Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Japanese audio books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Japanese audio books Reply with quote
The world of Japanese audio books are now at your fingertips and eardrums!

http://www.koetaba.net/3book/index.html
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
池波正太郎があるじゃん。
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
池波正太郎があるじゃん。

Shocked

Cowa-BUNGA!!

Thanks for that link, Nagaeyari! I hadn't expected to make much use of it, but... Wink

Tony
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone here tell me which others are more modern authors that will have writings/dialogue more suited to the interests of a language learner, such as myself?

寺田寅彦 is definitely a great read (I have some books)/listen, but I need some more comfortable stuff as well.
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know it's a long time since this subject was discussed, and maybe nagaeyari doesn't visit anymore, but I am sure there are others out there with the same problem - intermediate level students who want to read modern Japanese literature. I've recently bought Breaking into Japanese Literature which has free downloads of the stories in it (by Natsume Soseki and Akutagawa Ryunosuke) at www.speaking-japanese.com. Last night I read the first two stories and then listened to them. They are beautifully read and the whole format seems to make them instantly accessible. I also bought Exploring Japanese Literature which has stories by Kawabata, Mishima and Tanizaki, but I haven't started reading that yet. It looks very exciting.
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the idea of koetaba.net, but my (possibly archaic) mp3 player only plays mp3s, and not the RM files that you can download, and I'm not one to really sit at my computer and listen to a story.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I find koetaba.net a bit daunting. My reading comprehension is much better than my listening Sad . I don't really listen to audio books even in English, but I like listening along when I'm reading Japanese, and these stories are short enough to give you a sense of achievement.

There's a forum for discussing the stories in the second book, and one of the things they have talked about is the look of the kanji on the page and why authors choose one particular kanji over another that has the same meaning. I think that's one of the fascinating aspects of reading Japanese (even though it's infuriating when you start with a new author and you have to get used to what seems like a whole new vocabulary Very Happy )
Shisendo
Bridge Guard
Bridge Guard
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
heron wrote:
I've recently bought Breaking into Japanese Literature which has free downloads of the stories in it (by Natsume Soseki and Akutagawa Ryunosuke) at www.speaking-japanese.com. Last night I read the first two stories and then listened to them. They are beautifully read and the whole format seems to make them instantly accessible. I also bought Exploring Japanese Literature which has stories by Kawabata, Mishima and Tanizaki, but I haven't started reading that yet. It looks very exciting.

I have both these books, too. Giles Murray does an excellent job with them. Incidentally, I'm reading Snow Country in the second one right now (the version from Palm of the Hand Stories).

A couple other books with audio support to add to the list are Read Real Japanese Essays, edited by Janet Ashby (not to be confused with Read Real Japanese from the old Power Japanese series) and Read Real Japanese Fiction, edited by Michael Emmerich. Both books are from Kodansha as well.
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Power series Read Real Japanese was one of the first of this kind of book I bought - some time ago now. I really liked it, but can't quite bring myself to reorder, even though the audio would be very useful. Is it on the net or on a CD?

When I get up to Snow Country we can discuss it Very Happy (The Tanizaki and Kawabata stories look very complex.) Did you take a look at the forums?

I try to read contemporary fiction too: at the moment I'm reading Ogawa Yoko's 博士の愛した数式 which I'm enjoying very much, though I'm not sure which is more demanding - the Japanese or the math.Very Happy

I've read a few Murakami novels in Japanese: his style seems really easy to understand, and have just got his book on running and writing in Japanese, having been lent it in English recently. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between the two editions.

And I will take a look at Read Real Japanese Fiction. What else have you been reading?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: