Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Mavashi,

If I understand you correctly you are talking about misplaced joints in relation to the angle of attack, right?

平和,

マット
Dr.Mavashi
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well ... I am talking about having a "stick of vectors" not a "fan of vectors" I don't know how to explain this better.
msr.iaidoka
Iaidouka
Iaidouka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Mavashi,

That is a shame because now you have totally lost me. I have no idea what you mean...

平和、

マット
Bladeswinger
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Martial Arts Reply with quote
Algren-san wrote:
Who here takes any formal martial arts. Personally I take Aikido and practice Iaido, Tang Soo do, and Muay Thai however I am interested in all martial arts especially those from Japan and Thailand.

20 years Itto Tenshin Ryu Kenjutsu
20 years Yamate Ryu Aikijutsu
10 years Heki Ryu Kyudo
17 years Tae Kwon Do
2 years Tai Chi/ Wa Lum Kung fu
Bladeswinger
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
Dr.Mavashi,

If I understand you correctly you are talking about misplaced joints in relation to the angle of attack, right?

平和,

マット

Thats kinda what I was thinking he ment
Bladeswinger
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
msr.iaidoka wrote:
Dr.Mavashi,

That is a shame because now you have totally lost me. I have no idea what you mean...

平和、

マット

Im with you,not a clue what he means
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Martial Arts Reply with quote
Algren-san wrote:
Who here takes any formal martial arts. Personally I take Aikido and practice Iaido, Tang Soo do, and Muay Thai however I am interested in all martial arts especially those from Japan and Thailand.

For about the past 5 years I've been practicing Nakamura Ryu Battodo, Mugai Ryu Iaihyodo, Shinto Muso Ryu Jodo, and Atarashii Naginata at the Capital Area Budokai (http://capitalareabudokai.org). Previously, through college, I did 5 years of aikido (Seishinkai, with some exposure to Yoshinkan and Kokikai), and I started kendo in Japan around 2000, and have continued off and on since then (I just don't have the time, these days).

-Josh
Tadakatsu
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Judo, Sasori Te Ninjutsu and Sasori Te Kobujutsu and a small bit of Tai-Chi and Taijutsu.
Miyake
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I started with Muay Thai for a few months, but found out it wasn't for me...
Then I moved to 5-Animal Kung Fu, and have been practicing diligently it for 4 years. I was always playing with wooden swords as a kid, but I only started practicing swordsmanship 5 years ago. I am studying the Chinese Broadsword (Dao) as well as the Broken Sword (Duan Jian) styles of Swordsmanship. I was accepted as an apprentice for a style of Quickdraw, as well as Continuing-and-Returning sword.
(Basically looks like Iaido with Chinese Dao techniques, but the sword is shortter and wider than a Katana, known as 'Beile Dao')

I have searched all my life for a school of Japanese sword art, but the area where I grew up, as well as the area where I live now have very few Martial Arts schools. The area is overrun by Olympic Tae Kwon Do schools...
OishiYoshio
Inkeeper
Inkeeper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Koshiki Hojutsu for about 8 years.
Chushingura
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tae Kwon Do ITF: 22 years
Kung Fu: 1 year
Iai/kendo: 1 year
Brazilian Ju Jitsu: 4 months
kendoka girl
Artisan
Artisan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Karate - nikyu - no longer practicing
Aikido - nikyu Aikikai - no longer practicing
Kendo - nidan
Eishin Ryu Iaido - shodan
Krav Maga - lessons given at work every week
wiranobu
Village Councilman
Village Councilman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I Did Jiu-jitsu during high school (5 years ago), but I stopped because now I'm against violence Laughing

However in Indonesia it's not like the brazilian style, here jiujitsu is mixed with a bit of aikido, karate, judo, and even pencak silat moves.

My sensei told me the style was transmitted to Indonesia during World War II when Japan occupied South East Asia, by a soldier named Ishikawa (not clear what his first name is, some say its Yoshen, but it doesn't sound Japanese). The locals here are more used to fighting with traditional pencak silat, so they incorporated a few moves here and there.

Here they call the hybrid style the Ishikawa Kyushin-ryu Jiu-jitsu. However this is disputed because the Japanese didn't recognise it.

The kyushin name perhaps is a corruption from Sannosuke Ueshima's Kushin-ryu karate which has its roots on Konshin Yujoyitsu jiujitsu. There is kushin ryu karate, but never a k(y)ushin ryu jiujitsu, only in Indonesia. Not sure why.

The dojo that I went goes under the name of Institute of Jiu-jitsu Indonesia (IJI), there many are other dojos, each of them claiming to be the original, trying to get recognition from the Japanese honbu.

But one thing I know, The training in my dojo was often quite brutal, some dojos even make the students do upside down fist push ups on concrete, we get full contact kumite and randoris, and oh yeah mistakes are often rewarded with punches right to the belly.

Belt promotion exams are hellish and will get longer the higher the grade, the urban legend said the blue belt to brown belt is notorious cause you have to fight against three opponents blindfolded until you win.

However with all its problems corcerning the origins, and the brutality, I could say all round it's fairly effective, they teach basic self defense against muggers armed with knifes, breathing techniques, and the use of weapons like bo-jutsu and tonfas.

Some of the grappling and throwing moves might seem more aikido and judo-ish, and UFC style full force punches are common. Here's an old video of two brutes fighting (my 2 sensei).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnfr9C5nc3o

They're obviously wearing aikido uniform, but on a normal training it's usually karate/judo style dougi.

my ex-dojo on national TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcCC4BQM0Bg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0QTTNmOABk

the other one is from a newer dojo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU7Y1NXes0g

I hope this will be a good read, just letting you know that martial arts can and do evolve
carlos13th
Vagrant
Vagrant
Member for 3 years

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have experience training in the following

Krav Maga
BJJ
Muay Thai
Kickboxing
MMA

and I have taken a few classes but never seriously studied others such as

Judo
Several types of Karate
Kali/Eskrima

and the odd seminar here and there

I am personally a big believer in sparring and dislike schools that claim to teach useable self defence yet do not spar. To many black belts are confident they can use their skills in a fight despite never having been punched in the face.

I highly doubt anyone can beat 3 guys at the same time blindfolded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Martial Arts All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: