Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Living Japanese: Conversations with native speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Living Japanese: Conversations with native speakers Reply with quote
I've been working through this book and DVD for the last few months and have just finished the final chapter. The format is informal interviews with Japanese men, women and children from all sorts of different backgrounds. They talk about marriage and work, family life, their school days, the environment, and various Japanese cultural traditions, kendo, anime and manga, and so on. Among those interviewed are a museum director, an architect, a cooper and an organic farmer. Many of the interviewees reappear in different chapters so they become almost like old friends. The book is made up of transcripts of the interviews in Japanese (but no English translation) with vocabulary and grammar notes at the end of each chapter.

I have found this book really helpful for improving reading and listening skills at intermediate level. The conversational styles, accents, speed of talking etc are all very different so help train the ear, and the vocabulary is just what you need for every day intelligent conversation.
This is the amazon.com link
http://tinyurl.com/ycd9b3b
Shisendo
Bridge Guard
Bridge Guard
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the lead. My problem is that I buy way more Japanese books than I finish. Sad Does anyone else suffer from this condition?
JLBadgley
Tsushima no Kami
Tsushima no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm, looking over our library of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and French books (not to mention some of the Enlish ones I Really Mean to Read Some Day)... I have no idea what you are talking about!

-Josh

PS: Really... I'll study all those languages. At some point. Maybe. When I have time...

PPS: help! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: