Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Hokkaido Highway Blues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tokkie
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Hokkaido Highway Blues Reply with quote
by Will Ferguson. I think it was released in America as Hitching Rides With Buddha.

It is basically a travelogue of the author, who decided to hitch-hike the entire length of Japan with the sakura wave.

Has anyone else read it? I got it as a gift about two years ago, and I have probably read it through at least 4 times since then. It is hilariously funny and thoroughly enjoyable.

So, anyone else?
Shisendo
Bridge Guard
Bridge Guard
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was also released in Canada as Hitching Rides with Buddha. I found it quite funny. My only complaint was that the narrator seems to wilfully continue misunderstanding Japan just so that he can keep milking situations for comedic effect. It would have been nice to see some more growth over the course of the journey.
gozen
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Hokkaido Highway Blues Reply with quote
I loved this book, it made me laugh so many times. I read it at a time when I couldn't easily get my hands on books about Japan and it filled a void. I've read it more than a few times, because it still amuses me. There are plenty of books about Japan written by people who seem to have just happened upon the place, as if it is just another tick on their list of places to go and they have done no real research, but this one was, for me at least, a cut above that.
Tokkie
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shisendo wrote:
This was also released in Canada as Hitching Rides with Buddha. I found it quite funny. My only complaint was that the narrator seems to wilfully continue misunderstanding Japan just so that he can keep milking situations for comedic effect. It would have been nice to see some more growth over the course of the journey.

Ironically, I remember now that at a stage the author mentions that many who write about Japan wilfully obscures and mystifies it, because it is in their advantage to make Japan seem exotic and different.

I haven't been to Japan myself yet, so I really couldn't say, but I found this interesting in light of your remark.
Shisendo
Bridge Guard
Bridge Guard
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tokkie wrote:
Shisendo wrote:

Ironically, I remember now that at a stage the author mentions that many who write about Japan wilfully obscures and mystifies it, because it is in their advantage to make Japan seem exotic and different.

I haven't been to Japan myself yet, so I really couldn't say, but I found this interesting in light of your remark.

I don't remember that part, but it's enough to make me think I'd better re-read the book before saying anything else about it. Reading
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Literature Forum All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: