Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Kamakura-Muromachi Trivia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Kamakura-Muromachi Trivia Reply with quote
It’s time for Kamakura-Muromachi trivia! And yes, there’s some late Heian stuff thrown in the pot as well. The answers to many of these can be found in threads elsewhere on the board or on the Wiki. Most of these are pretty easy, but the difficulty level will be adjusted over time as needed. The rules are the same as the Edo and Sengoku period trivia threads:
1) Only one question can be answered (correctly or otherwise) in any 24 hour period.
2) Please copy the complete text of the question when giving the answer.
3) If you can, feel free to give more background and expand upon any of the answers or other issues that a question might bring up.
Now-on with the show!

1) Contrary to popular belief, a large portion of the Taira fleet survived the Battle of Dan-no-ura. It seems that a handful of the survivors went to Tsushima and Iki, but there’s evidence that the majority settled in a foreign land, acclimated themselves, and conducted a thriving international trade. Where are they thought to have settled?
A) China
B) Korea
C) Ryukyu
D) Taiwan

2) There were 11 Shoguns appointed during the Kamakura and Kenmu periods. The first three were from the Minamoto and the last six were from the Imperial Family. What family were the other two from?
A) Nijo
B) Fujiwara
C) Tachibana
D) Abe

3) From about 1203, a regent was appointed from the Hojo family in order to ‘aid’ the figurehead Shogun. In effect, they held the real power in the Kamakura Bakufu. At times, even the regent would have a regent appointed to act in his stead! Counting the ‘regents for the regents’, how many were there before the Kamakura period came to an end?
A) 7
B) 11
C) 13
D) 16

4) Which of the following battles was Kiso Yoshinaka NOT a part of?
A) Yahagigawa
B) Mizushima
C) Yototagawa-jo
D) Shinohara

5) The eastern gate at To-ji temple in Kyoto has remained closed for over 600 years. Why is this? (Yes, I know this seems tough, but I have a feeling that a lot of you know the answer anyway Wink )

6) What was the capital of Japan at the time of the Genpei War’s first battle at Ujigawa in 1180?
A) Heian-kyo
B) Nara
C) Fukuhara
D) Heijo-kyo

7) The ‘Fifth Month Disturbance’ of 1305 centered around:
A) factional conflict inside the Hojo family
B) a plot by the Imperial court to take power
C) a rebellion by Kyushu samurai dissatisfied with rewards received in the aftermath of the Mongol Invasions
D) fighting between the monks of Midera and Enryaku-ji

8 ) The Hojo regency used the threat of Mongol invasion as an excuse to address other issues. Which of the following was NOT something the Bakufu achieved/tried to do?
A) Increasing Bakufu control over the samurai of Kyushu
B) Putting down internal strife within the Hojo family
C) Cracking down on bandits and akuto
D) Promulgation of Nichiren Buddhism

9) After the Second Mongol Invasion in 1281, how many diplomatic missions did the Mongols send to Japan by 1300 (inclusive of 1300)?
A) 0
B) 4
C) 9
D) 19

10) When Minamoto Yoritomo was defeated at the Battle of Ishibashiyama, he sailed back to the Boso Peninsula. What samurai then pledged his aid to Yoritomo, conquered the Boso Peninsula in a week in order to reach him, and then advised Yoritomo to set up his would-be government in Kamakura?
A) Chiba Tsunetane
B) Nagai Saito Sanemori
C) Satake Yoshimune
D) Hojo Tokimasa

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
8 ) The Hojo regency used the threat of Mongol invasion as an excuse to address other issues. Which of the following was NOT something the Bakufu achieved/tried to do?
A) Increasing Bakufu control over the samurai of Kyushu
B) Putting down internal strife within the Hojo family
C) Cracking down on bandits and akuto
D) Promulgation of Nichiren Buddhism

I'm taking an easy one here. I'm shameless, I know. Laughing

The answer is D). After all, Nichiren and his "cult" was disruptive and dangerous and subversive for his rants against the government and the blasphemy of the other mainstream Buddhist sects.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
2) There were 11 Shoguns appointed during the Kamakura and Kenmu periods. The first three were from the Minamoto and the last six were from the Imperial Family. What family were the other two from?
A) Nijo
B) Fujiwara
C) Tachibana
D) Abe

Ah I got this one. At first I read your choice of answers and thought you had made a mistake. After Minamoto Sanetomo was killed, the reigns of power whent to Kujo. I thought maybe I had it wrong, so after looking into it online trying to see if Kujo was in fact incorrect, I learned that the Kujo were actually one of five branches of the Fujiwara family.!

So in a round about way, my answer is B.) Fujiwara.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo and Dash, you are both correct! Good job! Party time!
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
9) After the Second Mongol Invasion in 1281, how many diplomatic missions did the Mongols send to Japan by 1300 (inclusive of 1300)?
A) 0
B) 4
C) 9
D) 19

D) 19 They really wanted trade relations, under their own terms though. Kind of the reason the Mongols started on their expansionist path originally. ie., Tanguks
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shin no sen wrote:
A) 0
B) 4
C) 9
D) 19

D) 19 They really wanted trade relations, under their own terms though. Kind of the reason the Mongols started on their expansionist path originally. ie., Tanguks

Sorry John,
that would be incorrect (although your reasoning is good).
snakespirit
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are my weak efforts! Hope I haven't got them all wrong....

C: Yototagawa-jo
I'm taking a guess that it was Yototagawa-jo because I cannot find any reference to it

6) What was the capital of Japan at the time of the Genpei War’s first battle at Ujigawa in 1180?
C: Fukuhara
It's hard to find a definitive date, but I'm guessing it was Fukuhara, and that the battle came after (although I've seen docs that claim Uji came first, then Fukuhara, in which case the answer is Heian!)

10) When Minamoto Yoritomo was defeated at the Battle of Ishibashiyama, he sailed back to the Boso Peninsula. What samurai then pledged his aid to Yoritomo, conquered the Boso Peninsula in a week in order to reach him, and then advised Yoritomo to set up his would-be government in Kamakura?

A: Chiba Tsunetane

A) 0 - somebody died in Kublai's family, the all had to go home and never had the energy or strength to try anything again.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
snakespirit wrote:
Here are my weak efforts! Hope I haven't got them all wrong....

C: Yototagawa-jo
I'm taking a guess that it was Yototagawa-jo because I cannot find any reference to it

C: Fukuhara
It's hard to find a definitive date, but I'm guessing it was Fukuhara, and that the battle came after (although I've seen docs that claim Uji came first, then Fukuhara, in which case the answer is Heian!)

A: Chiba Tsunetane

A) 0 - somebody died in Kublai's family, the all had to go home and never had the energy or strength to try anything again.

Snakespirit,
thanks for putting in a big effort, but as you have violated Rule 1 as outlined above

Tatsu wrote:
1) Only one question can be answered (correctly or otherwise) in any 24 hour period.

we have to disqualify all your answers (right and wrong)-so all of those questions are still open to being answered. However, feel free to resubmit your reply with any one answer.
Date Onigiri
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Everyone, it me, Date Onigiri, posting from cold and damp Sendai! It's so damp here that my nori wrapping has turned quite soggy! Sad

I've been away for a while as I think things had to cool down after another forum member wigged out the last time I was around. The whole thing was quite strange, but I'm back!!! Mina san yoroshiku!! Very Happy

Ok, I love the Heike Monogatari and the late Heian - Kamakura periods, so I wanna answer question 1.

1) Contrary to popular belief, a large portion of the Taira fleet survived the Battle of Dan-no-ura. It seems that a handful of the survivors went to Tsushima and Iki, but there’s evidence that the majority settled in a foreign land, acclimated themselves, and conducted a thriving international trade. Where are they thought to have settled?
A) China
B) Korea
C) Ryukyu
D) Taiwan

C) Ryukyu! A lot of research indicates that the story of the total annihilation of the Heike at Dan-no-Ura was a fabrication of later versions of the Heike Monogatari in order to give the story a more dramatic ending as well as to serve as a stronger moral lesson. Heike survivors are alleged to have fled to the Ryukyus where they did become involved in trade and perhaps became influential in one of the regional ruling dynasties down there before the Sho family consolidated rule over the islands.

It is interesting that "Taira" is a fairly common family name in Okinawa. I've ran into a couple of Tairas myself down there while turning myself into a "yaki onigiri" by sunning myself on the beach! Nyuck nyuck! Laughing
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Date, you are correct! Not too bad for an edible samurai!
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
7) The ‘Fifth Month Disturbance’ of 1305 centered around:
B) a plot by the Imperial court to take power
C) a rebellion by Kyushu samurai dissatisfied with rewards received in the aftermath of the Mongol Invasions
D) fighting between the monks of Midera and Enryaku-ji

As 1305 was in the Genka period, I tried looking up "Genka no Ran", and it came up.
I could not follow all the details, but Hôjô Munekata 北条宗方 was a central figure, and it involved different groups attacking eachother's mansions.
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bethetsu, you are correct! Nice-that was one of the tougher questions. Hojo Munekata was indeed a central figure-his faction assassinated Hojo Tokimura, and then Munekata was killed in turn by someone within his own group. With all the infighting that went on among the Hojo the entire time of their regency, it's amazing they managed to stay in control of the Bakufu as long as they did.
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
A) Heian-kyo
B) Nara
C) Fukuhara
D) Heijo-kyo

Its been over 24 hours since I posted an answer so I'd like to take another crack. I can't believe no one has answered this one yet:

C.) Fukuhara

Following the the battle at Ujigawa, and after the death of the Minamoto head, the captial was moved to Fukuhara from Heian-kyo.

By way of the gregorian calander, there were 2 capitals at three different times in 1180. It's modern day Kyoto of course. Most of these places you can still visit today including Heian-jingu. (You can't miss it, its the one with the rather large orange torii). Speaking of Fukuhara, I adore Ai-chan. (Ai Fukuhara - ping pong queen!)... She's..uhm.. Ok I think I've trailed off topic... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Dash101 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dash,
No! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
Fukuhara is incorrect.
Also, I'm not sure this is what you were saying, but Fukuhara is not located within the confines of modern day Kyoto.
But as a consolation prize, here's a pic of Ai for you (with Jackie Chan, no less).

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ARghh Huh? Wait, so .... Blimey! You mean prior to the outcome of the battles where was the capital? Well it's Heian-kyo then as I mentioned above. But damn it, that's a trick question!!! Very Happy

I'm certain Heian-kyo is in modern day Kyoto. Not Fukuhara, I meant Heian-jingu. Been there several times in fact.

(Incidentally, thanks for the pic!) Cool

Last edited by Dash101 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dash101 wrote:
ARghh Huh? Wait, so .... Blimey! Well it must be Heian-kyo then. But damn it, that's a trick question!!! Very Happy

I'm fairly certain Heian-kyo is in modern day Kyoto. Not Fukuhara, I meant Heian-jingu.

(Incidentally, thanks for the pic!) Cool

Dash, Heian-kyo (the Capital of Peace and Tranquility) is what Kyoto was referred to early in its life. I've read that it was renamed Kyoto in the 11th century, but was still routinely referred to as Heian-kyo (along with a bunch of other names) for quite a while. So Heian-kyo=Kyoto.

At the time of the battle of Ujigawa, the capital was located in Heian-kyo. Taira Kiyomori was incensed that a member of the Imperial family (Prince Mochihito) rose up against him and that many of the local religious factions sided with him. He decided to remove the Imperial family from the influence of the monks in and around Kyoto and informed the Emperor a month or so after the battle they were moving the capital to Fukuhara (not to mention burning Midera and most of the temples in Nara). The move proved tremendously unpopular among Kiyomori's family as well as the nobles, and the capital was moved back to Kyoto at the end of the year-giving three capitals and two locations within the same year as you said in your first answer.

Last edited by Tatsunoshi on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Dash, Heian-kyo (the Capital of Peace and Tranquility) is what Kyoto was referred to early in its life. I've read that it was renamed Kyoto in the 11th century, but was still routinely referred to as Heian-kyo (along with a bunch of other names) for quite a while. So Heian-kyo=Kyoto.

Narohodo.

Quote:
At the time of the battle of Ujigawa, the capital was located in Heian-kyo. Taira Kiyomori was incensed that a member of the Imperial family (Prince Mochihito) rose up against him and that many of the local religious factions sided with him. He decided to remove the Imperial family from the influence of the monks in and around Kyoto and informed the Emperor a month or so after the battle they were moving the capital to Fukuhara (not to mention burning Midera and most of the temples in Nara). The move proved tremendously unpopular among Kiyomori's family as well as the nobles, and the capital was moved back to Kyoto at the end of the year-giving three capitals and two locations within the same year as you said in your first answer.

I am aware of the move of the capital to and back but I you've put into very simple context. Thanks! Very Happy
Date Onigiri
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dash101 wrote:
Narohodo.

Hi Dash, it's me, Date Onigiri!!! Hello!!!

I think you meant "naruhodo". Nyuck nyuck.!!!
Dash101
Fukusho
Fukusho
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor
Sonnooh Yeah!
Sonnooh Yeah!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
lol .. very cute! Calling it a day, I'm going to bed Wink
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gozen, oops, I mean Snakespirit, already answered this one correctly, but...

A) Chiba Tsunetane
B) Nagai Saito Sanemori
C) Satake Yoshimune
D) Hojo Tokimasa

The answer is A)- Chiba Tsunetane

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Gozen, oops, I mean Snakespirit, already answered this one correctly, but...

A) Chiba Tsunetane
B) Nagai Saito Sanemori
C) Satake Yoshimune
D) Hojo Tokimasa

The answer is A)- Chiba Tsunetane

YEEEEEEEEEEES! You are right, sir!
Koyori, I hope you're satisfied now Wink .

That leaves 3, 4, 5, and 9 on the table. Who is man (or woman) enough to step up and give them a shot Razz?
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't believe this one hasn't been answered yet. I've been meaning to, but just haven't had the time to sit down at a computer long enough. Since I have the books now, too, I'll see what else I can add.

5) The eastern gate at To-ji temple in Kyoto has remained closed for over 600 years. Why is this?

Ashikaga Takauji refused to sally forth from his headquarters at the To-ji temple compound and duel with Nitta Yoshisada, who was waiting, with his army, outside of the eastern gate. The Ashikaga forces would go on to win the day, which took place on the 30th day of the 6th month (Conlan has June 30th, but 6-30 is the date given in my timeline), and this date traditionally marks the start of Ashikaga hegemony. To-ji temple has kept the Eastern Gate closed in memory of that event.

For a little more information: Nitta Yoshisada and Nawa Nagatoshi, who were both loyal to Emperor Go-Daigo, were attempting to chastise Ashikaga Takauji, who, despite his prior support for Emperor Go-Daigo's revolution against the Hojo regency, was now intent on taking power himself. By the sixth month of 1336, the headquarters of the Ashikaga had been established on the grounds of To-ji temple.

That day, Nitta and Nawa had swept down through the capital to just outside of the east gate of To-ji. A small group of Shouni warriors had remained in place during the initial incursion, and were now behind the Imperial forces. As Yoshisada challenged Takauji, the Uesugi charged forth from the north gate, forcing the Imperial forces to retreat. The Shouni forces then pursued them. During the retreat, Nawa Nagatoshi was killed.

As mentioned, this battle was seen as a pivotal moment, where the Ashikaga finally gained enough of an upper hand to ensure their shogunal aspirations would become a reality, creating a dynasty that would last until the 16th century.

-Josh
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tatsunoshi wrote:
shin no sen wrote:
A) 0
B) 4
C) 9
D) 19

Sorry John,
that would be incorrect (although your reasoning is good).

Q#9
Alright, I'll try again. There was over 20 missions to Japan including ones with An English knight, Koreans and Chinese ambassadors. Rebuffed to say the least. In 1281 Kublai Khan's wife died (Chabi), Vietnamese campaign etc. and death of Zhenjin in 1286 curtailed these envoys. Temur however sent envoys to Japan. Using some deduction, 19 is too many as most were before 1281, 0 is wrong as we know Temur sent envoys. That leaves 9 or 4. I have to go with 4 as there wasn't the dedication to the mission that Kublai had. So my revised answer is.

B) 4
Kagemusha
Togishi
Togishi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
11 Which were the two other major branches in addition to Yamanouchi and Ogigayatsu of the 4 main Uesugi family branches during Muromachi period?
Bethetsu
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
3) From about 1203, a regent was appointed from the Hojo family in order to ‘aid’ the figurehead Shogun. In effect, they held the real power in the Kamakura Bakufu. At times, even the regent would have a regent appointed to act in his stead! Counting the ‘regents for the regents’, how many were there before the Kamakura period came to an end?
A) 7
B) 11
C) 13
D) 16

D) 16
This came up in the kyoshitsu, so I am copying it from there. The () count the regents of the regents.
1 Tokimasa 時政 1203-05
2 Yoshitoki 義時 1205-24
3 Yasutoki 泰時 1224-42
4 Tsunetoki 経時 1242-1246
5 Tokiyori 時頼 1246-56
 (6) Nagatoki 長時
 (7)Masamura 政村 1264-
6 (8) Tokimune 時宗 1268 -1284
7 (9) Sadatoki 貞時 1284-1301
8? (10) Morotoki 師時 1301-1311
 (11)Munenobu 宗宣 (1311-1312)
 (12)Hirotoki 煕時 (1312-1315)
 (13)Mototoki 基時 (1315-1316)
9 (14) Takatoki 高時 1316-26]]
 (15)Sadaaki 貞顕 (1326)
 (16)Moritoki 守時 (1326-1333)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Samurai History - Kamakura to Sengoku All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: