Register :: Log in :: Profile   

Translation assistance: Shinchokoki
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owari no utsuke
Shima no Kami
Shima no Kami
Veteran Member
Multi-Year Benefactor
Multi-Year Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow this is great. I am looking at my own translation notes and wrote in the middle of the evening. Then again, that was a long time ago when I translated it.

http://www.otsuke.blogspot.com
ltdomer98
Daijo Daijin
Daijo Daijin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nags, thanks--much clearer. Been so long since I've done this...

Bethetsu wrote:
I am not sure what you meant by "painful," but you could describe it as "he left between seven and nine in the evening," (though as it was just after the winter solstice the night hours were longer that the day hours, so it was somewhat earlier).
Perhaps they waited for the (nearly) full moon to rise high enough.

No, it's in the end notes of the chapter, not in the context of a sentence. An event happens at the Hour of the Dog. Instead of explaining the Hour of the Dog as "7-9PM", he says "before and after 8PM". It's only because I know that the old "hours" were 2 hours long that I arrived at the conclusion that he means 7-9PM--I confirmed it with a quick googling. I understand that it was a flexible thing by time of year, etc.--just looking for the roundabout.

Quote:
(edit)
Perhaps I misunderstood. Are you saying that 戌の刻 = 午後八時前後 is a poor explanation?

Yes.

Quote:
It may not be as bad as you think. "Hour of the Dog" etc. can also refer to the central moment in the toki, the moment when the bell is struck for that toki. In fact, that is the first meaning given in the Kojien. In this case 午後八時前後 might not mean "from 7pm to 9pm," but rather "the moment around 8 pm, depending on the season." The explanation probably assumes a general knowledge of how the toki worked.

Argh.

Well, that's all fine and dandy that it can mean X, Y, or Z, but when you're trying to reconstruct a sequence of events, it's kind of important to know if he means "between 7-9PM" or "8PM". Knowing "how the toki worked" doesn't seem to get me any closer to a specific time. From the way he wrote the end note, I'll go with "around 8 PM" as a timeframe to use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Samurai Archives Citadel Forum Index // Japanese Language All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: