Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Tea ceremomy becoming popular with men

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Tea ceremomy becoming popular with men Reply with quote
Great article by the Japan Times on the tea cremomy and men. The article states that men are taking up the tea ceremony to relieve stress from work and to recharge their batteries.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20091110f2.html

When I was studying tea (Urasenke) at Gifu University 2000-1, most the students were female. Almost 85 percent. I am glad that more men are taking it up since it does relieve stress and a good bowl of matcha in a quiet setting does not hurt.

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still want to find someone that does tea pre-Sen; I don't know if there are any of those traditions left, but my understanding of the history is that before Sen no Rikkyu's popularization of the wabi-sabi aspects of tea, many people were adapting the Heian sake banquets to tea. I've heard that some of that might still exist in the "kuge cha" tradition of modern tea lineages, but I don't know enough to be certain and I've yet to see anyone really describe what that entails.

-Josh
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I continue to find it interesting that it has become such a women's art to begin with. In the context of today's tea ceremonies, so heavily dominated by women hosts and women guests, it's easy to forget, and hard to imagine, that this was ever a man's realm.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blame it on Ii Naosuke. He was one of the first tea snbs wih real power who pushed for gender equality in the art of tea. He definitely opened the door for women, but I am also at a los to explain with confidence how and why men started retreating from this art during the Meiji period. Anyway, I do know why it was more prevelant to see females studying and teaching the way of tea, but from what I can tell, a little more equality is now creeping back into it. This simply can be an issue of math. Fewer young women are studying tea cermony these days.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Josh Reyer
Rice Farmer
Rice Farmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tea ceremomy becoming popular with men Reply with quote
owari no utsuke wrote:

When I was studying tea (Urasenke) at Gifu University 2000-1, most the students were female. Almost 85 percent.
And now we know why more men are taking up the tea ceremony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Art and Religion All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: