Register :: Log in :: Profile   

2010 Taiga drama "Ryoma Den"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found my Ryomaden thread. Very Happy

I think Ryomaden is one of best Taiga drama especially the art.
They said they used different camera.
And music was awesome too.

I'm so happy that they showed Shinsengumi more than I expected.
Though Kondo Isami was Okubo Toshimichi in Atsuhime, Katsura Kogoro was Ito kashitaro in Shinsengumi!.
mktanaka
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
since NHK does not broadcast the Taiga Drama's weekly in area I live..(SF area) i have to wait for DVD copies... and only seen 1-26.. but I enjoy watching this one and admire Ryoma Sakamoto's view of Japan.
He leaving Tosa, joining the Navel Academy, and becoming a disciple of Katsu Kaishu. How accurate is the story and how much is made for TV? I don't know, I am no historian. Sure, we all have self interest and personal agendas. Ryoma's message remained the same... "We are Japanese 1st" "what is best for our country" His negotiation skills to get others to join hands... I admire his story... even if embellished a bit for TV.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: nhk Reply with quote
Yes sadly FUJI TV Dropped the Taiga after Tenchijin to show old Sayuri Yoshinaga films ,but you can find vol's 1and 2 in Chinatown perfect subs too .
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am watching here in Los Angeles through Time Warner Cable with the Japanese channel. I am growing a little tired of this Taiga. It is not bad but I am not a fan of the Ryoma character played by Fukuyama Masaharu and I think his image is completely distorted (duh). Of course I should not be surprised that Ryoma is being portrayed this way in the drama but it would have been nice if they had shown Ryoma more accurately. I don't think it would have taken anything away from Ryoma the character or the real Ryoma if they had shown him actually going to assassinate Katsu Kaishu rather than how it was portrayed in the show.

Google+
Date Onigiri
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: nhk Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
Yes sadly FUJI TV Dropped the Taiga after Tenchijin to show old Sayuri Yoshinaga films ,but you can find vol's 1and 2 in Chinatown perfect subs too .
She's more entertaining than some of the stinkers NHK has laid.
Date Onigiri
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:
I am watching here in Los Angeles through Time Warner Cable with the Japanese channel. I am growing a little tired of this Taiga. It is not bad but I am not a fan of the Ryoma character played by Fukuyama Masaharu and I think his image is completely distorted (duh).
I bet you and many others thought Ryoma was really swell and just like what Hillsborough wrote before you came to the SA, yes?
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Date Onigiri wrote:
Tornadoes28 wrote:
I am watching here in Los Angeles through Time Warner Cable with the Japanese channel. I am growing a little tired of this Taiga. It is not bad but I am not a fan of the Ryoma character played by Fukuyama Masaharu and I think his image is completely distorted (duh).
I bet you and many others thought Ryoma was really swell and just like what Hillsborough wrote before you came to the SA, yes?

Not really. Yes I read Hillsborough before coming here but I also read Jansen. Hillsborough has an interesting writing style (bizarre) with his creative use of phrases such as "propensity to kill" but it was entertaining. I feel Marius Jansen by far has the most thorough english language book regarding Ryoma and in my opinion Ryoma absolutely had an enormous impact on the Bakumatsu events. But what Jansen reveals to me is how so many others such as Nakaoka Shintaro had as big or bigger impact but are much less famous. As I stated elsewhere, I have learned a lot from the SA but my opinions are primarily based on my readings from authors such as Jansen and Lamers, not from other posters here on the SA.

Google+

Last edited by Tornadoes28 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Ryoma Reply with quote
Onigirl
Before you say that about us you should read through the Bakumatsu section both the Rom and his Sainted Dragon were totally savaged in fact many of the posts had to be removed as he threatened legal action .

Many of us are not in the Ryoma camp ,think he was over rated and probably got more credit than he deserved .
To be fair to Hillsbourough he does state that his info is for dramatic effect and may not have happened .

Shinsengumi are the best thing in this sanitized depiction of the feudal futon surfer .

BTW more to our taste Okamoto's long lost TOKKAN (Battlecharge )is coming out ,it deals with the Raven Brigade from Sendai and has Nakadai as Hijikata (Now there is a person many of us admire )
Date Onigiri
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shogun,
Is it really true that Hillsborough threatened legal action against the SA because of posts here and they subsequently had to be removed?

"That just doesn't seem right!" exclaimed Onigiri as he slammed his fist on the table.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: legal Reply with quote
It was years ago but if i remember it was more directed at individuals than the site ,pm Obenjo he will give you the scoop .
Being one of the offenders at the time ,some of our comments were taken as personal.
As it was it was his Shinsengumi book that stirred some of us up ,
I should add and to be fair this could be bs i heard that someone(well 2 actually from the old SHQ) who posted reviews on Amazon about his Gumi book that were less than flattering had them taken down .
mktanaka
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not exactly sure how much impact Ryoma Sakamoto had on making Satsuma/Choshu to join hands or if others had a greater part in that. The changes during this period was so large, many more than 1 person had to put their heart and souls to accomplish the changes that took place. Did others play key roles in these changes other than Ryoma? of course..

My take is, he was not always sure or what was right, but I sensed he listened and tried to figure it out. He was not set in his ways..such as his intent to kill Katsu Kaishu and then changing his mind after meeting him.

he was born into a family with modest means. Lower class Samurai and then Ronin Samurai due to his leaving Tosa to find his path in life. How much did he play in getting Satsuma/Choshu to join hands? I don't know.... but what turned out to be one of the most important changes in the history of Japan was the end result. It did change the course of history in Japan and to a lesser extent, the history of the 20th century. (the formation of the Japanese Empire as well as Japan's role in WWI and WWII)

as I look at different periods of Japan's history, and assess the Bakumatsu to Meiji years..and take the 25 year period, 1860 to 1885, I see only a handful of other 25 year periods as eventful as this period which events changed the course of history in Japan...

other 25 year periods in the past 400 years or so
that had as much impact/change in Japan?

1575 to 1600 and 1930 to 1955..

what i admire is his quest to try to do what was best for Japan during a period that was very confusing of what direction should be taken.

In the same way, I also admire Katsu Kaishu and what he was trying to do for Japan and not just the Tokugawa Shogunate. We all have self interest and bias.
To set those aside for what is right is easier said than done. My belief is Ryoma tried to do this.
He had those beliefs, and as with others, was willing to die for what he felt would be best for his country.

Japan was a very closed nation, wanting to be isolated. Ryoma did not come up with all these unique ideas, but he could comprehend good ones and see how they could help his nation/people if implemented. Seeing how the USA evolve as a nation in the previous 100 years and asking why not copy many of the ideas of what was becoming the most powerful nation in the world. He could see that and then had the communication skills to convince others of this as well. (very strong willed ones to say the least)

his murder/dying at a relatively young age as well at or near the peak of one's life, adds to that person's legacy on his/her life's work to almost mythical levels.

in the USA, we have seen that to some extent with JFK, MLK, MX, Lincoln, and even movie/music stars such as James Dean or Marilyn Monroe. Is Sakamoto's larger than life legend in part due to this? sure.. but seems to me he was always around the key topic on the table and power players during his last few years of his life... Saigo, Katsu, Yamauchi, Takechi, Katsura, and Goto.. a mere coincidence he impacted these prominent people? or was it his quest/determination to help change the course his country was on and lack of self interest in all his actions?? my take is the later..

I know, the threads of Sakamoto, enough already please.. as well as the Sakamoto, he was not all that.. but for me, he did alright with what he had to work with..

(and I am by no means a historian on Japan, I would classify me an entry level novice)

Last edited by mktanaka on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 15 times in total
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryoma Reply with quote
wicked iemon wrote:
BTW more to our taste Okamoto's long lost TOKKAN (Battlecharge )is coming out ,it deals with the Raven Brigade from Sendai and has Nakadai as Hijikata (Now there is a person many of us admire )

Really? Subbed? Shocked Cool! Dates and sources appreciated!

Owarikenshi
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Full 48 episodes but no English sub.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jkgsc745/videos
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems some episodes are missing.
wicked iemon
The Lemon King
The Lemon King
Iga no Kami
Iga no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryoma Reply with quote
Owarikenshi wrote:
wicked iemon wrote:

Really? Subbed? Shocked Cool! Dates and sources appreciated!

Owarikenshi

Sorry Owari just spotted this Tokken actually was put out by Samurai DVD ,The film was only on VHS for rental only for a short time ,never on regular VHS ,DVD or BLU still the print is really good .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: