Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Latest book by Turnbull

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akaryu53
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Latest book by Turnbull Reply with quote
Amazon just made my day, delivering both the Okehazama book from the US and the latest book by Stephen Turnbull in the Osprey Battle order series froom the UK store. This one, titled 'Samurai Armies 1647-1649' delivers what seems to be a concise and well-balanced approach to the structure and tactics of the sengoku "armies" in the usual 96 illustrated pages format.
Proof of the pudding will be in the reading ofcourse!

Nice way to start the year!
R. Evans
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest book by Turnbull Reply with quote
akaryu53 wrote:
Amazon just made my day, delivering both the Okehazama book from the US and the latest book by Stephen Turnbull in the Osprey Battle order series froom the UK store. This one, titled 'Samurai Armies 1647-1649' delivers what seems to be a concise and well-balanced approach to the structure and tactics of the sengoku "armies" in the usual 96 illustrated pages format.
Proof of the pudding will be in the reading ofcourse!

Nice way to start the year!

So now that you had time to read it, how is it?
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw that book in Borders. It looked very good. I may have to buy it. My husband and I just read the "warriors" book by Turnbull.
akaryu53
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This book is alltogether quite good, even if it crams several different topics into its 96 pages. I don't know what readership this series called "Battle orders" is aiming at, obviously it fills a gap on the non-Japanese language bookshelf. For our money's worth we get an explanation of the relationship between lord, vassals and their men, and how this evolved into armies with a proper "order of battle". Topics such as command and control, battle formations and tactics are treated as well. The use of surprise attacks, night fighting and ofcourse firepower is also mentioned. Most of the illustrations will have been seen elsewhere and the limit of 96 pages does not allow for any in depth treatment. Nevertheless it's a good primer and an easy read for anyone interested in the subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: