Register :: Log in :: Profile   


Oda Nobunaga Redux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 4554
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


I'm pretty sure that Les has already covered this on his blog somewhere buried in between all the other posts on Okehazama, but the 450th anniversary of the famous battle is rapidly approaching. Laughing

While in Nagoya Station on Thursday, I picked up a flyer advertising the Okehazama Kosenjō Matsuri, which will be held on Sunday, May 16. Additional information can be found by going to the following site. http://okehazama.net/
_________________

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor



Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 1176
Location: El Cajon, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I already know about this! Laughing Mr. Yukio Kajino and his staff are working non-stop at the moment. They have post a link with a reading list of Japanese books related to the battle.

http://okehazama.net/modules/miniamazon/

I have almost the entire collection with an exception of a few books. Earlier this year, I made a donation towards the statues. Unfortunately, I cannot attend due to work. Crying or Very sad
_________________
You'll Never Walk Alone!

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor



Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 1176
Location: El Cajon, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are the two statues Oda Nobunaga/Imagawa Yoshimoto that are on the Arimatsu Okehazama battlefield. The links have some brief information on the two.

http://okehazama.net/modules/battle/ODA_NOBUNAGA.html

http://okehazama.net/modules/battle/IMAGAWA_YOSHIMOTO.html#01
_________________
You'll Never Walk Alone!

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 4554
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


This is brand new and a must for you Nobunaga nuts. I already have my copy. Very Happy
_________________

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 5456
Location: Washington (the one with all the politicians)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hook a brutha up!
_________________
Bring it on, laddie 'Domer
The Sengoku Field Manual Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 4554
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
Hook a brutha up!
How am eye suppoz to hook my bruddah up?

Should I just send it to:

Major Domer
FOB Infidel
Sheeprgreat, Fuzzhewuzhestan


What's your bruddah to do, brah?
_________________

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor



Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 1176
Location: El Cajon, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need to get a hold of that one. Last year I bought the Sengoku Nobunaga Senki. Thanks for the notice Obenjo. I am starting to get real giddy! Laughing
_________________
You'll Never Walk Alone!

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 5456
Location: Washington (the one with all the politicians)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brah...


Just pick it up, I'll get it from you when I get back to Japizzzan next month Cool
_________________
Bring it on, laddie 'Domer
The Sengoku Field Manual Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 4554
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ltdomer98 wrote:
Brah...


Just pick it up, I'll get it from you when I get back to Japizzzan next month Cool



WHAT?!? You're coming back to Japizzzan next month?

Otay, Panky! I'll buy and hold it for you. And Remember, we all salute you for your service as well as for the bad field pasta you've had to eat with the flopping Italians.


_________________

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi


Last edited by Obenjo Kusanosuke on Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
ltdomer98 wrote:
Brah...


Just pick it up, I'll get it from you when I get back to Japizzzan next month Cool



WHAT?!? You're coming back to Japizzzan next month?

Otay, Panky! I'll buy and hold it for you. And Remember, we all salute you for your service as well as for the bad field pasta you've had to eat with the flopping Italians.



I'll be back in Japan next month too for the third time this year but ya don't have to get anything for me Obenjo. Unless you want to? Smile
_________________
http://twitter.com/28loki

Google+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 4554
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
ltdomer98 wrote:
Brah...


Just pick it up, I'll get it from you when I get back to Japizzzan next month Cool



WHAT?!? You're coming back to Japizzzan next month?

Otay, Panky! I'll buy and hold it for you. And Remember, we all salute you for your service as well as for the bad field pasta you've had to eat with the flopping Italians.



I'll be back in Japan next month too for the third time this year but ya don't have to get anything for me Obenjo. Unless you want to? Smile
Don't tempt fate. You may not get what you expect if I was to buy you something. But I do have the perfect new book to recommend for you that you can then use for your blog. I haven't bought it, read it, or anything like that, but judging this book from its cover, it's probably perfect for you! Laughing

_________________

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a question regarding how Nobunaga increased the size of is army between Okehazama and his defeat of the Saito in 1567. At Okehazama, Nobunaga had approximately 3000(?) soldiers in his army. Between 1560 and 1567, Nobunaga increased his power and I assume the size of his armed forces. My question is how did Nobunaga increase the size of his armies between 1560 and 1567 while still remaining within the borders of Owari? Other than allying with Motoyasu, did Nobunaga increase his retainer band from any former Imagawa generals? Also, the SA Wiki states that following Saito Yoshitatsu's death in 1561, Nobunaga bribed away Saito generals. Were these Saito generals and their retainers what caused Nobunaga to increase his forces greatly by 1567 and later by 1568 when he marched on Kyoto?
_________________
http://twitter.com/28loki

Google+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor



Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 4923
Location: 京都日本 Cincinnati, OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:
I have a question regarding how Nobunaga increased the size of is army between Okehazama and his defeat of the Saito in 1567. At Okehazama, Nobunaga had approximately 3000(?) soldiers in his army. Between 1560 and 1567, Nobunaga increased his power and I assume the size of his armed forces. My question is how did Nobunaga increase the size of his armies between 1560 and 1567 while still remaining within the borders of Owari? Other than allying with Motoyasu, did Nobunaga increase his retainer band from any former Imagawa generals? Also, the SA Wiki states that following Saito Yoshitatsu's death in 1561, Nobunaga bribed away Saito generals. Were these Saito generals and their retainers what caused Nobunaga to increase his forces greatly by 1567 and later by 1568 when he marched on Kyoto?


I'd say a lot of it was just the fact that after Nobunaga managed to 'unify' Owari, it took years to consolidate his hold over the territory of former enemies. It probably took a while for many of his former enemies to want to throw in their lot with him. It also gave him a chance to stabilize Owari's economy, both in his original territories and the ones he acquired later. Oda's economic policies are often overlooked (much as he's usually overrated militarily), but he was quite brilliant in this area. Consolidating his hold over Owari and getting the economy to run smoothly gave him more funds with which to finance his army. In effect, the soldiers were already there-but you need money to pay them, something he didn't always have enough of when the province was fractured. Oda also seemed early on the value that full time ashigaru were to have in the coming years, and progressively recruited more and more of them as the decade wore on. And you could hire a lot more ashigaru for the same amount of money than you could samurai.

The extra troops from Mino helped, but the real help they provided were the bases they brought over to the Oda that at the same time were denied to the Saito.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you Tatsu. Your explanation was perfect and really clarified the situation for me. I do recall reading how Nobunaga utilized the ashigaru and especially in regards to full-time ashigaru. But I did not fully realize how improving the economics and expanding his wealth allowed him to hire more soldiers by compensating them well . Previously I had been thinking that the primary way Nobunaga increased his military manpower was through conquering other daimyo and incorporating the defeated samurai into his armies but that happened more after 1568 I believe.
_________________
http://twitter.com/28loki

Google+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor



Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 1176
Location: El Cajon, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just bought my copy of the magazine while in Japan (Nobunaga no tatakai) Obenjo. The color computer graphics were cool. Very Happy
_________________
You'll Never Walk Alone!

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 4554
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A brand new and updated second edition of 織田信長家臣人名辞典第 by 谷口克広 was just released in Japan covering 1,458 vassals of Oda Nobunaga. I had given up hope recently of finding a used version of the original at a reasonable price, so was tickled with delight to see a new edition on the store's shelf. However, be warned! The new edition sells for 7,500 yen. Not cheap!

Kitsuno, I know you were also looking for this. You can order it through Amazon.co.jp.
_________________

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor



Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 4923
Location: 京都日本 Cincinnati, OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
...covering 1,458 vassals of Oda Nobunaga


Shocked

Talk about the last word in detail!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 9481
Location: Honolulu, HI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow... I've got to control myself for the moment, getting ready to move into a completely unfurnished place, so I guess I have to get a bed and sofa first Mad
_________________
Shop Amazon.com, support the Samurai Archives: http://amzn.to/wnDX2j

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor



Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 1176
Location: El Cajon, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
While in Japan last month, I was able to buy Taniguchi Katsuhiro's book Owari Oda Ichizoku. A great book in my opinion covering the Oda family.
_________________
You'll Never Walk Alone!

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
A brand new and updated second edition of 織田信長家臣人名辞典第 by 谷口克広 was just released in Japan covering 1,458 vassals of Oda Nobunaga. I had given up hope recently of finding a used version of the original at a reasonable price, so was tickled with delight to see a new edition on the store's shelf. However, be warned! The new edition sells for 7,500 yen. Not cheap!

Kitsuno, I know you were also looking for this. You can order it through Amazon.co.jp.


How much detail is provided on the 1,458 vassals? that is just awesome to have such a resource on that many Nobunaga vassals. I would love to learn about all of them but alas I am broke and I do not read Japanese. You are very lucky Obenjo.
_________________
http://twitter.com/28loki

Google+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor



Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 1176
Location: El Cajon, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is a great link for those of you traveling to the Nagoya area. The Nobunaga walking tour.


http://www.nobunagawalking.ncvb.or.jp/

I did pick the pamphlet last month while in Japan. Way too cool. Enjoy. Very Happy
_________________
You'll Never Walk Alone!

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member



Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 2638
Location: 天領 Tama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nobunari's Atsumori
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0Fq7FserQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drakken
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member



Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 164
Location: Montreal, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
Nobunari's Atsumori
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0Fq7FserQ


You know, seeing Oda Nobunaga's descendent really perform an Atsumori dance on ice would be so awesome. Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drakken
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member



Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 164
Location: Montreal, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:
Thank you Tatsu. Your explanation was perfect and really clarified the situation for me. I do recall reading how Nobunaga utilized the ashigaru and especially in regards to full-time ashigaru. But I did not fully realize how improving the economics and expanding his wealth allowed him to hire more soldiers by compensating them well . Previously I had been thinking that the primary way Nobunaga increased his military manpower was through conquering other daimyo and incorporating the defeated samurai into his armies but that happened more after 1568 I believe.


IIRC, Nobunaga is the first one to build his army around a professional, year-round mobilized army. Owari and Mino are among the most fertile provinces in Japan, plus these are also part of two mains roads between the Kantô and Kyoto, so with peace and the buidling of market towns come a sharp increase in wealth which allows, if not to hire more, to pay more to keep them year round.

On the other hand, high command positions were notoriously concentrated in the hands of people from Mino/Owari. As Lamers points out in Japonius Tyrannus, while Nobunaga was very generously hiring back the vassal bands of the lords he beaten or destroyed and allowing them to keep their local holdings and even sometimes give out more from outside their provinces, and thus provide manpower for the lower and middle echelon of his army, he was extremely thrift in allowing samurai from outside Owari and Mino to be his top commanders, or part of his "Horse Guards" retinue. These were almost all men from Owari or big wig vassals from Mino.

Lamers mentions that only three direct vassals of Nobunaga were serving outside Owari or Mino before being hired by Nobunaga: Akechi Mitsuhide, Araki Munishige, and Hosokawa Fujitaka. And in Mitsuhide's case, there is a possibility that his his Toki lineage, thus coming from Mino himself, played in his favour.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Drakken wrote:
Tornadoes28 wrote:
Thank you Tatsu. Your explanation was perfect and really clarified the situation for me. I do recall reading how Nobunaga utilized the ashigaru and especially in regards to full-time ashigaru. But I did not fully realize how improving the economics and expanding his wealth allowed him to hire more soldiers by compensating them well . Previously I had been thinking that the primary way Nobunaga increased his military manpower was through conquering other daimyo and incorporating the defeated samurai into his armies but that happened more after 1568 I believe.


IIRC, Nobunaga is the first one to build his army around a professional, year-round mobilized army. Owari and Mino are among the most fertile provinces in Japan, plus these are also part of two mains roads between the Kantô and Kyoto, so with peace and the buidling of market towns come a sharp increase in wealth which allows, if not to hire more, to pay more to keep them year round.

On the other hand, high command positions were notoriously concentrated in the hands of people from Mino/Owari. As Lamers points out in Japonius Tyrannus, while Nobunaga was very generously hiring back the vassal bands of the lords he beaten or destroyed and allowing them to keep their local holdings and even sometimes give out more from outside their provinces, and thus provide manpower for the lower and middle echelon of his army, he was extremely thrift in allowing samurai from outside Owari and Mino to be his top commanders, or part of his "Horse Guards" retinue. These were almost all men from Owari or big wig vassals from Mino.

Lamers mentions that only three direct vassals of Nobunaga were serving outside Owari or Mino before being hired by Nobunaga: Akechi Mitsuhide, Araki Munishige, and Hosokawa Fujitaka. And in Mitsuhide's case, there is a possibility that his his Toki lineage, thus coming from Mino himself, played in his favour.


Thank you Drakken. I do recall reading that from Lamers. That is by far my favorite Japanese history book. I've read it twice already and I think it is time I read it a 3rd time.
_________________
http://twitter.com/28loki

Google+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Help the Samurai Archives




alexisRed v1.2 // Theme Created By: Andrew Charron // Samuraized By: Aaron Rister

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group