Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Seeking Antique Japanese Jizai Okimono or Articulated Insect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shogun8
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Seeking Antique Japanese Jizai Okimono or Articulated Insect Reply with quote
Hello All,

One of my areas of collecting is that of Jizai Okimono or articulated creatures. Life-size and very detailed, these creations take the form of insects, shellfish, dragons, snakes and other animals. Materials range from ivory, to silver, copper, iron, bronze, shakudo and other metals, with legs, wings, heads, etc. being completely moveable. Examples can date as far back as the Edo period, but most are from the Meiji or Taisho periods.

I am actively seeking fine examples of jizai okimono, especially insects in iron or bronze.

Please drop me a PM if you have any such items for sale.

Thanks.
Ashigaru
Wakasa no Kami
Wakasa no Kami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, that is a pretty niche hobby.

Don't have any sources for you, but I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing what you've got. Assuming you're willing to share pics.
Shogun8
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will try to post an image by the weekend.
Shogun8
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry it took so long, but I had to remind myself how to post an image - Hopefully it works. This is a late Edo/Meiji period grasshopper in bronze, signed by the artist Muneyoshi. Once samurai were outlawed, armorers started to make these lifelike, articulated creatures to show their craftsmanship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: