Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Spin Off: The Taika Reform(s) and Impact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Spin Off: The Taika Reform(s) and Impact Reply with quote
I'm spinning this off into a separate thread because it could get quite detailed. Here's the original:

http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=3281

I want to keep discussing the Taika Reforms--what they aspired to as well as what they actually did.

I'm wondering how much of this is also tied up with the eventual move from the Kabane system of ranking Uji to the individual ranking that grew out of the Kan'i system of colored court caps.

In 607, colored court caps were instituted as a method of determining one's individual place in the government. I presume this is based off of the system in place on the mainland, with 6 ranks based on 6 of the traditional Confucian values, then split into upper and lower ranks within that. This was separate from the traditional Kabane system, which were a form of rank or title handed out to entire Uji--clan or family groups--rather than to specific individuals.

In addition to the Kabane system, many governmental functions seemed to have been hereditary positions.

In 645, with the institution of the Taika reforms, we see the adoption of a very Chinese-style government, which itself was theoretically built upon the concept of appointment through merit rather than family ties.

I'm wondering if the purpose (corrupted though it may have been later) of the Reforms was nominally to diminish the power of the clans and to focus more on the individual. I'll be discussing this somewhat in the case of one of the prime movers of the time, Nakatomi no Kamako, later known as Fujiwara no Kamatari.

Thoughts?
kitsuno
Forum Shogun
Forum Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a note - after sending Nagaeyari a text on his cell about the Ancient Japan goodness going on in his absence, he responded to keep it up because he wants to jump in. Well, technically, he said "I told them to wait for me!" but I think there will be plenty more when he gets back.

Subcribe to Blog FeedS-A Podcast homepage
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey, it will be great--he can take over because I may be a little out of it next week Smile

Besides, I figured I'd get the info out there--now we can be discussing it when he gets back!
nagaeyari
Asuka no Kami
Asuka no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Ancient Japan to Heian All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: