Register :: Log in :: Profile   


What is this instrument?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: What is this instrument? Reply with quote
I am trying to figure out what this intrument is. Anybody know? This guy is playing it at Yoyogi park.



_________________
http://twitter.com/28loki

Google+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1782

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know what that one is, but China has a whole passel of funky stringed instruments.


Tony
_________________
http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 1821
Location: 南加州

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not Japanese as far as I know. Looks African to me.
_________________
My blog on Japanese art & history: http://chaari.wordpress.com

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 1821
Location: 南加州

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
With a little research...

It seems to be a kora, from West Africa.
_________________
My blog on Japanese art & history: http://chaari.wordpress.com

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I had made an assumption since it was a guy playing in a J park. Ooops.
_________________
http://twitter.com/28loki

Google+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 4554
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:
Thanks. I had made an assumption since it was a guy playing in a J park. Ooops.



Dean Wormer, President of the SA College of Higher Samurai Knowledge, says, "Son, making assumptions and being a philistine who watches Lone Wolf and Cub movies on a weekend is no way to go through life. Instead, you should be enjoying fine Hostess brand snacks, eating Pocky, and reading Sharpe and Turnbull. Then you can be fat, happy and misinformed, and that, son, is the proper way to go through life."

Dean Wormer also says, "I recommend the fine films Shadow Hunters 1 & 2. Mrs. Wormer can't get enough of Yujiro, even though he is a bloated and drunken fool. I disagree with that clown, Obenjo, who thinks those films should be on double secret probation because he says they're terrible. What does that moron know about films?"
_________________

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1782

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And I thought it was Chinese 'cause they have some FUNKY looking instruments. Cool
_________________
http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
AJBryant wrote:
And I thought it was Chinese 'cause they have some FUNKY looking instruments. Cool


Ah, be careful. You don't want to assume. Wink

Obenjo, I assume you are talking about me.
_________________
http://twitter.com/28loki

Google+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 16 Dec 2006
Posts: 4554
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:

Obenjo, I assume you are talking about me.
Hey, don't assume anything! I don't think for Dean Wormer--I am only just the messenger. I wouldn't dare try to assume what he thinks. He never has been himself after Faber College dismissed him following the Delta House incident. All he talks about these days are twinkies, ding dongs and the perils of geting hoked on bad samurai films staring Ishihara Yujiro. Laughing
_________________

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
onnamusha
Archer
Archer
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 03 Apr 2008
Posts: 487
Location: Very rural Tennessee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
Tornadoes28 wrote:

Obenjo, I assume you are talking about me.
Hey, don't assume anything! I don't think for Dean Wormer--I am only just the messenger. I wouldn't dare try to assume what he thinks. He never has been himself after Faber College dismissed him following the Delta House incident. All he talks about these days are twinkies, ding dongs and the perils of geting hoked on bad samurai films staring Ishihara Yujiro. Laughing
From what I understand, Yujiro would fit right in at a Delta House toga party, although I'll bet he couldn't stuff a whole hamburger in his mouth. Then again, Katori Shingo could, so...well, where's this going anyway? Shingo is more like Douglas J. Niedermeyer, anyway.
_________________
"It is largely left to her (Nature) own natural bodily perfection, and she has no special need to resort to artificial coloring and powdering to look beautiful." -Takeda Shingen's "death poem," borrowed from Zen literature.

http://twitter.com/NagasakiOsada
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002457986799
http://tennterakoya.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 1420
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think for Dean Wormer--I am only just the messenger


And your message from the Dean would be "The time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me."
_________________
http://twitter.com/28loki

Google+
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor



Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 4923
Location: 京都日本 Cincinnati, OH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obenjo Kusanosuke wrote:
He never has been himself after Faber College dismissed him following the Delta House incident.


He ended up as a small college town police officer in "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" and was put to good use as an undead ventriloquist's dummy by a Klown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor



Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 1821
Location: 南加州

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know what's a neat instrument? The hang (prounounced something like "hah-ng" - short 'a' sound, not long 'a' sound like the English word 'to hang').

When I was living in London, I saw people playing them on the street, at street fairs, and in a modern/contemporary avant garde reimagining of a Noh play.

Haven't seen (or heard) them since.

Not the best, but one of many many videos of hang playing on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJswfXKJ3s
_________________
My blog on Japanese art & history: http://chaari.wordpress.com

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Help the Samurai Archives




alexisRed v1.2 // Theme Created By: Andrew Charron // Samuraized By: Aaron Rister

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group