Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Star Trek Episode 52 --Sulu at Fushimi Castle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kato Kiyomasa
Friggin' Nutjob no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Star Trek Episode 52 --Sulu at Fushimi Castle Reply with quote
Star Trek: The Original Series #52: Home Is the Hunter
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook8788.htm

A tall gray-haired man, handsome by any standard, strode to his side. "I am Watanenabe Sadayo. 'Suru,' eh? 'The one who tries.' But I think that the word 'suru' is also a pickpocket. Hmm," he said, scanning Sulu up and down. "You will return to the castle with me. The lord will wish to reward you. Take a horse from these brigands and follow me."
takuan
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I always found the name Sulu regrettable, as there is no L sound in the Japanese syllabary. (Hence the stereotypical Japanese guy saying, "Rotsa ruck!" etc.)
Akaguma
Kibamusha
Kibamusha
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I first thought Sulu mas a was a phonetically (mis-)spelling of Tsuru, which is a real name.
The name of my wife's boss was Tsuru, so I always thought of Sulu when she spoke of her "Monsieur Tsuru" ! (It was a Japanese High school in France for Japanese children, with Japanese teachers and so on. And there, even when speaking in Japanese, they liked to call each other "Monsieur" Yamada, "Madame" Kobayashi or "Mademoiselle" Tanaka (with Japanese accent, of course)Very Happy .)

But I have recently read that Mr Sulu was supposed to represent all Asian people, at that his family name came from the Sulu Sea in Philippine (more or less randomly choosed on a map by Roddenberry). His japanese first name was created later.
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That sounds like an interesting book. Sort of like when they got zapped to the OK Corral.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Samurai Film All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: