Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Matsumoto Ryojun--where & when?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Matsumoto Ryojun--where & when? Reply with quote
Googling until my eyeballs are thoroughly pixilated, I've been all over the Web but have not been able to come up with an answer to this question I'm researching for some writing:

Where exactly, during the siege of Aizu Castle, was the Bakufu physician Matsumoto Ryojun?

Some sources state that he was "present," but was he inside or outside the castle and/or town? With which army was he working? While most sources describe him as "the Tokugawa doctor" I saw one that claimed he was part of the Imperial Army after Yoshinobu capitulated. I need to know where he was, with whom, doing what on the days leading up to and immediately after the castle's surrender.

I know that Matsumoto's journal was published in Japanese in 1904--anyone read it? I am so envious of those of you who are fluent enough in Japanese to avail yourselves of primary sources!

Thank you for any info. you can provide.

Owari
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shiba Ryôtarô wrote a novel Chôchô (or kochô) no yume which deals with the life of Matsumoto Jun. I haven’t read it but a friend of mine sent me a series of articles from the Weekly Asahi November-December 2008 which talk about the book and the historical figures. According to these Jun was briefly Tokugawa Yoshinobu’s physician – he was also doctor and perhaps only friend to Iemochi before his death. Jun had a close association with the Shinsengumi, as I am sure you know, and Kondô Isami considered him a brother. After the defeat at Toba-Fushimi Jun went with the surviving Shinsengumi members to Edo, and looked after the wounded Kondô and Okita who was dying of tb. Then apparently he went with Hijikata to Aizu-Wakamatsu castle and set up field hospitals for the forces of the Northern domains alliance. (He introduced the eating of beef to Aizu). He left the castle with Hijikata to try and persuade the domain lords to fight on, but separated from him in Sendai and returned to Yokohama where he was caught up in the general surrender. (Sorry, no exact dates are given for any of these movements.) He was imprisoned for a while but pardoned, joined the new regime and became an ardent proponent of military medicine, always pushing his pet theories of nutrition and hygiene.

By coincidence a book I was reading while away recently (on Edo period medicine) has quite a few pages about Matsumoto Jun, in particular his efforts to raise the status of doctors and win more respect for the profession. He was very fond of the Shinsengumi and admired their loyalty. Well, there’s a lot more about him that I could write but that’s all I have time for now. There’s a bit about him in Hillsborough’s book on the Shinsengumi and for battle conditions of the time you might like to look at William Willis who was a British doctor with the Satsuma forces and wrote many letters about his experiences.
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, Heron!

You have told me exactly what I needed to know. I've got Dr. Willis' book and it's very interesting, but his impressions of people of the northern domains seem to have been heavily influenced by Sat-Cho propaganda, though his descriptions of conditions "on the ground" there are very helpful.

Actually, the best book I've found in English to date on the Aizu-Wakamatsu debacle is Mitsugu Saotome's Okei: A Girl From the Provinces. A translation was published in '08 by Alma Books (UK) and the Japanese Literature Publishing Project (JLPP). It's a novel officially, but the battle details all jibe perfectly with Shiba Goro's Remembering Aizu, and are vividly rendered in even more detail. I'm sure the author must have gotten it directly from elders of his family. You would definitely enjoy it!

What I'd like beyond all is a biography in English of Lord Katamori, but as of this time no-such-animal seems to exist.

Thanks again,

Owari
heron
萩守
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm glad that was helpful Very Happy Yes, I must get hold of Okei, it looks very interesting.
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have Matsumoto Ryojun's biography written by himself.
According to that, he set up hospital in Nisshinkan.

Matsumoto Jun Jiden, P70.
会津の藩祖保科正之は徳川三代将軍の異母弟なり。
その封を受くるや、首として文武の学校を設く。
これを日新館という。
規模すこぶる宏大なり。
すなわちこの館を以て仮りに病院と定む。
Tatsunoshi
Miko no Kami
Miko no Kami
Forum Kanrei
Forum Kanrei
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shiki! Where have you been?
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was away from this forum too long, I forgot password Embarassed
And today I found it Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // The Bakumatsu to Meiji All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: