Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Lords of the Samurai: The Legacy of a Daimyo Family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taisho
Peasant
Peasant
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Lords of the Samurai: The Legacy of a Daimyo Family Reply with quote
Hello all,
Just wondering is this a good exhibition book to purchase from the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco.
Owarikenshi
Sandal Bearer
Sandal Bearer
Veteran Member
2010 Benefactor
2010 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a copy, and it will definitely give you a good cross-section of the better pieces they owned, by which you can get a good picture of how they lived and spent their time. Of several similar art catalogs I own, I think this one is most approachable.

Owarikenshi
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The newest issue of the Early Modern Japan journal includes a review of the exhibition and catalog, along with some other good stuff if you're interested in Edo period.

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/handle/1811/51325

I haven't read the review yet, but just looking at the title ("Should Museums Welcome Parody?"), and skimming a bit, I see that the reviewer, Prof. Morgan Pitelka, does address the parody/attacks by an anonymous group. The group called itself "Asians Art Museum," and accused San Francisco's Asian Art Museum - and this exhibition in particular - of being Orientalist, and by extension, racist.

I remember looking at their website, commenting (big mistake!), and otherwise getting tied up in the controversy a little bit myself, before extricating myself. I'm curious to see what this formal review has to say about it.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Making parody picture is no problem but this one http://www.asiansart.org/samurai1.html the atomic bomb blast behind the armor is bad taste.
Karoshi is nothing to do with Bushido.
I think museums should just display "stuffs", don't have to display their political opinions.
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
(1) The website you link to is the parody, not the museum's website. The museum would never do something so distasteful.

(2) It is impossible to display anything in a purely apolitical manner. Museums should, and often do, strive to avoid being too political.

But no matter how you display something, you could have displayed it differently. In making that choice, you're expressing a political view.

Did this exhibit give a pro-Hosokawa view? Or an anti-Hosokawa view? Did it focus on the military aspect of samurai culture? Or did it play it down, and emphasize the cultural, artistic, refined aspects of samurai culture? These are all political choices, and political messages. It's impossible to avoid entirely.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
shikisoku wrote:
Making parody picture is no problem but this one http://www.asiansart.org/samurai1.html the atomic bomb blast behind the armor is bad taste.
Karoshi is nothing to do with Bushido.
I think museums should just display "stuffs", don't have to display their political opinions.

That's way different than a museum display. That's a political organization trying to make their ridiculous point, and should be ignored as a bunch of idiots.
shikisoku
Yamashiro no Kami
Yamashiro no Kami
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see.
The contents are full of very typical Anti-Japan themes like you see on Arudou Debito community.
OK, that makes sense.

I remember the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco was attacked by Koreans when they displayed Empress Jingu's picture.
I'm sorry for the museum.
lordameth
Awa no Kami
Awa no Kami
Veteran Member
2009 Benefactor
2009 Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I remember the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco was attacked by Koreans when they displayed Empress Jingu's picture.
I'm sorry for the museum.

I'm sorry for the museum too. ... I actually wouldn't be surprised if this Asians Art Museum nonsense is coming from the same people who attacked the museum for the Empress Jingu stuff.

紫水晶殿 - The Amethyst Lord
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Arms and Armor All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: