-the PRC has continued to florish in an age where other Japanese department stores find themselves having to merge in order to survive. Me and Ko got our wedding china there, and she also regularly picks up cheap stuff to wing my way when she thinks I'm gettin' out of line (meanin' we got a healthy sized dish budget. Me and the lumps on my noggin think we oughta go to paper/styoroam plates, but that ain't eco-friendly enough fer Miss Green Jeans).
I think his obscurity is due to the prejudice against the merchant class by the samurai, who are all anyone wants to talk about even though they were only 6-8% of the population. I mean, think about it-be filthy rich and hold the debt ridden samurai in the palm of your hand, or die a glorious death via junshi? Boy, that's a toughie-I sure could use the thrill of impromptu self-inflicted surgery today, but I think I'll go with the cash instead.

Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
And I'm sure his slogan was "Honest Abe will not be under sold! Truuusssst meeee!" Laughing

Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW-- I found a picture of the Abe Rinkon I wrote about-- the one that fomented a rebellion among the Chinese staff working for the British in Kanagawa and Yokohama. Here it is.

It's kind of weird, but he looks like a cross between Sakamoto Ryoma and the 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. Shocked Is this for real? Confused

MexSamurai
Page
Page
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo-san

Where is a TOP HAT?(which was popularized by Abraham Lincoln during his presidency) OR Smiley in the Hat ??

Laughing
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitsuno wrote:
Sheesh, even if the only thing on there you can read is the year, if you're at this forum you should be able to answer it Just Kidding

LOL! Well, it helps if they can at least get the names, too. Wink

Tony
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mex, you must be thinking of the tate-eboshi of the kuge class. While there is a popular Abe family that was kuge, I don't believe that Rinkon, as a merchant, was part of the same family. Obenjo, can you shed any light on this?

-Josh
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JLBadgley wrote:
Mex, you must be thinking of the tate-eboshi of the kuge class. While there is a popular Abe family that was kuge, I don't believe that Rinkon, as a merchant, was part of the same family. Obenjo, can you shed any light on this?

-Josh

From what I was able to find, Abe Rinkon was from a very low level samurai family. The Abe were definitely not kuge and so poor, owning an eboshi was out of the question. The family’s stipend was so small that they supplemented their income by growing sweet potatoes (Satsuma imo) and making small batches of shōchū.

Abe got his "honest" moniker for one night in April 1861 while drinking with a group of Satsuma samurai, including the likes of the famous swordsman, Nakamura Hanjiro. After consuming many sweet potatoes with his dinner, Abe let a few rip that were most offensive in nature. When Nakamura then menacingly questioned the group, wanting to know who fouled the drinking party, another samurai, Kuroyama Hanpantsu, giggly replied, “The first one who smelt it, dealt it!” Upon hearing that, Nakamura spit his shōchū all over Hanpantsu and then began to beat him with his sensu.

Seeing his friend under attack, Abe stood up and said, “Hanjiro-san, please cease your unwarranted assault on Hanpantsu-kun and listen to what I have to say, for it was me, Abe Rinkon who did it, not Hanpantsu-kun.” And from that moment, Abe proceeded to give what is now known as his famous Imoberg Speech. (Imoberg was the Dutch name for Kagoshima back then.) Here it is:

“Four scores made seven seconds ago, the imo grown by our fathers brought forth in this room an odor conceived originally in the soil of our native Satsuma, and dedicated to the proposition that all imo heads are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great struggle, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived and so dedicated to the ‘Way of the Imo’, can long endure. We will soon meet the butta-kusai gaijin on a great battlefield of war with the enactment of jōi. We must dedicate a portion of our ancestral imo fields, as a final resting place for those spuds who will certainly be peeled in the process. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a larger sense, I shall now announce my intention to travel to Yokohama to foment the spuds of rebellion among those serving the Ingrishu, so that this han, under the cowardly Tokugawa, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the imo, by the imo, for the imo, shall not perish from the earth.”

Upon hearing this, Nakamura Hanjiro burst into tears and stated, “Abe, you are a most honest and righteous man. Go forth on your journey, and may you be successful in your endeavors. Come on, boys! Let’s make a toast to ‘Honest’ Abe!”

Thus a legend was born.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Entertainment All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: