Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Question about Shintoism
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renzaburo
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: the God of Martial Arts Reply with quote
Inu wrote:

I think you might be thinking of Fudo Myo-o, who is considered the patron deity of swordsmen, but he's a figure out of esoteric Buddhism.

First time I've heard of Fudo Myo-o, but you are correct in that I saw his statue which includes him holding a Sword. What surprises me is the fact that dieties are found in Buddhism. Maybe what would account for the presence of dieties in Buddhism is the practice of syncretism which combined differing religions. Maybe somebody can shed some light on the origin of that syncretism.
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Buddhism inherited its pantheon from Hinduism. Gods, demi-gods, demons etc. are all on the path to enlightenment. These immortals (of course, really the gods etc. can die and re-enter the karmic cycle) are at a disadvantage as compared to humans since their longevity allow their illusory nature to persist long after humans have had many chances to receive enlightenment by the cycles of death and rebirth. Although they have many powers and great wisdom they haven't reached enlightenment and thus attained Buddha-hood. John
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
shin no sen wrote:
Buddhism inherited its pantheon from Hinduism. Gods, demi-gods, demons etc. are all on the path to enlightenment. These immortals (of course, really the gods etc. can die and re-enter the karmic cycle) are at a disadvantage as compared to humans since their longevity allow their illusory nature to persist long after humans have had many chances to receive enlightenment by the cycles of death and rebirth. Although they have many powers and great wisdom they haven't reached enlightenment and thus attained Buddha-hood. John

This is true. It is the Human Realm where one has the chance to achieve enlightenment. I believe Buddhist state that even in the realm of the Gods, the Gods do not have the ability to achieve this state. It is my understanding that the Gods have it so good that they don't realize it won't last forever.

Google+
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The original "Snakes and Ladders" game was apparently about going up and down on the wheel of life, headed for enlightenment. Some of them had a ladder leading to reincarnation as a god, which actually meant you lost because there was nowhere to go from that state (and thus no release from this world of suffering).

-Josh
Tornadoes28
Oki no Kami
Oki no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JLBadgley wrote:
The original "Snakes and Ladders" game was apparently about going up and down on the wheel of life, headed for enlightenment. Some of them had a ladder leading to reincarnation as a god, which actually meant you lost because there was nowhere to go from that state (and thus no release from this world of suffering).

-Josh

Interesting. Thanks Josh. I thought that even a being in the realm of gods could actually still fall back to other realms such as the animal realm or hungry ghost realm.

Google+
Inu
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornadoes28 wrote:
JLBadgley wrote:

-Josh

Interesting. Thanks Josh. I thought that even a being in the realm of gods could actually still fall back to other realms such as the animal realm or hungry ghost realm.

My understanding, which is admittedly limited, is that the gods do *eventually* die and pass back into the wheel of karma, but the length of their lives when compared to humans is so great that it gives the illusion of immortality. Of course, this is just a roundabout way of denying the existence of gods without alienating the people who believe in them,IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: