Register :: Log in :: Profile   

2010 Taiga drama "Ryoma Den"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: 2010 Taiga drama "Ryoma Den" Reply with quote
2010 Taiga drama is Sakamoto Ryoma "Ryoma Den"

Quote:
2010年度の大河ドラマは『龍馬伝』に決定! 主役は「“大人”の俳優に・・・」
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20080605-00000007-oric-ent.view-000
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sengoku(Furinkazan)2007
Bakumatsu(Atsuhime)2008
Sengoku(Tenchijin)2009
Bakumatsu(Ryoma Den)2010
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
From other source, the main character is Iwasaki Yataro, not Ryoma.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: ryoma den Reply with quote
Oh thats put a damper on things its "Overkill !!!"
as it is Mad Sak was in the Shinsengumi Taiga ,he also will have a major role in Atsuhime and a guest slot in this new 3 year Choshu/Sino /Russo epic .not to be outdone he was in Tokyo Tv's Mibu Gishiden and the 2004 New Years Drama .

Sakamto Ryoma the new Chushingura !!!by 2011 we will be so sick of this guy and the whole Bakumatsu era period .

Still you folks in JP have a real treat coming your way the Korean Drama "THE IMMORTAL YI SOON SHIN will be airing on jp tv this summer .
the sea battles will just astound you ,
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to disagree with you on this one Lemon. I am very much looking forward to this. (As I am sure comes to no surprise to anyone here).

I have been critical of the taiga drama producers choices in the past. I think Atsuhime was not particularly interesting. I think Furinkazan was very overhanded (my biggest compliment for that series is the opening and theme song frankly).

I thought Yoshitsune was way over done and although I enjoyed the Shinsengumi! series, I thought Kondo Isami's roll going to Katori Shingo was somewhat ridiculous. Dare I say, I actually enjoyed the Musashi series?

However, with somewhat baited breath here, I have high hopes for this. Iwasaki Yataro as a lead character though is somewhat puzzling so I will be looking forward to more information once its available.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm with the citrusy one. There have been WAYYYYYY too many Ryoma/Chushingura based taiga's. Even the Shinsengumi one included a huge dose of Ryoma, going so far as to make him Kondo's buddy.
I'd rather see more from the Kamakura (Yoshitsune was very well done, as was Hojo Tokimune) or Muromachi eras (of which there have been few), or ones that feature lesser known clans from the Sengoku (like the Mouri one). A Chiba clan taiga would be great!!!
Dash, you LIKED Musashi?!?!?!?!?! The WORST TAIGA EVER?!?!?!?!?!
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Musashi" at least had a nice female cast. I even thought Yonekura Ryouko was pretty good, even if she did get nicknamed "Soccer-Mom Otsuu" by a friend of mine. Wink
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Obenjo's NHK Taiga Reviews Reply with quote
Here are my quick and dirty views on the Taiga that have been aired since I've been here.

Atsuhime(2008) actually not as bad as I feared it would be. Yoshinobu is a bit creepy, though.

Furinkazan (2007) What's there not to like about this? Very entertaining.

Komyo ga Tsuji (2006) Nakama Yukie. What else do you need? Enough said.

Yoshitsune (2005) Matsudaira Ken as Benkei was the only thing really worth noting. I generally tuned out.

Shinsengumi (2004) As Tatsu pointed out--Ryoma is a friend of Kondo? Oh, please! And doesn't Kondo kind of look like that froggy-looking SMAP guy--Shingo-kun? Just Kidding What a lousy and slow build up. I dropped out mid-way through and tuned in again for the last 3 episodes. Those were good.

Musashi (2003) A tall boy of beer along with a stack of the Vagabond manga are much more entertaining than this terrible teleplay that meandered far off the mark. It seems Vagabond has also lost it's way. Stick with the Yoshikawa book. It's far more entertaining fiction.

Toshiie to Matsu (2002) A good story about a very interesting Sengoku "power couple". I highly recommend this one.

Hojo Tokimune (2001) Very interesting. Loved the Kamakura power politics and intrigue.

AOI Tokugawa Sandai(2000) To quote Brick McBurly, "I'm lovin' it!"

Genroku Ryoran (47 Ronin- 1999) Oh yeah, Bullwinkle? Not again! Like with Yoshinobu, I had trouble staying interested. I guess that disqualifies me from being a "loyal viewer"!

Tokugawa Yoshinbou (1998)was pretty flat but had a few high points. Had trouble staying interested.

Mori Motonari (1997) Very good production with lots of action. This got me to reading a bit more about the Mori. Ogata Ken, as always, was superb in his supporting role.

Hideyoshi (1996) Superb cast. Great first half, but lost some of its steam after Hideyoshi becomes kampaku.

Yoshimune (1995) I thought Nishida rocked in the title role, but the guy who played his son and future shogun, Ieshige, stole the show.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ashigaru wrote:
"Musashi" at least had a nice female cast. I even thought Yonekura Ryouko was pretty good, even if she did get nicknamed "Soccer-Mom Otsuu" by a friend of mine. Wink

Yes-Uchiyama Rina was the undisputed high point of 'Musashi', and I also liked his childhood friend (Matahachi?). I wouldn't have minded if the whole drama would have revolved around them. I also very much enoyed the performance by the actor playing Sasaki Kojiro.
But the performance by 'Musashi' was the ultimate in pop eyed hysterics. It was like watching a bad silent movie with sound. Ending the drama after the siege of Osaka was ridiculous as well (I would have loved to have seen the rationalizations when Musashi started carving up Christians during the Shimabara rebellion, and even better, being put out of action by a peasant with a rock).
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a thought-what about a Queen Himiko taiga? That would be great and a real change of pace. Not sure if there's enough there for 49 episodes not that that's ever stopped NHK before...
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about Kojiki?
It'll be enough to fill 49 episode.
But they need better CG skill.

I'm looking forward the Ryoma drama.
I never tired of Bakumatsu episodes.
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
As Tatsu pointed out--Ryoma is a friend of Kondo? Oh, please! And doesn't Kondo kind of look like that froggy-looking SMAP guy--Shingo-kun?

That was one of the more historically abortive issues with the series. One of many that seems to plague most of the taiga dramas. On its entertainment value I thought Shinsengumi! was engaging. Same as Musashi, the issue of attractive women aside, my wife (girlfriend at the time) dedicated ourselves to watching it once a week. So there's an issue of "quality time" there that be effecting my memory of it.

I agree with Shiki, I also never tire of Bakumatsu topics.
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mitani Koki the scriptor of Shinsengumi! chose Katori Shingo as Kondo Isami because Katori was able to put his fist into mouth which Kondo used to do.
Very Happy It means historically accurate! Very Happy
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I liked Musashi too.
The only problem was that NHK was out of control of Ichikawa Ebizo(Shinnosuke then).
While he was busy for Kabuki, NHK wasn't able to schedule him so some episodes have Musashi in a few scenes.

And Yonekura was too big(Gotsui) to be Otsuu.
So people called her Gotsuu.
AngusH
Castle Guard
Castle Guard
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The ones I've seen:

Atsuhime: Seen the first two episodes. Not bad, but not great either. Don't know if I'll end up watching the rest.

Furinkazan: Taking me way too long to get through this (still only half way), but that's due to time constraints more than anything else. Pretty solid, but not quite as good as...

Komyo ga Tsuji: Excellent from start to finish IMO, and the character development was far beyond what I'm used to seeing in other Taiga dramas. Was very sorry when this one came to an end.

Yoshitsune: Way too cute and emotional, but enjoyable at times. Middle of the series was much better than the beginning and the end.

Shinsengumi: Yeesh. I barely made it through the opening credits but gave the first two episodes a shot before deleting it from my hard drive.

Hojo Tokimune: My interest in this period of history no doubt played a large part in how much I enjoyed this one. Slow at times and not up to the standard of Komyo IMO, but solid all the same.

47 Ronin: Tried to work my way through this series, but came up well short. I'm just not a big enough chushingura fanatic to devote that much time to it.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I might as well weigh in here…

1) Takeda Shingen-not bad! Well put together and entertaining with solid performances. Like the next one, this one has more of a ‘shot on video soap opera’ look and many of the scenes are set in near darkness.

2) Nobunaga, King Of Zipangu-didn’t care for this at all. The actor playing Nobunaga came across as little more than a spoiled, temperamental adolescent than giving the nuanced performance Oda demands. The extensive nonsense concerning Oda’s fortune teller didn’t help things out, and the sidestory featuring the Jesuits was fairly intrusive-it never blended in with the rest of the story.

3)Tokugawa Aoi-fantastic! Among the best of the bunch. The actor playing Ieyasu was absolutely perfect (and continues to play the role in other movies/TV shows). Hidetada and his wife provided the perfect template for the upcoming drama ‘Toshiie & Matsu’. The only complaint I had was that the series ground to a halt after Ieyasu’s death, and the actor playing Iemitsu was cut from the ‘Nobunaga King Of Zipangu’ mold-being bitchy and angry about everything might be great for anime, but doesn’t work well for real life characters in an extended series. The framing sequences utilizing one of Ieyasu’s descendants from the Mito Tokugawa putting together a ‘truthful’ history of the time and popping in on the live action from time to time to explain what was going on was both effective and amusing.

4) Hojo Tokimune-like AngusH, my interest in the period likely has a lot to do with it, but I thought this was great. There hasn’t been much done with the era of the Mongol Invasions in Japanese cinema/TV, and it pulled it off well.

5) Toshiie And Matsu-again, one of the best of the lot. Toshiie is a lovable idiot and Matsu is gorgeous and just plain lovable. The series spans the width and breadth of the Sengoku and drags in all the major situations and players. The actor playing Nobunaga here delivers the definitive performance of the character, displaying the multiple layers of Oda from his anger and seemingly arbitrary actions to his cool intellect and desire to see his vassals succeed. On screen chemistry worked well, as Matsu/Nobunaga were married in real life and their scenes together showed it. “Matsu! Give me a massage!” says Nobunaga as her husband Toshiie just stands by clueless.

6) Musashi-the goddess Uchiyama Rina, a good Sasaki Kojiro, a funnier than hell and very human Matahachi, and precious little else. The actor playing Musashi is horribly ill-suited for the role, and delivers a hysterical (in the ‘crazy’, not funny, sense) pop-eyed performance that noted film critic Brick McBurly has likened to ‘Fuad Ramses sizin’ up his next victim in Blood Feast’. It’s also one of the few taigas that ends about a third of the way through the characters life. Crap. Crap. Crap.

7) Shinsengumi-I thought I would hate this series, but was very pleased to find that after the boys ended up in Kyoto it was one of the best and most exciting dramas yet done. The raid on the Ikedaya is possibly the best single episode of any of the taiga’s I’ve seen. While one had to roll their eyes at Kondo and Hijikata getting involved in every situation and meeting every historical figure of note from the Bakumatsu (like being best pals with Ryoma, preventing the assassination of Henry Heusken, coming across the aftermath of Ii’s assassination, attempting to board the Black Ships, and many more hijinks) the large cast featured some standout performances and using young actors in the roles was a breath of fresh air.

8 ) Yoshitsune-nicely executed version of the Gikeiki, rather than the Heike Monogatari version of Yoshitsune. The first two thirds were involving and well done, but got rather tepid after the Taira were destroyed at Dannoura. I have to admit that the performances of Yoshitsune’s vassals grated on my nerves (even Matsudaira Ken, who I’m a big fan of, was less than stellar as Benkei). Shizuka and Utsubo provided some excellent eye candy as well, and Hojo Masako made for a wonderfully scheming woman.

9) Komyo ga Tsuji-it’s excellent too, but should be, since it’s a virtual remake of Toshiie & Matsu (except now Hideyoshi hangs out with Yamauchi/Yamanouchi Kazutoyo instead of Maeda Toshiie). Nothing wrong with that-the ‘sensible wife and idiot but stalwart man’ seems to be pretty much the vogue in worldwide TV (with TV largely pandering to a predominantly female audience that revels in male bashing). Extremely likable cast as well, although it is painful to watch an older actor try to pull off ‘young Hideyoshi’.

I’ve seen scattered episodes of Furinkazan and Atsuhime-Furinkazan seems very entertaining, and I was impressed by Gackt’s Kenshin, which I had expected to be the last word in lameness. Still too early to call on Atsuhime.
Three that I really want to see are Hideyoshi, Mori Motonari, and Tokugawa Yoshimune-but even my favorite DVD pirate at the Toji flea market doesn’t have them. I’ve seen two episodes of Mori that my local Japanese food store had on VHS for $1, but they had sold the other ones some time ago.
Wave Tossed
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm working my way through Hojo Tokimune and am enjoying it immensely. Very Happy
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone recall the follow up to the Shinsengumi! special Hijikata Toshizo Saigo no Ichi-nichi?
Any opinions?

I'm going to put it out there and say that I really enjoyed it. More then I did the Shinsengumi! series.

EDIT: Found this while googling. You can watch the first five minutes here:
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1060068K8KwS9sx

Last edited by Dash101 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post.

From Brick's own site, an image of Musashi. If we're going to say anything about Ichikawa Shinnosuke's bug-eyed performance, then at least we have to say the bug-eye thing isn't far off from actuality.

My major issue with actors who have portrayed Musashi, including the venerable Toshiro Mifune, is that they have all been FAR too handsome. Musashi was something of a beast. Unclean, intense, suffered from eczema according to some sources. I have yet to see a portrayal of Miyamoto Musashi that I think is even close.

Never the less, I did think the series was well developed and generally entertaining. More then I can say for the glorified Yoshitsune series.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to love that sound clip of Musashi introducing himself on Brick's page...
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: RYOMA DEN Reply with quote
This Taiga will actually be based on 4 people being
the ones already mentioned plus Ryoma's missus and Thomas Glover .
Now i want to see a real genuine Scotsman not some Aussie or Kiwie .
Robert Carlyle would be perfect but that will never happen ,i expect NHK will grab the first ex pat caucasian that says yes to a year of paid work .

But the thought of Glover speaking to Ryoma
"Ya know laddie i huv a deal fer yeh ugh nice steamer ,cheap too !!!!!!
offered it tooo thut Show Gun Fella but the daft twat wen wid da frogs instead
daft wee c**t .
but yee know a deeel when yes see one dont ee Ryoma ladd nut lek that stupid wee showgun twat ".

Thats what we need no" Gud Day Mate !"
It Dinna Cut it .
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
daft wee c**t .
but yee know a deeel when yes see one dont ee Ryoma ladd nut lek that stupid wee showgun twat ".

I fell off my chair! That is hysterical!!
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: taiga rating Reply with quote
2008 ATSUHIME
Has some decent episodes but on the whole its very slow and dreary .
2007 FURIN KAZAN
Takes about 20 episodes to find its groove but when it does it is great .
2006 KOMYO GA TSUJI
Perfection !.
2005 YOSHITSUNE
I like this ,the sets ,costumes ,actors (most )subject matter ,its a winner
2004 SHINSENGUMI
see Furin Kazan .
2003 MUSASHI
Idiotic drivel !.
2002 TOSHIIE AND MATSU
its great ,not as good as Komyo but getting there .
2001 HOJO TOKIMUNE
Perfection also .
2000 AOI
When Masahiko Tsugawa (Ieysu )leaves at ep 32 a large chunk of what makes this so great follows him as this than limps to the finish line ,but overall still one of the best .
1999 GENROKU RYOURAN
''oh dear "
1997 MORI MOTONARI
Hard to fault this one
1996 HIDEYOSHI
Starts of great (NHK got in trouble because Takenaka's penis was visibly flapping under his loin cloth in the pilot )than gets into a rut ,but Hiroyuki Sanada as Mitsunari is a perfect Shakespearian Villan and gets things back on track .
1992 NOBUNAGA KING OF ZIPANGU
Not bad ,could have been better ,still more than worth watching
1991 TAI HEIKE
Now we are talking ,id like it more with subtitles but why grumble and Meiko Harada is such a bad bad concubine in this .
1990 TOBE NO GOTOKU
Move over Cruise this is the real deal .
1988 TAKEDA SHINGEN
Again perfection
1987 MASAMUNE THE ONE EYED DRAGON
This is what we want to see
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some of the first ones I saw are the ones I remember best, perhaps because the material was fresh.

Kashin--the Bakumatsu period from the Choshu perspective. The major character was Murata Zoroku. He was a very dry and humorless character, which made for some humor. I had visited Yamaguchi the year before and was shown around by a person very interested in the Bakumatsu and lived near Takasugi's grave, but at the time I didn't have any idea who any of the people were, so the drama helped get things in order.

Kusa Moeru The main character was Hojo Masako. Sometimes her youger children reflected on all the murders.

Onna no Taikoki Nene was the main character. It talked a lot about Hideyoshi's relation with his brother and sisters also.

Among more recent ones, I followed Yoshimune quite closely.

One I would have liked to see, though it was not a Sunday-night Taiga, was the Sanada Taiheiki. Has anyone seen it?
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: RYOMA DEN Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
This Taiga will actually be based on 4 people being
the ones already mentioned plus Ryoma's missus and Thomas Glover .
Now i want to see a real genuine Scotsman not some Aussie or Kiwie .
Robert Carlyle would be perfect but that will never happen ,i expect NHK will grab the first ex pat caucasian that says yes to a year of paid work .

daft wee c**t .

Thats what we need no" Gud Day Mate !"
It Dinna Cut it .

Bloody marvellous, Lemon! ROTFLMAO Gud wun unya, laddie. Yuv errned yur keep tahday.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: