Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Intriguing Buddhist/Shinto structure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Intriguing Buddhist/Shinto structure Reply with quote
The structure in this photo can be found at Dazaifu Tenmangu, sort of off to the side of the main plazas, amongst the small mini-shrines on the edge of where the main grounds meet the forest.

It struck me as interesting, strange, and yet familiar. Somehow it reminds me maybe of a stupa or a part of the top of a pagoda, but those are Buddhist symbols, and would be strange to find at such a prominent Shinto shrine, no?

It's been almost exactly a year now since I was there, and in all that time it's never come to me what this is.

I apologize to just come and show such a picture without making it look like I've done any research, but... with only a picture and no search terms to start from, it's quite difficult to do such research. Besides, it could spur good conversation here.

Any thoughts?

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Intriguing Buddhist/Shinto structure Reply with quote
lordameth wrote:
Somehow it reminds me maybe of a stupa or a part of the top of a pagoda, but those are Buddhist symbols, and would be strange to find at such a prominent Shinto shrine, no?

It's very common to find Buddhist and Shinto symbols intermixed-for most of Japan's history, they've been intertwined, with many temples housing shrines. It wasn't until the Meiji period that the government attempted to split them apart (since Buddhism had come to be seen as as agent of the old Shogunate and Shinto was advanced as the symbol of the Emperor).
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
神仏習合
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It strikes me as just plain odd.

Meiji period or later? It reminds me of things from around the 19th to 20th centuries. Lots of bronze and what looks like concrete.

The mon used appears to be the symbol of the city itself, so possibly a monument of some kind, but I don't know that it is particularly Shinto or Buddhist.

I think I can see what you mean, though. The top has the "parasols," as I've come to think of them, that adorn the tops of Buddhist stupas or pagodas. The tops of the pillars could represent peaches or jewels, but I just don't know.

-Josh
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I was fully aware of the intertwining of Buddhist and Shinto symbols historically... such as one very frequently finds at small Shinto shrines on the grounds of major Buddhist temples. But I've never seen a pagoda or a daibutsu or any large-scale major Buddhist symbol like that at a majorly important Shinto shrine.

Anyway, putting that issue aside, what really attracted my curiosity is the way the four pillars are arranged around the central one, with the perpendicular crossbeams coming out and connecting them. This definitely reminds me of a pagoda or stupa element somehow, but I don't know why, or if that's an accurate association to draw....

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now that I'm at home and can see the photo (blocked at work), I really don't see it being any type of Buddhist symbol (or in the style of one). I believe Josh's guess of it being a monument might be correct.
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The posts and beams look somewhat like the skeleton of some kind of building, though missing four posts. Is that possibly what you are thinking of?

-Josh
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's the crashed remains of Blake's ship, the Liberator. Wink
Hiro Katsumoto
Priest
Priest
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, never saw anything like that before. Very cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: