Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Samurai faceguards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenitai
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Samurai faceguards Reply with quote
I'm always fascinated by a full-armored samurai with a faceguard. Wether that'd be illustrations or miniatures.

I often wonder if they were actually used in battle?
Reason I ask is, in many modern Taiga drama's I never happened to see one wearing a mask. However, there is in The Last Samurai for example.
While I can understand the reason in the drama's to not use the masks, for purposes like having the actor's face visible at all time.
Yoshitoshi
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe the hanbô was more popular than the menpô(lower face) or sômen(full face). I'm pretty sure I've read that somewhere.
What I am sure I've read, from A.J. Bryant's armor site, is that few samurai actually used the menpô in the field, listing reasons of uncomfort and heat.

The hanbô is a menpô without the face, leaving only protection for the jaw/cheeks(depending on design) and the throat. While it was less obstructive, but still giving some protection and keeping the helmet cords away from the face, I could see why it was a more popular choice.

http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html
Go to the section "Men yoroi"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: