Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Kabuto help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoshinsa
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Kabuto help please Reply with quote
My first piece of Japanese armor. Found at a local auction,I am excited about a new treasure. The auction listing said "Meiji Period officer’s helmet"I know just enough to know that was not correct so I bid and was the winner. Now I would like to know as much as possible about what I have.I found one person at the Nihonto forum who has been kind enough to evaluate based on his expertise but any thoughts, comments, guesstimates as to origin, age,how best to clean,what you think would be a fair value (I will follow up with what I paid). Any info a newbie might benefit by would be most welcome.As I am 70 and not technically very proficient I am sadly neither a very good photographer or knowledgeable enough to figure out how to post links to individual photos but here is a link to some pics on photobucket http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/steibls200/ that shows my new treasure. Many thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge
Obenjo Kusanosuke
Kii no Kami
Kii no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have a nice kabuto- enjoy your purchase. However, it is really hard to say much in detail about the helmet based on the photos and I am not an expert. However, I would guess that this is a 32 ken (plate) helmet is from the late Edo period. Samurai armor was shed in exchange for western style uniforms at the onset of the Meiji Period.

Regarding how to clean your new purchase, you may want to check out the forum at Toraba's website. Toraba is one of the premier dealers of authentic antique samurai armor. You can access the forum site by clicking on this link http://www.toraba.com/forum. If you can't find an answer there, you can always post pictures of your kabuto there and ask them for some feedback.

Heee heee! Shita iro! Shita iro! Here comes his lordship, Baka Tono!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rekishinotabi
Ranger
Ashigaru
Ashigaru
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shoshinsa,

Congratulations on your recent kabuto purchase. Based on the photos provided, I agree with Obenjo's assessment of the helmet being from the late-Edo (possibly mid-Edo) Period (1750 – 1860).

I have a few Japanese historical pieces, but other than occasionally cleaning the dust off, I have never attempted any restoration out of fear of causing damage to the lacquer (which can become very brittle), leather or lacing. Hopefully someone can give you better advice.
shin no sen
Izumi no Kami
Izumi no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A nice sanjuniken sujikabuto. Above average, $3000-5000. Do not restore. John
AJBryant
Shikken
Shikken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What they said.

Is there a signature inside the bowl?
Shoshinsa
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Thanks for your replys to my questions Reply with quote
Thanks for your input everyone. I guess I was really fortunate as I paid a total of $1725.00 (a bid of $1500.00 plus the auction commission of 3% $225.00)I think that as the auction description was wrong perhaps it was not seen by other collectors.

I have taken some additional photos

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/steibls200/?newest=1

after very carefully dusting with an artists brush then going over the lacquered surfaces with damp q-tips followed by drying immediately with dry q-tips (lots of q-tips needless to say)I think it now looks much better.

I have looked as best I can for a signature inside and out of the hachi but as I could only see part of the inside as the lining is still semi intact no luck.

As I have no plans for a restoration I will have to leave that possible discovery to whoever is the next owner.

Would the mon on the fukigaeshi probably be the individual's or would it be the family he served? Your thoughts? Any hope of identifying?

Now I have to have a kake made and then search for a maedate and mempo.

Any additional thoughts or comments appreciated
Shoshinsa
Vagrant
Vagrant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Added mempo & maedate Reply with quote
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/steibls200/New%20Kabuto%20pics/IMG_1296.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: